Garmin Problems

HunterBoudreau

It's surprising it worked so long as support for these plugins ended a long time ago because of security issues (the technology it depended on goes back to the 1990's!).

As a basic member there's not much you can do as you don't have access to GPX files nor pocket queries.

Just search the forums for "communicator" and you'll find plenty of reading material to keep you busy. Workarounds are also given.

48 minutes ago, HunterBoudreau said:

HELP!!!!!!!!! My computer has the plugin to download geocaches, and I have been, but today it stopped working!!!! What the heck??!??! It is a bad problem, as it won't work on google chrome, I CAN'T download the plugin on Internet Explorer, What do I Do??

As on4bam mentioned, "Garmin Communicator" is discussed regularly in these Forums.  There's plenty of reading for you. :cute:

If you don't do a lot of Geocaching, one option is to manually enter coordinates into your GPSr.  If you like to load a whole lot of caches, consider becoming a paying member, at which point, you don't even need to bother with "plugins" anymore.  And you'd have more options, such as the "GPX File" button to save a GPX file directly, or even better, "Pocket Queries" of entire towns, saved to the GPSr without need for plugins.  Which is nice, because keeping Garmin Communicator functioning was one huge hassle, and as far as I know, it can't be fixed anymore.  Again, see all the previous "Garmin Communicator" threads, since they detail the steps you might attempt to get it working.  But keep in mind that modern browsers are designed to prevent unsafe plugins from operating, a decent plan.

But as a basic member, you can use helper software such as "EasyGPS".  Download a LOC file from a cache page, import it, and send it to the GPSr.  EasyGPS (and others) converts LOC to GPX, and has a function to "Send To GPS".  That's one way to avoid typing coordinates.

If you become a paying member, delete the old cache files before loading new GPX files.  Garmin GPSrs get confused when "basic" and "premium member" GPX files exist together in the GPX folder.

Edited by kunarion