how do i translate ?

GMCAadventures

On 8/22/2017 at 10:15 AM, GMCAadventures said:

Hi there, I have tried to search the forums but have been unable to find what I'm looking for.  I'm going to France soon and would like to get a few caches whilst I'm out there.....but I'm unclear on how translate to French.....any help would be fantastic, thanks x

Depending on where you go in France you may find that many cache listings already include translations.  One thing that I've done for caches that are only in a language that I don't speak is to copy-n-paste the description into Google Translate, then copy the translated text as a personal note on the cache. 

Google translate doesn't seem to do slang well, but you'll get the gist of the description.

Many low D/T traditionals may not even need it, coordinates don't have to be translated.  Maybe just the hint.    :)

Quite a few at "tourist" areas often have English added (usually right below) to the native language.

I used 3 methods in our recent trip overseas:

1. on iOS you can install Microsoft Translate — it has an atrocious interface but adds a 'translate' option to Safari's share menu, so you can translate a cache page, including logs, in place.  It has some offline capabilities.
  2. again on iOS, Cachly has an option to translate each piece of info on a cache — but you have to e.g. select each individual log entry
  3. GSAK has a macro to translate caches.  This is the best option for offline translations, but is so fiddly I wouldn't bother again unless definitely going out of cell coverage.

As others have said, sometimes coords are all you need.  I found translations only gave a rough idea of the page, and some languages are notably better than others… French > English should be pretty good.

Have a look at some caches before you go to get an idea of what you'll be up for.

Attend an event!  It's wonderful meeting a random group of friendly people in a new country that you share a hobby with.