Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
GMCAadventures

how do i translate ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi there, I have tried to search the forums but have been unable to find what I'm looking for.  I'm going to France soon and would like to get a few caches whilst I'm out there.....but I'm unclear on how translate to French.....any help would be fantastic, thanks x

On 8/22/2017 at 10:15 AM, GMCAadventures said:

Hi there, I have tried to search the forums but have been unable to find what I'm looking for.  I'm going to France soon and would like to get a few caches whilst I'm out there.....but I'm unclear on how translate to French.....any help would be fantastic, thanks x

Depending on where you go in France you may find that many cache listings already include translations.  One thing that I've done for caches that are only in a language that I don't speak is to copy-n-paste the description into Google Translate, then copy the translated text as a personal note on the cache. 

Google translate doesn't seem to do slang well, but you'll get the gist of the description.

Many low D/T traditionals may not even need it, coordinates don't have to be translated.  Maybe just the hint.    :)

Quite a few at "tourist" areas often have English added (usually right below) to the native language.

DeepL seems to give a far better translation in many situations. Maybe you should give it a try?

I used 3 methods in our recent trip overseas:

1. on iOS you can install Microsoft Translate — it has an atrocious interface but adds a 'translate' option to Safari's share menu, so you can translate a cache page, including logs, in place.  It has some offline capabilities.
  2. again on iOS, Cachly has an option to translate each piece of info on a cache — but you have to e.g. select each individual log entry
  3. GSAK has a macro to translate caches.  This is the best option for offline translations, but is so fiddly I wouldn't bother again unless definitely going out of cell coverage.

As others have said, sometimes coords are all you need.  I found translations only gave a rough idea of the page, and some languages are notably better than others… French > English should be pretty good.

Have a look at some caches before you go to get an idea of what you'll be up for.

Attend an event!  It's wonderful meeting a random group of friendly people in a new country that you share a hobby with.

I use option #3 above because I know I will always be "out of cell range" as  I stay in airplane mode for entire overseas trips.  It works great and it preloads interpreted caches into my GPSr and my phone. 

We are in Portugal. Some times the cache is translated automatically. When it is not I cannot find the trigger.

Does any one have a way to trigger a translation.

1 hour ago, NiagaraBob said:

We are in Portugal. Some times the cache is translated automatically. When it is not I cannot find the trigger.

Does any one have a way to trigger a translation.

What are you using to view cache pages?