Little Things You Love About Geocaching

In another thread, we talk about "what irks us the most" about geocaching.  How about listing some of the little things that we enjoy about it?  Some of mine...

1. Finding caches located near scenic overlooks.

2. Finding caches with the original logbook, especially if they were placed earlier than 2010.  Given how many logbooks get destroyed, it's fun for me to see the older ones completely intact.

3. When somebody else logs a cache on the same day as me, particularly in cases where the previous find was many months earlier.

4. Going after a previous DNF and finding it quickly.  This always leaves me wondering if it was moved/replaced since my first visit or if I was just blind the first time!

• Upvote 4

For me (and I've read posts of others who say similar) discovering a new location that I didn't know about before is the best part of Geocaching.

I don't know how many times I have looked at the geocaching map and thought "Humm, looks like there are a few caches over there, let's check it out". So I go and find a park, or a trail, or beautiful view, or interesting historical landmark. Then I think "I've lived in this area my whole life and never knew this was here!!!

Or, cache owners often give you the local secrets about areas I don't live in. Last year I visited Scotland. Some people in our tour group wanted to take a side trip to see a monument on top of a hill, but it appeared we would not have time to walk all the way around on the road and back again before the bus returned to pick us up. I had researched the caches in the area and said "actually, there's a little trail that goes up the the back of the hill through the trees. We should have time to go up that way." The group was amazed. How did I know about this obscure little shortcut? Geocaching!

• Upvote 3

I especially enjoy those "aha" moments, whether it's figuring out the solution to a particularly clever puzzle, or spotting an especially well-camouflaged hidden-in-plain-sight cache.

I also enjoy caches that give me an excuse to stare at public art for a while.

10 hours ago, MysteryGuy1 said:

In another thread, we talk about "what irks us the most" about geocaching.  How about listing some of the little things that we enjoy about it?  Some of mine...

2. Finding caches with the original logbook, especially if they were placed earlier than 2010.  Given how many logbooks get destroyed, it's fun for me to see the older ones completely intact.

A soda tube hidden at the back of a parking lot sure is more memorable when the original log is still inside, isn't it!? I always take a picture of the first few finders signatures when we come across one. 

Edited by Mama514
I mispeled

Here is my list of little things I enjoy about geocaching.

1. Walking where some interesting story from history occurred.  Geocaching is a great way to bring little-known history close.

2. The stillness of places.

3. Finding beauty everywhere along the route to a cache. 

4. Letting the place and finding a cache tell its own story.  

5. The name Groundspeak.  

6. Reading the name and date of the last person to find the cache, thinking of their adventure coming to this place. 

7. Signing the log. I was here.

8. Taking a little of the place with me. All good memories.

I agree with many of the above, I will just add:

• The metal clank when opening and closing an ammo can.
  • The discovery of swag that you or your child wants to trade for.
  • Going to an event where you don't know anyone and being instantly accepted. 
  • Finding a cache that has either been DNF'd recently by multiple people or that hasn't been found in years.
  • The relief felt when getting back to the car right before the sun goes down and getting out of the park before they close the gates. 
15 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

Finding a cache across the country, or in another country, and seeing familiar names of caching friends in the logbook.  "We were both here, at this spot, at different times."

Two states away -- My buddy and I found the all too familiar signature of one of the charter members from our hometown right above us as we worked through a geo-art...  Got a hold of him and learned we had missed each other by about 2 hours. Small, fascinating world. 

5 minutes ago, mvhayes1982 said:

Two states away -- My buddy and I found the all too familiar signature of one of the charter members from our hometown right above us as we worked through a geo-art...  Got a hold of him and learned we had missed each other by about 2 hours. Small, fascinating world. 

That's one of the reasons I add the time when signing of the log.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty new to the hobby so I get a kick out of finding a new type of cache container I havnt seen before. 

With only 30 odd finds I think I still have lots of different container types to discover.

It's funny how a cache container like a fake leaf hanging from a tree I found the other day put a smile on me and my sons face. The creativity of a cache container inspires and pleases me. :D

Also just thinking about the caches I've found being out there as I ride by them from day to day is cool to think about. 

Edited by sasquatchlover
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sasquatchlover said:

I'm pretty new to the hobby so I get a kick out of finding a new type of cache container I havnt seen before. 

Yep, and we have seen some very neat containers that took a lot of time and $ to create. There's also the folks who hide those micro containers in a very clever way. Found many by one guy in particular in our state and they always make me either laugh or think, now how on earth did he think to do THAT?

On 8/21/2017 at 10:48 AM, MysteryGuy1 said:

1. Finding caches located near scenic overlooks.

3. When somebody else logs a cache on the same day as me, particularly in cases where the previous find was many months earlier.

4. Going after a previous DNF and finding it quickly.  This always leaves me wondering if it was moved/replaced since my first visit or if I was just blind the first time!

I've learned to appreciate #2 over the years.  I tend to check on my caches often and in the past I would usually replace a log whether it needed it or not.   Now I leave them in the cache until there just about full.   I've also started leaving bigger, longer logs which will hold a little more of that cool geocaching history.

As for me I enjoy just about every aspect of geocaching,  but I particularly like it's ability to morph into what you need it to be at any given time in your life.