Corrected coordinates - another problem

gasbottle

The web site now displays caches with corrected coordinates only while they're unfound. Once they're found they display at the posted coordinates.

Today I have to do some maintenance on some caches that are part of a series of 61. I adopted the caches after I had found them. The caches are laid out around an inlet, so to minimise the driving I want to drive just one way around the series, but the series is not laid out in numerical order. I don't remember which caches are in which location, although I know where to look at each GZ. 

The problem I have now is that because I have found them,  the map displays the caches I have found at their posted coordinates. Even as cache owner I can't get a map with the corrected coordinates on. (For caches I own but have not adopted this isn't a problem). I'm left with the tedious task of opening every cache in the list to look at the thumbnail map.

It's frustrating because the Search map used to display corrected coordinates by default. Now there's no quick way to visualise the location. 

For those who want to look at pretty pictures on the map, it's fine. For those of use who have a real need to see caches at corrected coordinates this is a retrograde step.

I can work around the problem with third party applications, but I shouldn't need to - the Groundspeak system DID do this. It should do it again!

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with you, It just makes no sense that there's a difference between found and unfound caches.

Why not just a simple user configurable option (as well on the website and in the Geocaching app) to choose whether you want to see the corrected coordinates or the original ones (and maybe even splitted in two for found/unfound caches) and let everyone choose by themselves what they prefer.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again in this thread.

Since you've already got the code for the current behavior, and since there are actually people who like it, it might be a good idea to have three settings for the behavior of corrected coordinates: always show corrected, always show posted, and "automatic" (the current behavior, where found caches show posted, and unfound caches show corrected).

• Upvote 1
On 8/20/2017 at 3:49 PM, gasbottle said:

The web site now displays caches with corrected coordinates only while they're unfound. Once they're found they display at the posted coordinates.

. . . .

For those who want to look at pretty pictures on the map, it's fine. For those of use who have a real need to see caches at corrected coordinates this is a retrograde step.

I can work around the problem with third party applications, but I shouldn't need to - the Groundspeak system DID do this. It should do it again!

Totally agree!  The site should value functionality over "aesthetics".  This is called "geocaching" not "pretty pictures."

46 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Totally agree!  The site should value functionality over "aesthetics".  This is called "geocaching" not "pretty pictures."

I have to admit, while I see the merit of niraD's suggestion of letting people choose, I'm not convinced it's worth the effort. If someone really wants to see the pretty picture again as they find the caches, they can just restore the original coordinates manually after each find. This actually provides an additional level of flexibility not available in niraD's suggestion: someone could wait until they find the entire series, and only then restore all the original coordinates to put the original picture back in place.

15 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I have to admit, while I see the merit of niraD's suggestion of letting people choose, I'm not convinced it's worth the effort. If someone really wants to see the pretty picture again as they find the caches, they can just restore the original coordinates manually after each find. This actually provides an additional level of flexibility not available in niraD's suggestion: someone could wait until they find the entire series, and only then restore all the original coordinates to put the original picture back in place.

Or, if some geo-artist ever creates one image with the posted coordinates and another image with the solved coordinates, then my suggestion would allow users to toggle back and forth between the two images.

8 hours ago, niraD said:

Or, if some geo-artist ever creates one image with the posted coordinates and another image with the solved coordinates, then my suggestion would allow users to toggle back and forth between the two images.

That would be quite a coup, but it's unlikely to be done more than once, so I don't think we need to design the system for it.

9 hours ago, dprovan said:

That would be quite a coup, but it's unlikely to be done more than once, so I don't think we need to design the system for it.

It would be fun do see someone do that but it isn't as difficult as it might seem especially west of the Mississippi many (most?) geopics are composed of only traditional caches because there is space for them.  Create the physical picture first, then use unknown or mutlis to create the virtual picture.

11 hours ago, dprovan said:

Then maybe we could design the system around the purely practical reasons for users wanting to see caches in either their published locations or in their actual solved locations, depending on the circumstances. For example, if I'm placing a cache, I want to see the physical locations of nearby caches. But if I'm listing a mystery/puzzle cache, then I want to avoid placing the bogus posted coordinates on top of the bogus posted coordinates of other mystery/puzzle caches, or on top of the initial virtual waypoint of a multi-cache, and so on.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

It would be fun do see someone do that but it isn't as difficult as it might seem especially west of the Mississippi many (most?) geopics are composed of only traditional caches because there is space for them.  Create the physical picture first, then use unknown or mutlis to create the virtual picture.

Right. So I'm thinking that anyone out west is going to be happy with the traditional caches making a picture and not bother with the puzzle cache picture. I've only ever seen people go to the extra trouble of inventing a bunch of puzzles because they can't draw a picture with traditional caches. Even if the idea became something of a fad and lots of people did it when they didn't need to, I still don't think that's reason enough to design the implementation to support it.

I agree with the OP point that the website map used to support seeing either corrected coords or posted coords, depending on how one viewed the map. Either via the Browsing Map or Search Results.  I posted it many times in the forums. I often had multiple tabs in my browser so I could toggle between the two views when planning a caching route.  The new feature has removed the option to view either corrected or posted.

In the July 29th Release Notes thread, I posted my reasoning behind having a toggle option.  HERE   Later on, in another thread, niraD mentioned the additional option of having an 'auto' function that matches the current behavior.

The OP has mentioned a valid reason to have the corrected coords shown for found caches. I don't think it's a trivial issue to investigate the options available. Whether it's a toggle only  vs  toggle+auto, or whether it's on the website and/or the apps.  The DNF toggle option is only available on the website, so maybe the 'corrected' toggle is also only on the website.