Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny the fox

Softening up a pair of Berghaus GTX boots

Ive got two pairs of Berghaus GTX boots, the suede/gortex ones.

One pair is fine, but the other pair feels really stiff and presses against the top f my ankle when walking any more than a few miles.

Ive tried 'walking' them in but they hurt too much.

Is there a way to soften them up?

ive done about 20km so far in them and they have had a couple of soakings in streams.

im thinking their is a slight difference in cut that might not be compatible with my foot shape.

i was kind of hoping i could find some magic spray that would make them soft

2 hours ago, jonny the fox said:

ive done about 20km so far in them and they have had a couple of soakings in streams.

im thinking their is a slight difference in cut that might not be compatible with my foot shape.

i was kind of hoping i could find some magic spray that would make them soft

Magic spray?  :D

Can't tell you how many times one boot doesn't fit like the other when I'm  trying  them on.    Doesn't matter what brand either.

Did you try both on when fitting them?  I'd bet not, but many don't.  Bet that's why you see so many returns in Cabela's bargain cave.   Improper fitting is the biggest reason for sore feet.    ;)

That link from kunarion is sorta correct, you need to get those spots before heading out.  20k is just making sore spots if wearing boots not broken in.  For now, moleskin on your foot,  under your sock  in that area might help a bit, with a sock made for hiking.

- But suede usually doesn't need that much breaking in like a full-grain all-leather boot. 

The issue (now) for you is you have a pair of gore tex boots that you've improperly worn for some time.  Can't beat them too badly to soften up, or it could ruin the gore tex membrane that keeps your feet dry.  Look at the inside stitching and see if there's excess material sticking out that could be sanded down where that sore spot is.  Sometimes the stitching itself has a bad knot.

If you haven't already treated your leather/fabrics after getting a "soaking" (many don't do that either...), do so now, and you have a pair of boots for the yard until broken in.    :)

I got a new pair of stiff  Danner quarry in June for the yard.  Though I've often worn work boots hiking, I wouldn't think of wearing them hiking for some time yet, until they're well broken-in. 

Good luck.

Edited by cerberus1
expanification

Rather than continue an already-long post...  :)

As far as "softening" (your magic spray), a pair of boots aren't like applying neat's-foot oil or a conditioner to a soft leather chore glove, or a well-worn baseball glove.

You need support for a good pair of boots to serve well.  Your issue seems to be on the inside anyway...

Treatment for suede is usually a spray silicone  today, after a good brushing each time worn.

I used to believe in the "break them in" philosophy, but anymore, if they don't fit reasonably well right out of the box, I won't buy them.  If I did 20 km in a pair of boots, and things tended to only get worse, I'd return them.  I don't have time to monkey around with stuff like that.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

I used to believe in the "break them in" philosophy, but anymore, if they don't fit reasonably well right out of the box, I won't buy them.  If I did 20 km in a pair of boots, and things tended to only get worse, I'd return them.  I don't have time to monkey around with stuff like that.

+1 sorta

"Reasonably" being the key.  :)     I  haven't worn a pair of hikers that didn't need time to adjust to my foot, unlike the sneaker-like things the other 2/3rds wears that she claims are hikers too.

We see issues like the OP  a lot in folks who buy online.  Maybe had a pair years before that fit great. Some odd reason some believe that sizes/styles all fit the same, that "no need to try that second pair on, they'll fit " kinda thing.

I agree, if they can return a pair of boots worn and soaked a few times, it's a good idea.  :)

• Upvote 1