Fire Station Hide

chawni

We've come across caches at fire stations but all were hidden away from active areas. I would ask at the fire station and see what they say. It also depends on how much area you have to work with for cache placement, where finders of the cache would park, and then access the cache. You certainly don't want the cache or its finders interfering with normal and emergency services.

• Upvote 3

I would at least make sure that I'm talking to the shift supervisor - not the new probie who you first spotted while he was mopping the floor.  Whoever you talk with, ask them to pass on the information to the other shifts.  There are a few examples of bomb squad call-outs at police stations because the day watch supervisor granted permission, but didn't tell his colleagues or superiors.

In my experience as a reviewer, fire departments are usually eager to help with a cache placement at a safe spot (see Mudfrog's good advice) near their station.  Watching geocachers and striking up conversations with them gives the firefighters something to do in between calls.  In contrast, caches hidden without permission at locations like this often go horribly sideways.  That is why "government buildings" are listed as one of the "off limits" locations in the guidelines.

Be sure to say on your cache page, and in a note within the cache container, that permission was granted by the City XYZ Fire Department -- just in case a geocacher is asked what they are doing.

If you document all your efforts in a reviewer note ("I spoke with Chief Jones, who helped me pick out a spot way in the back....") then your reviewer can get comfortable with making an exception to the listing guidelines.

• Upvote 1

When I approached a city fire station about placing a cache at the station, the admin assistant (who was familiar with geocaching!) went and talkde to her higher ups, and their consensus was "This is public property, we can't say yes or no - but we appreciate you letting us know it's there so we are aware".  The cache is not placed yet, it's going to be part of a series highlighting Eagle scout projects in our area.  One of the projects happens to have been done at the fire station.  And the cache is planned near the admin/offic entrance, away from the fire engines, and there is ample parking close by.

9 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

When I approached a city fire station about placing a cache at the station, the admin assistant (who was familiar with geocaching!) went and talkde to her higher ups, and their consensus was "This is public property, we can't say yes or no - but we appreciate you letting us know it's there so we are aware".  The cache is not placed yet, it's going to be part of a series highlighting Eagle scout projects in our area.  One of the projects happens to have been done at the fire station.  And the cache is planned near the admin/offic entrance, away from the fire engines, and there is ample parking close by.

That's important, and thanks for asking for, and sorta getting permission.    :)

When we asked a local fire station, they said it wasn't "public property" , and they were worried of someone blocking vehicles/access  when needed.  Up aways from us, a fire company allows those heading for a cache not even on their property to park alongside the building. 

Guess it's who you ask. 

29 minutes ago, niraD said:

When I've sought permission, I didn't start by asking for permission. I started by asking who in the organization had the authority to grant permission.

Not sure why you responded to my postWhat  did I say that gave you the  idea we didn't go to the top to ask? 

I simply gave two examples of differing opinions, depending on that company's policy.   Who you ask.    :)

19 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Not sure why you responded to my postWhat  did I say that gave you the  idea we didn't go to the top to ask? 

I simply gave two examples of differing opinions, depending on that company's policy.   Who you ask.    :)

Sorry, I was just trying to expand on your thought that when you seek permission, who you ask is important.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

This is public property, we can't say yes or no

That's an interesting response.  Government property, even government property that is open to the public, is not the same thing as public property.  But hey, sounds like tacit permission, so fair enough.

I recently had to post "needs archived" for a micro that was hidden along the fence line of one of the military installations I support; they didn't ask and there's no way we'd've given permission for one that close to the entry gate.

7 hours ago, hzoi said:

That's an interesting response.  Government property, even government property that is open to the public, is not the same thing as public property.  But hey, sounds like tacit permission, so fair enough.

Yes, they seemed to be all for it, and the Eagle project (restoration of an antique fire bell and a structure to display it) lends itself to adding a bit to the display to house (hide)  the cache.  The scout who did the project, and the fire department all gave the OK, so now we just need to "build it".  It's well out of the way of any emergency vehicle traffic.

8 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:
16 hours ago, hzoi said:

Yes, they seemed to be all for it, and the Eagle project (restoration of an antique fire bell and a structure to display it) lends itself to adding a bit to the display to house (hide)  the cache.  The scout who did the project, and the fire department all gave the OK, so now we just need to "build it".  It's well out of the way of any emergency vehicle traffic.

At the main firestation in town there's a very large old fire bell near the entrance to the building.  I always thought it would be a great spot for a geocache,  especially for a family with small children that might want to meet a fireman.

To be honest I tend to shy away from caches like this.  Too many bad experences caused by cache owners that didn't get proper premission.   If the cache page includes permission information and it looks like it's from the right person,  I may give it a shot.    If you are thinking about hiding a cache in a public place like this please make sure you speak to the right people and include that information on the cache page.   I may just stop by.  

Edited by justintim1999
spelling
8 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

To be honest I tend to shy away from caches like this.  Too many bad experences caused by cache owners that didn't get proper premission.   If the cache page includes permission information and it looks like it's from the right person,  I may give it a shot.    If you are thinking about hiding a cache in a public place lit this please make sure you speak to the right people and include that information on the cache page.   I may just stop by.  

It must specify where we can park (and where not to park or walk).  I've parked around places like this before, suddenly surprised that I'm in the way of the emergency vehicles. The whole place is always dead when I arrive, and a big emergency as soon as I park. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I guess because in some peoples' minds they assume tax dollars are paying for the building that its public property. With everything, there are limitations. My main concern with a firehouse would be cachers parking in front of the truck lanes or finding their way into restricted areas of a police station. My .02.  

On 8/19/2017 at 7:06 AM, Wacka said:

In Livermore, CA there is a virtual cache IN the fire station (World Record Light Bulb-GC6B3A). It is a list bulb that has been burning since 1901. There is a webcam for it and they welcome visitors whenever the station is open.

I'll be stopping by for this one. Thanks! 

On 8/22/2017 at 7:56 AM, SeattleWayne said:

My main concern with a firehouse would be cachers parking in front of the truck lanes or finding their way into restricted areas of a police station. My .02.  

Agreed - but there IS public parking nearby the cache location, well out of the emergency vehicle traffic lanes.  I will be adding a parking waypoint, and will also be sure to be clear that it is placed with permission.  I've been travelling, but returninghome soon to get this one going.  Thanks for the feedback on what you, as a cacher, feel when encountering one of these "fire/police station" hides.  I don't think you would have any qualms going after this one.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, SeattleWayne said:

Not about my fellow geocachers, no. About people? Yes. Sometimes as people we get caught up in the moment and may or may not realize what we are doing or where we are parking our vehicles. :unsure:

But your main concern was geocachers parking in front of the truck lanes or finding their way into restricted areas of a police station, so now it's not? I'm confused.:unsure:

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I would guess that would be different in different areas or states