Release Notes (Website: Events Calendar) - August 17, 2017

Went to my Dashboard for the first time in a long while from my phone's browser (Firefox for Android app and Samsung's "Internet" app). I can't see the calendar there. I tried both portrait and landscape orientations.

The only Dashboard content I can see is the left nav column. Can't see Recently Viewed or Recent Activity or the Event Calendar.

Are there plans to remedy this? Would be helpful to at least see the Calendar via mobile. I'm not as concerned about the Recent stuff. :P

Edited by noncentric
Typo
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, noncentric said:

Went to my Dashboard for the first time in a long while from my phone's browser (Firefox for Android app and Samsung's "Internet" app). I can't see the calendar there. I tried both portrait and landscape orientations.

The only Dashboard content I can see is the left nav column. Can't see Recently Viewed or Recent Activity or the Event Calendar.

Are there plans to remedy this? Would be helpful to at least see the Calendar via mobile. I'm not as concerned about the Recent stuff. :P

After seeing noncentric's post, I tried it myself in Safari on my iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3, and I see the same thing. Just the header, left menu bar, and footer. Everything looks as expected on my desktop.

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing this up. Yeah, unfortunately this is due to our current navigation bar on the site. The Dashboard won't be mobile friendly until we completely redo the nav - which is a big project. When we took a look at the data for how the Dashboard is being used we found the vast majority of use was coming from a desktop - most likely for planning purposes. We know that it's a problem for a lot of pages, but it's not currently on the roadmap.

Have you looked into dynamic content where different HTML would be served based on useragnet sniffing? It's certainly possible to default to a certain view and switch between mobile and desktop if desired. That was there can be a significant design difference between the desktop dashboard and the mobile dashboard, but only in the frontend layout; and without sacrificing an optimized experience for either user. (yeah though, a big project ;P)

Nice feature but why does the calendar start on a Sunday? To my knowledge only in the USA, in Israel, in Japanand China as well as some Arabic countries (sorry if I forgot a country in my list) the week starts on a Sunday. In the majority of countries worldwide the calendars start on a Monday. At least make the calendar configurable.

And what is this crazy 160km radius? Just for the month of September I get 45 events.displayed. If I change my PQ for events accordingly I see even 65 events in Spetember within 160km. Please make the radius adjustable for this feature to be useful. I personally would set the radius to 20km which would still return 26 events in my area. More than plenty for me.

8 hours ago, ratnig said:

Nice feature but why does the calendar start on a Sunday? To my knowledge only in the USA, in Israel, in Japanand China as well as some Arabic countries (sorry if I forgot a country in my list) the week starts on a Sunday. In the majority of countries worldwide the calendars start on a Monday. At least make the calendar configurable.

Calendars in Australia start on Sunday too, for what it's worth.

I understand that the plump tangerine floating over the "Message" icon means that I have new messages, and that it clears once I read them.

But ever since the "Calendar" update (which I like) went live, I also seem to have the tangerine floating over my avatar icon. And I plain just can't figure out what I need to "click" to acknowledge whatever news for me that it desperately wants to indicate. It temporarily goes away, but next time I visit the page, it is BAAACK.  

I know I have five unpublished caches, and 30 draft logs that I have yet to submit. I hope that's not the reason for the tangerine?  If not, then what is?

tangerine.png

Edited by wesi
grammar
17 hours ago, wesi said:

I understand that the plump tangerine floating over the "Message" icon means that I have new messages, and that it clears once I read them.

But ever since the "Calendar" update (which I like) went live, I also seem to have the tangerine floating over my avatar icon. And I plain just can't figure out what I need to "click" to acknowledge whatever news for me that it desperately wants to indicate. It temporarily goes away, but next time I visit the page, it is BAAACK.  

I know I have five unpublished caches, and 30 draft logs that I have yet to submit. I hope that's not the reason for the tangerine?  If not, then what is?

tangerine.png

The yellow dot is because you have pending draft logs. Once you've cleared the pending logs, the dot would disappear. That feature has been in place for awhile. (Long before the Events Calendar widget.)

On 9/10/2017 at 10:45 PM, Gill & Tony said:

I don't know if this has already been reported.

When i look at the september (current month) calendar all events listed are local.

When i move to October  there is one event listed - in Florida.  This isn't local to me in NSW.

One of our goals was to highlight the Mega and Giga events that take place around the world. If you do not have a Mega/Giga in your area then we will find the next closest one.

2 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:

One of our goals was to highlight the Mega and Giga events that take place around the world. If you do not have a Mega/Giga in your area then we will find the next closest one.

That sounds like a reasonable idea.

However, is there any way I can turn it off?  The fact that there is a mega 12000Km away isn't  of much interest to me, and I can only find out that what is on that date isn't of interest to me is by clicking the button.