Mary Hyde Trackable Code - What is it?

Maybe I am just too new to Geocaching or have not been looking in the right places. I am not sure what the trackable code is, I submitted the info for it and am just awaiting the email that is supposed to come "By August 24th", but I am just curious about what exactly the tracking code is for?

9 minutes ago, HawkMan1999 said:

Maybe I am just too new to Geocaching or have not been looking in the right places. I am not sure what the trackable code is, I submitted the info for it and am just awaiting the email that is supposed to come "By August 24th", but I am just curious about what exactly the tracking code is for?

I guess you haven't received the code at this time.

If it's not an actual coin, it's a number you can inscribe on a tag or some object, or write on a name tag, or put on a pack or shirt or sign (such as a car magnet).  Keep it safe til you do think of a cool way to use it. No rush :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I guess you haven't received the code at this time.

If it's not an actual coin, it's a number you can inscribe on a tag or some object, or write on a name tag, or put on a shirt or sign (such as a car magnet).  Keep it safe til you do think of a cool way to use it. 

Awesome, good to know. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HawkMan1999 said:

It's a trackable code. Read about Trackables and you'll have your answers. 

1 hour ago, HawkMan1999 said:

The trackable that you own has a unique code on it which is actually what is tracked by the system rather than the physical object.

You'll be receiving a trackable code which you can write / etch / scribe / paint / print onto an object of your choosing, rendering said object a fully-fledged trackable.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Nastiusha said:

Oh, looks like I finally found the info I was looking for. Just to make it all clear till the last drop - we're free to make our own trackable with the code? And use it like coin/tag?

Yes, exactly.  

In fact, when you come across TB stickers on cachers' cars, you'll see that many of them are "TB dog tags".  That's because buying a dog tag TB is the easiest way to get a valid code to use.  The vendor who made the sticker, or the cacher who had it made, doesn't need the actual metal tag for anything, they just bought one for the code on it.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

I just had a horrible thought -- someone taking their new free trackable code and tattooing it on themselves. :blink:

What's wrong with that? There are lots of trackable tattoos out there already. Just here in town, there were two for years and a few more cachers got some recently. Here's the one my sister got a couple of months ago (see the gallery for a photo of it). If you send a photo of the trackable tattoo to Groundspeak, they'll change the icon of the trackable to the special "Travel Bug Tattoos" one: 3966.gif