If there were no rules regarding location for hiding caches

LeadOxide

Moderator Note:  This topic was locked in response to a request from the OP.  Per Section 14 of the Forum Guidelines, threads are  not norrmally deleted.

If Groundspeak's Geocaching website had no specific rules regarding where you could hide a Geocache, meaning, as long as there was a physical container at the coordinates that a reviewer could reach out and touch, the cache would be published. Is there anywhere specific you would put a Geocache? (In this scenario the 161 metre rule still applies)

I myself would place one within the abandoned paper mill beside my town, the mill was partially demolished to remove the machinery but i'm sure there would be tons of amazing hiding spots for containers of all shapes and sizes. The Mill is still technically owned by a development company, so no caches can be placed (in fact, you can't even step foot on the property.), but it's fun to think about all the tiny nooks and crannies that the place is almost certainly littered with.

Edited by Keystone

If I had my wish, I'd like to put a cache at Wow Woy's Spion Kop, an amazing rock formation with a beautiful view over the water. National Parks actually said my chosen hiding place back from the cliff edge would be fine, but sadly the existing track out there crosses a rock platform with sensitive Aboriginal engravings on it so they wouldn't allow it. I respect their decision, though, and Groundspeak's position of not allowing caches in national parks unless the parks authority approves them, and have now found an alternative spot in the park, perhaps not quite as picturesque, that everyone's happy with.

DSC_0472a.jpg

Have you read the guidelines? I know they say where not to put them but anywhere you would want to put them you have to think about the outcome of your placement. Is it going to damage property, do you have permission to put it on private property, Is it  going to attracted a lot of attention of muggles, etc.

An old church in my town was purchased a couple of years ago by a couple who decided to change it into a wedding venue. I was told no to placing a cache container on the property but if virtuals were allowed, I might be able to get the land owner to agree to having folks drive by and have a look. It's the only remaining historic structure there (except for a few private residences) because the city tore down all the rest. 

2 hours ago, LeadOxide said:

If Groundspeak's Geocaching website had no specific rules regarding where you could hide a Geocache, meaning, as long as there was a physical container at the coordinates that a reviewer could reach out and touch, the cache would be published. Is there anywhere specific you would put a Geocache? (In this scenario the 161 metre rule still applies)

Assuming you do know that Reviewers don't check caches before published...

I would have liked to replace the fun caches we had on the Appalachian Trail that the NPS canned for a pipeline. 

We even got mail from hikers saying they were bummed that they couldn't stop for TP and other supplies any longer.

But if folks could place anywhere, this hobby would be banned pretty quickly due to private property /trespassing issues.  :)

29 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

There could be some pretty cool caches made if the "no bury" rule were suspended. Not actually buried caches, but ones utilizing (newly installed) pipes, etc.

I have seen caches inside pipes etc. The guideline does not prevent to use holes which are already in the ground. If you are not going to bury your cache, you can put it in the hole under a rock for example.

Edited by arisoft
27 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I have seen caches inside pipes etc. The guideline does not prevent to use holes which are already in the ground. If you are not going to bury your cache, you can put it in the hole under a rock for example.

Yes, I know that. I'm talking about cool caches that could be made that would require new excavation. :)

11 hours ago, arisoft said:

This makes me wonder what would be a place where a cache can not be made even with the permission of a landowner?

Perhaps property immediately adjacent to another property that had not given permission for cachers to enter and complained (seen that once or twice).  Or even absent complaint, property immediately adjacent to an area with security concerns, like just outside an airport fence or school yard.