The Search

bigkid

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14410

Hey, wanted to see who's coming to The Search?!?! Only $25, lots of great caches including 2 guest caches, 1 by Seth! and 1 by Moun10Bike.

2 hours from Seattle, just getting to the site will be a cool cache in it's own right. Lunch included, Prizes worth over $1,000 being given away, Bryan Roth from Groundspeak/Geocaching will be there, and most of all, it's a benefit for the Washington National Park Fund (hopeing to help make Geocaching legal!!!!).

Hopefully some others will chime in with post-event stories...

bigkid, CEO of PlayTime Inc.

The Official Geocaching Corporate Team Building and Event Provider

http://www.playtimeinc.com

Would really have enjoyed attending, John, but my daughters 2nd birthday party on Saturday must take precedence. As a father, I'm sure you understand icon_smile.gif

I look forward to future Search events and meeting yourself and others who I've come to know during these past two years of geocaching.

Looking forward to reading the logs and posts of the event as well.

Would really have enjoyed attending, John, but my daughters 2nd birthday party on Saturday must take precedence. As a father, I'm sure you understand icon_smile.gif

I look forward to future Search events and meeting yourself and others who I've come to know during these past two years of geocaching.

Looking forward to reading the logs and posts of the event as well.

quote:
Originally posted by bigkid:

Only $25, lots of great caches including 2 guest caches, 1 by Seth! and 1 by Moun10Bike.

If you include the motel, the dinner at yarrow bay beach cafe, the gas, the subway for lunch, and the copious amounts of cigarettes it takes to handle the drive to kirkland, i've paid 10 times that to find a cache by Seth! and Moun10bike in the same day. So the search is a bargain and i wish i could make it.

But i'm doing a wedding in fricking aurora (no offense people) that night so i can't go. if there's another one, then i'll plan my schedule around it.

I look forward to reading all about it here in the forums/on the logs/in the newspaper when it's all over.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I wish I had known that this had been reduced in price. With two adults and two kids under 10 there was no way we could do it at the higher price, so I stopped watching the page.

Now I wish I hadn't. *sniff* Well, hopefully this one is so bang-up cool that there will be a second annual! We'll be at that one, fer sure!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

A quick note for all those who attended or wished to attend. More details and a trip report to follow. 55 people showed up for the first ever geocaching fund raising event. Bryan Roth and Heidi from Geocaching.com helped hide the 20 caches and watch over the event.

Every team won prizes and loved the event. Seth! contributed the 4 stage Schmoe Stash and Moun10Bike contributed the 4 question Rainier Rambler. At least one team found ALL 20! caches in just under 3 1/2 hours (now if they could just log them ;-). Every team won a prize (prize list and stats to be posted) and while we were at SummitHaus, the infamous Lou Whittaker came by to say hi and even autographed his book for KiteLady.

Most of all, everybody had an INCREDIBLE time.

For those who attended:

What was your best story of the day?

What was your favorite cache from the day?

What would you like to see for next year's event that would make it even better?

Thanks again for a great day out in the woods,

-bigkid

bigkid, CEO of PlayTime Inc.

The Official Geocaching Corporate Team Building and Event Provider

http://www.playtimeinc.com

I for one would like to say thanks again for a wonderful afternoon. As one of the guinea pigs for the first run of this hopefully annual event I can honestly say that everything was done very professionally and with no big problems.

Even the weather turned out better than expected. icon_cool.gif

I do have one suggestion for next year. If you can figure out a way to do this. I'd give each team a different waypoint to start searching for. That would give each team a better chance to get a first find. You also wouldn't have so many teams going for the same cache at the beginning. As always JMHO

icon_smile.gif

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

I for one would like to say thanks again for a wonderful afternoon. As one of the guinea pigs for the first run of this hopefully annual event I can honestly say that everything was done very professionally and with no big problems.

Even the weather turned out better than expected. icon_cool.gif

I do have one suggestion for next year. If you can figure out a way to do this. I'd give each team a different waypoint to start searching for. That would give each team a better chance to get a first find. You also wouldn't have so many teams going for the same cache at the beginning. As always JMHO

icon_smile.gif

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

This was an outstanding event! Thanks again to all.

For next year I have a few suggestions:

Limit team size to two or three.

Do not allow teams to split up and share results; a team of six with three sub-teams has a clear advantage over a team of two.

Disqualify anyone who removes or relocates a cache.

Make certain that each team only takes one award points card in each cache by labeling every card.

I like the "everybody wins" method with raffle tickets.

It was also fun to do introductions by username!

Visit http://cordle.info for photos of the event.

Kelp Pouch[/url

Originally posted by ganesh:

quote:

Yes, I think that the teams should be more balanced. Each large team should be handicapped by one team member who wears no shoes and has to be carried. icon_wink.gif

At least the best prizes were awarded by raffle. (The grand prize winner was a team of two).

I would like to see it a bit less competitive anyway. Nevertheless, it was fun!

- Seth!

Originally posted by ganesh:

quote:

Yes, I think that the teams should be more balanced. Each large team should be handicapped by one team member who wears no shoes and has to be carried. icon_wink.gif

At least the best prizes were awarded by raffle. (The grand prize winner was a team of two).

I would like to see it a bit less competitive anyway. Nevertheless, it was fun!

- Seth!

I thought the event was well organized, a good mix of people and tons of fun! The mix of terrain was also great. There was a good balance of easy and difficult caches too.

I would agree with the comment that the cards could have been labeled better. I had tough time keeping track of what we'd found.

I would also have liked it if a few of the prizes would have included a commemorative things small enough to put in caches. The coins were cool. Maybe some travel bugs from the event to set loose on the world?

I know this year was a trial run so you probably didn't want to promote it too widely. I suspect you might have gotten some more crazy midwesterners if they'd known about the event.

My favorite memory (aside from Adrian in socks) was seeing the two man team that had knocked off something like 19 of the caches carrying out the drive shaft for garbage detail. Those guys were awesome! Oh, and maybe the gasp when Hazard introduced himself icon_cool.gif Or maybe it was hearing the chant "Spam, spam, spam, spam". Or maybe . . .

Thanks for a great adventure! I can hardly wait until next year. Can I help arrange an event in MInnesota??? icon_biggrin.gif

I thought the event was well organized, a good mix of people and tons of fun! The mix of terrain was also great. There was a good balance of easy and difficult caches too.

I would agree with the comment that the cards could have been labeled better. I had tough time keeping track of what we'd found.

I would also have liked it if a few of the prizes would have included a commemorative things small enough to put in caches. The coins were cool. Maybe some travel bugs from the event to set loose on the world?

I know this year was a trial run so you probably didn't want to promote it too widely. I suspect you might have gotten some more crazy midwesterners if they'd known about the event.

My favorite memory (aside from Adrian in socks) was seeing the two man team that had knocked off something like 19 of the caches carrying out the drive shaft for garbage detail. Those guys were awesome! Oh, and maybe the gasp when Hazard introduced himself icon_cool.gif Or maybe it was hearing the chant "Spam, spam, spam, spam". Or maybe . . .

Thanks for a great adventure! I can hardly wait until next year. Can I help arrange an event in MInnesota??? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally

My favorite memory (aside from Adrian in socks) was seeing the two man team that had knocked off something like 19 of the caches carrying out the drive shaft for garbage detail.

My favorite memory was finding the steering column! Talk about pulling a needle out of a haystack! Also, apart from some cool prizes, I really enjoyed finding a tick thoroughly embedded into my neck that night! icon_eek.gif

Originally

My favorite memory (aside from Adrian in socks) was seeing the two man team that had knocked off something like 19 of the caches carrying out the drive shaft for garbage detail.

My favorite memory was finding the steering column! Talk about pulling a needle out of a haystack! Also, apart from some cool prizes, I really enjoyed finding a tick thoroughly embedded into my neck that night! icon_eek.gif

I had a blast on The Search. Hazard and Igorbuzz and I had a great time (although Hazard and I slowed Igor down a bit).

My favorite memories are, in no particular order, getting to the top of "Rainier" and enjoying the view, Hazard's lingerie trash find icon_wink.gif and meeting Lou Whitaker, and talking with everyone.

My suggestions for improvement are: making it clearer whether or not teams are allowed to split up, marking the cards clearer, making the tougher caches actual finds that you can log, and having two-way radios for every team for safety's sake. If everyone brings radios who owns them, then the event only needs to provide them for the others.

Thanks again!

LindaLu

I had a blast on The Search. Hazard and Igorbuzz and I had a great time (although Hazard and I slowed Igor down a bit).

My favorite memories are, in no particular order, getting to the top of "Rainier" and enjoying the view, Hazard's lingerie trash find icon_wink.gif and meeting Lou Whitaker, and talking with everyone.

My suggestions for improvement are: making it clearer whether or not teams are allowed to split up, marking the cards clearer, making the tougher caches actual finds that you can log, and having two-way radios for every team for safety's sake. If everyone brings radios who owns them, then the event only needs to provide them for the others.

Thanks again!

LindaLu