Mary Hyde: Final Puzzle (oops)

Team Hugs

10 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

If you are one of the accounts affected by the issue caused by special characters in your username, the marketing team has set up a secondary form for you here.

I didn't think a space was a special character, but your posted link worked for me to get my answer submitted.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

If you are one of the accounts affected by the issue caused by special characters in your username, the marketing team has set up a secondary form for you here.

Thank you, this worked for us.  Where previously we had only got error messages.  

Followed the link given by Moun10Bike, form submitted & we immediately got this message... 

The lost treasure of Mary Hyde
Your form has been submitted, you will receive your tracking code within one week!
Edited by The_Lovells

M

My husband and I are both Premium members with separate accounts.  I received the Lost Treasure of Mary Hyde email and subitted the code word for the TB and received the email stating would receive the TB tracking code by August 24th.  My husband has not received any emails regarding him finishing the challenge and providing the info to submit the code word.  He did receive all the Souvenirs.  Today is August 17th and the code word has to be sumitted by August 20th.  What is going on?  

6 hours ago, The Jester said:
17 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

I didn't think a space was a special character, but your posted link worked for me to get my answer submitted.  Thanks!

A space can certainly be considered a special character.  It's commonly used as a delimiter.  

22 hours ago, Geek & Sweet said:

Got this reply from a help request:

"Hello Terry-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ. We are aware of the Email issues, the code issues, as well as "@,#,& etc... symbols in usernames preventing people from collecting the final souvenir. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this resolved soon.

Best regards,"

I'm posting this so people (like me) will be patient and let them solve the problems - I'm sure they are less than thrilled to be faced with these issues that must be impacting many otherwise happy geocachers.

Thank you. People are really losing their cool over this. 

14 hours ago, The Jester said:

It turns out that you were getting an error because the system saw you as having submitted the form already. Apparently your first attempt went through, or else someone at your IP address had already submitted.

3 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

It turns out that you were getting an error because the system saw you as having submitted the form already. Apparently your first attempt went through, or else someone at your IP address had already submitted.

Interesting.  My first attempt gave me the error message, and no one else here (which is only Blooming Idiot) earned any of the pieces.  But it's all fine now, I'm just waiting the final email with the number.  Thank you for all your help/responses to this. 

5 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

I am sure that there are many geocachers who share the computer, and thus the same ISP.  My nephew, who shares my computer, was unable to log in.  (Actually, he never received the e-mail.)  He had to resort to using the laptop (which was only charged up because we were on vacation this week.)  

I find it bizarre, and sad, that GS would discriminate against cachers who use the same computer.

2 hours ago, jellis said:

I wasn't given a trackable number and your link doesn't take me to Mary hide

Tracking numbers won't be sent out until next week. After entering the code word, there was a message on the bottom saying that tracking numbers would be sent out by 8.24.17 (I think that was the date).

29 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:
45 minutes ago, SeattleWayne said:

As far as I'm concerned, "discrimination" means hate based on religion, gender or ethnicity. 

Although essentially it's nothing more than recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

Yes, that's "discrimination between". The term used was "discrimination against", which normally means identifying differences in order to declare one thing inferior to another.

Anyway, this talk about "discrimination" seems kinda silly. The marketing guys just never even considered that two geocachers might use the same IP address, so I don't think there's any reasonable application of the word "discrimination" in this case. It was just an oversight.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

The marketing guys just never even considered that two geocachers might use the same IP address...

If true, seems kinda out of touch when you think of it, with all the families that cache with separate accounts.

A techie thing to just assume that everyone in a family has their own pc/phone?

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If true, seems kinda out of touch when you think of it, with all the families that cache with separate accounts.

The entire family could have multiple devices each and they would all be seen as having the single public IP address assigned to the router which provides the family's internet access.

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

For sure. Nearly boneheaded. But tech aware people sometimes overlook similarly obvious points -- I know I have -- so it would be no surprise if some marketing types did.

5 hours ago, dprovan said:

Yes, that's "discrimination between". The term used was "discrimination against", which normally means identifying differences in order to declare one thing inferior to another.

Anyway, this talk about "discrimination" seems kinda silly. The marketing guys just never even considered that two geocachers might use the same IP address, so I don't think there's any reasonable application of the word "discrimination" in this case. It was just an oversight.

Discrimination does not necessarily imply malice nor intent.  Sometimes it's because of non-understanding.  That's why most sidewalk curbs (here, at least) have wheel chair ramps.  It discriminated against the wheel-chair bound.  Never intentional.  Mostly due to the fact the those people did not understand the handicaps that some have.  Techie kids are too young to realize that some people have problems.  Two cachers with the same ISP?!?  Wow!  Never thought of that.  My nephew who shares my ISP had to use the laptop to log the Mary Hyde Final.  (Not sure why that is a different ISP?  

Not intentional, nor malicious.  But still discriminatory.

After two cataract surgeries, I am visually impaired.  Shrinking fonts is the modern way of life.  Sad.  I have trouble reading the new fonts.  Both here and at work.  It is neither deliberate nor malicious.  But it is discriminatory against the visually handicapped.  Just those youthful techies who do not realize that some users have problems.

6 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Discrimination does not necessarily imply malice nor intent.

If that's what you meant, you phrased it badly. When you said, "I find it bizarre, and sad, that GS would discriminate against cachers who use the same computer," I definitely interpreted that as saying they did it intentionally with malice toward cachers who use the same comptuer, not just that they did something dumb without even realizing it. Thanks for clearing that up.

17 hours ago, Team Microdot said:
18 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

As far as I'm concerned, "discrimination" means hate based on religion, gender or ethnicity. 

Although essentially it's nothing more than recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

I discriminate against power trails.

• Upvote 1
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, cerberus1 said:
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, dprovan said:

The marketing guys just never even considered that two geocachers might use the same IP address...

The problem seems to be that it was largely the marketing team doing this, not the developers and/or project managers who would have a better knowledge of this kind of potential issue.

This is why you don't let marketing, management, etc. play around with the production stuff.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

I discovered I have 2 Mary Hyde souvenirs and I don't even know how I got them. I thought you had to be in some sort of "friends group" so I didn't pay any attention to it. 

You didn't really need anyone else in your "friends group" to earn the souvenirs. You just needed the specified number of points. For two of the souvenirs, you counted points earned by everyone in your "friends group" (including yourself). For two of the souvenirs, you counted only points you earned on your own. Regardless, if you earned enough points, then you earned the souvenir.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:50 PM, dprovan said:

For sure. Nearly boneheaded. But tech aware people sometimes overlook similarly obvious points -- I know I have -- so it would be no surprise if some marketing types did.

True, however this would be a very basic concept. If I was designing with intent to allow 1 submission per user, I wouldn't think"1 user per household".  Although, IF the marketing team were sufficiently out of touch with the "home" concept (more akin to a desktop mentality than a mobile out-in-the-world mentality, which seems to be a common theme at GS these days), then it could be more likely there were thinking of mobile devices not on WIFI accessing the page, than remembering that a vast portion of the community still use desktop computers and browsers.  *sigh*

So I suppose it's feasible.

15 hours ago, The A-Team said:

The problem seems to be that it was largely the marketing team doing this, not the developers and/or project managers who would have a better knowledge of this kind of potential issue.

This is why you don't let marketing, management, etc. play around with the production stuff.

Yup. Or like graphic designers [print] doing web design. :P

But... if there was no developer involvement here, they must have quite the content management platform!  I find it hard to believe there was no developer involved. Honestly, I don't know how they came to that decision other than just simple oversight, whoever was making it.

But it's irrelevant now anyway. Hopefully, lesson learned. :)

2 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Although, IF the marketing team were sufficiently out of touch with the "home" concept (more akin to a desktop mentality than a mobile out-in-the-world mentality, which seems to be a common theme at GS these days), then it could be more likely there were thinking of mobile devices not on WIFI accessing the page, than remembering that a vast portion of the community still use desktop computers and browsers.  *sigh*

Not forgetting mobile devices on WIFI.

1 minute ago, Team Microdot said:

Not forgetting mobile devices on WIFI.

Yes, any device on a single WIFI network (not just desktops)... I'm still in the desktop-hate frame of mind :P Hey, maybe there's a good place to use the term "discriminating against", from another thread.
*runs*

15 minutes ago, jellis said:

Any word on what happened with the Mary Hide Trackables. I went through everything and got nothing. No email, no code, no trackable, no answers.

As soon as I submitted the form with the code word I got an email saying "Congratulations on finding the lost treasure of Mary Hyde! Your free trackable code will be emailed to you by August 24, 2017 with instructions on how to use it!".

If you submitted the code word and didn't get an acknowledgement, then something went wrong.  Hopefully you will get a trackable code sent anyway.