Mary Hyde: Final Puzzle (oops)

Team Hugs

2 hours ago, geodanimal said:

I got all the souvenirs.  Still no email about a trackable...  How long might one have to wait for this email?  In my email preferences, I have elected to not receive the weekly newsletter and education & promotional emails.  Is that going to screw things up for me here, or is this separate from all that?

2 hours ago, MacLeod72 said:

Same here :(

Did you get an email with the subject line of:  "The lost treasure of Mary Hyde is yours!" (or the translated version for your language preference)?  That is the email with info about getting a trackable code. Not a physical trackable, just a code that can be used to create a personal tracking item.

11 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

I followed up with our marketing folk and you are not out of luck! They told me, "if people didn't get the word right and submitted a form for a free TB code we will double check to see if they actually earned the meta souvenir and if they did we will honor that!"

The email from when I entered a word read:

Hello,

Congratulations on finding the lost treasure of Mary Hyde! Your free trackable code will be emailed to you by August 24, 2017 with instructions on how to use it!

Happy geocaching,
Your friends at Geocaching HQ

This made me think I had solved the puzzle.  Reading the commentary here I don't think I did. I read it off the wrong souvenir (See conversations on not having them grouped.) So I went to try it again when I found the right souvenir.

The website says 

• Errors have been highlighted below.

• You are signed in as* 
It would be nice to get some confirmation that I got it right the second time, or third, or 4th, or whatever it takes me.

9 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

The marketing team did this with minimal developer involvement.

This is always bad idea :(. I just did a quick test, which for several reasons should have failed, but I still got an e-mail saying " Your free trackable code will be emailed to you by August 24, 2017 ".

For Groundspeak's own good ;) , I hope that there is at least some code in the system which guarantees that not more than one TB code is mailed to every GC account which has actually found all the needed souvenirs.

I used to link in the email and I typed in my email and the code word but I keep getting the following message : Errors have been highlighted below.

Nothing is highlighted and I am positive, based on what I read in the forum that I have the correct code word. What should I do next!?!.

Edited by Keystone

Wir können auch nichts finden, schade das es keine Möglichkeit gibt das ganze in Deutsch zu lesen, die Schrift ist sehr undeutlich auf den Kartenteilen. Und das nur einer aus unserer Familie die Möglichkeit hat den Code zu erhalten, obwohl wir alle eigene Accounts haben, aber nur eine E-Mail Adresse. Ein paar Hinweise die jeder versteht wären hilfreich.

Just now, Ma & Pa said:

Two others on this topic have the same problem as we do.  

It seems that if your nic has the & symbol, the submission page only shows the first part of your name and therefore the submission rejects.

Where do I complain to get it fixed?

Robert&Anita

Geek & Sweet

Hei  Ma & Pa 

I didn't solve the problem. 

I just only send question to  Geocaching HQ Support and I wait for answer.

Greetings

Robert&Anita

2 minutes ago, Robert&Anita said:

Hei  Ma & Pa 

I didn't solve the problem. 

I just only send question to  Geocaching HQ Support and I wait for answer.

Greetings

Robert&Anita

I didnt think you solved I just think if there is a & in your nic, it causes a problem, now I see someone with a # symbol has similar problem

Edited by Ma & Pa
7 minutes ago, #1Fishingal said:

I used to link in the email and I typed in my email and the code word but I keep getting the following message : Errors have been highlighted below.

Nothing is highlighted and I am positive, based on what I read in the forum that I have the correct code word. What should I do next!?!.

I think the # in your nic causes the problem

15 minutes ago, Robert&Anita said:

Hello again.

But it means that survey do not work for many of us. I wait for answer from help desk, Let see what happens. In theory we can change name temporary. :D

Robert&Anita

Change name ... Hmm.  Maybe it would work.    I love our name and would be afraid that I would have problems changing it back.  And I wrote to help desk also.  I think they will be busy today and might be upset at whoever did the planning for this 

Hello,

we were not sure which is the correct code word so we tried two different words on two different accounts. We both get the same 'Congratulation on finding...' mail. It seems that everyone gets this mail regardless which code word is submitted. Is this intended?

Edited by dieselpilot
1 hour ago, mapedu said:

Wir können auch nichts finden, schade das es keine Möglichkeit gibt das ganze in Deutsch zu lesen, die Schrift ist sehr undeutlich auf den Kartenteilen.

Hi mapedu,

don't search on the four map pieces. There should be a fifth souvenir called "The Lost Treasure of Mary Hyde".

(Wenn ihr alle vier Kartenteile habt, sollte in eurer Souvenirliste ein weiteres Souvenir auftauchen namens "The Lost Treasure of Mary Hyde". Darauf bezieht sich die Codewortsuche.)

greetings, fraggle

2 hours ago, mapedu said:

Wir können auch nichts finden, schade das es keine Möglichkeit gibt das ganze in Deutsch zu lesen, die Schrift ist sehr undeutlich auf den Kartenteilen. Und das nur einer aus unserer Familie die Möglichkeit hat den Code zu erhalten, obwohl wir alle eigene Accounts haben, aber nur eine E-Mail Adresse. Ein paar Hinweise die jeder versteht wären hilfreich.

Also, in Deutsch:

Wenn ihr alle vier Kartenteile erarbeitet habt in den letzten vier Wochen, und sie auch in eurer Souvenirs-Liste zu sehen sind, dann ist weiter unten bei T (so sinnentleert...) ein weiteres Souvenir dazugekommen, das nennt sich "The Lost Treasure of Mary Hyde". Da bitte draufklicken. Es öffnet sich die Seite des Souvenirs, und man sieht das Souvenir in groß. Auf diesem großen Bild mit der Schatzkiste und den Golmünzen befindet sich ein Wort, ein einziges Wort nur, und es ist gut zu lesen, man KANN nichts falsch machen.

DIeses Wort bitte merken.

Anschließend auf diesen Link klicken, der in der E-Mail auch genannt ist:

https://www.geocaching.com/promotions/promo/maryhyde/

Wer NoScript oder sowas installiert hat, muss unbedingt wufoo.com erlauben, sonst geht's nicht.

Dieses Formular bitte ausfüllen, dabei darauf achten, dass man mit seinem richtigen Geocaching-Nick eingeloggt ist, die zum account passende E-Mail-Adresse angibt, das richtige Lösungswort (siehe oben) einträgt,  und dass pro IP-Adresse nur 1 Tracking-Code angefordert werden kann. Weitere Accounts müssten es über andere IP-Adressen probieren, Mobiltelefon etc.

Absenden (submit).

Theoretisch, wenn alles richtig gemacht wurde, bekommt man umgehend eine Bestätigung, dass man Erfolg hatte (Congratulations!...) und dass man den Tracking-Code am 24.8. zugemailt bekommt. Diese Bestätigung sollte kurz darauf auch nochmal per E-Mail eintreffen.

Eigentlich relativ simpel - aber offenbar kann doch so viel schiefgehen....

• Upvote 1

I think there is an issue with GC names with ampersands (&) in them. 

When we go to the form it says we are logged in as Brad yet our user name is Brad&Janet. (See image). It then says there is an error when we submit. I saw a user called George & the Dragon had the same issue.

This happens on the smartphone and our PC with different IPs. A glitch of some sort? 

Cheers B

IMG_2699.PNG

21 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

This will be a database issue.

Ampersands are commonly used in database queries.

Data which includes ampersand characters needs special treatment in order to not break data queries on it.

Yeah...they clearly didn't think this one all the way through.

32 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

This will be a database issue.

Ampersands are commonly used in database queries.

Data which includes ampersand characters needs special treatment in order to not break data queries on it.

That's really weird that this isn't corrected yet.  It was noted to be an issue before this promotion started in a few threads earlier.

52 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Yeah. I'm sitting here thinking about how much mischief someone could get into now that we've all discovered this breach in the system.

I don't know anything about that.  Just seems like whoever put together whatever code was necessary might have run tests or already been aware of the ampersand issue. 

8 hours ago, noncentric said:

Did you get an email with the subject line of:  "The lost treasure of Mary Hyde is yours!" (or the translated version for your language preference)?  That is the email with info about getting a trackable code. Not a physical trackable, just a code that can be used to create a personal tracking item.

No, I did not.  That's why I clearly said I hadn't received any emails.  And still haven't.  But whatever -- thanks to Mordor2, I guess I have the necessary URL now.

I never received the email. I've checked the spam folder. I understand I'm not the only one who hasn't received it. When I check my profile I have the fifth souvenir. I have received other email from geocaching today. So I see the word on the souvenir but don't know the form address to use it.

I see the link above. Thanks for sharing that.

Edited by HikingSeal

Just now, Moun10Bike said:

If you are one of the accounts affected by the issue caused by special characters in your username, the marketing team has set up a secondary form for you here.

Moun10Bike Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if you are replying to me or someone else. My caching name is listed on the post, HikingSeal, no ampersands involved. I simply never received an email for either the fourth or meta souvenir. I checked my profile after hearing discussion from others and I had them. 

Got this reply from a help request:

"Hello Terry-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ. We are aware of the Email issues, the code issues, as well as "@,#,& etc... symbols in usernames preventing people from collecting the final souvenir. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this resolved soon.

Best regards,"

I'm posting this so people (like me) will be patient and let them solve the problems - I'm sure they are less than thrilled to be faced with these issues that must be impacting many otherwise happy geocachers.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, HikingSeal said:

Moun10Bike Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if you are replying to me or someone else. My caching name is listed on the post, HikingSeal, no ampersands involved. I simply never received an email for either the fourth or meta souvenir. I checked my profile after hearing discussion from others and I had them. 

Sorry for any confusion. My post was for people like Ma & Pa and Robert&Anita who were unable to submit the form due to special characters in their usernames.

As for missing emails, they were trickled out slowly in order to prevent the form from getting swamped. However, all should now have been delivered. You would only have received one if you have enabled "Educational and Promotional" emails in your settings. However, even if you are missing the email, you can navigate directly to https://www.geocaching.com/promotions/promo/maryhyde/ in order to request your tracking code.

44 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

Sorry for any confusion. My post was for people like Ma & Pa and Robert&Anita who were unable to submit the form due to special characters in their usernames.

As for missing emails, they were trickled out slowly in order to prevent the form from getting swamped. However, all should now have been delivered. You would only have received one if you have enabled "Educational and Promotional" emails in your settings. However, even if you are missing the email, you can navigate directly to https://www.geocaching.com/promotions/promo/maryhyde/ in order to request your tracking code.

cheked. All three email boxes are checked. I received earlier emails about Mary Hyde, just not the last two.

51 minutes ago, Geek & Sweet said:

Got this reply from a help request:

"Hello Terry-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ. We are aware of the Email issues, the code issues, as well as "@,#,& etc... symbols in usernames preventing people from collecting the final souvenir. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this resolved soon.

Best regards,"

I'm posting this so people (like me) will be patient and let them solve the problems - I'm sure they are less than thrilled to be faced with these issues that must be impacting many otherwise happy geocachers.

I couldn't really care less about how this impacts on the souvenirs or the associated promotion or in demonstrating patience in the face of database connection issues which frankly are easily avoided by any sysadmin / developer worth their salt.

I'm more interested in receiving timely reassurance that the database won't be compromised by an injection attack.

My guess it was not a database concern, but rather an HTML/url concern. & is very commonly a forgotten reserved character, and if used in a form submission value or URL querystring without being escaped, it can break the values or variable parsing. Sure, it could potentially lead to unexpected behaviour on the server code and maybe some form of database injection, but that would take a lot more bad code than merely forgetting to trap the "&" in a submitted string...

Nonetheless, since the "&" wasn't considered in the username content, it'd certainly be prudent for the coders to make sure there's no other way for an injection attack to occur...

Hi there,

I don't have any special symbols in my nickname but I also didn't get the second Email, confirming I got everything right.

When I try ist again the Error: You are signed in as Neepy. Also occurs.

Opened a help desk ticked, nothing so far. I'm so sad about this :,(

Can anybody please help me?

1 hour ago, Moun10Bike said:

If you are one of the accounts affected by the issue caused by special characters in your username, the marketing team has set up a secondary form for you here.

WE JUST GOT BACK  FROM A LONG GEOCACHING HIKE AND CHECKED FOR PROGRESS ON THIS SITUATION.  

I NOTED YOUR COMMENT, CHECKED IT OUT AND AM PLEASED TO REPORT THAT IT WORKED.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

PAul

1 hour ago, geodanimal said:

No, I did not.  That's why I clearly said I hadn't received any emails.  And still haven't.  But whatever -- thanks to Mordor2, I guess I have the necessary URL now.

Sorry. You had said that you hadn't received an "email about a trackable".  You didn't say that you didn't receive "any emails".  I was just pointing out the subject line because some cachers might've overlooked the "The lost treasure of Mary Hyde is yours!" email as being the email about the trackable. Some thought it was just an email about getting the final souvenir and thought that there would be another email announcing the trackable promo.

Anyway, sounds like you got yourself sorted, so that's great.

27 minutes ago, The A-Team said:
18 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

The marketing team did this with minimal developer involvement. This is the best solution they had.

Lesson learned, I hope?

FWIW, I've worked in companies where we gave the marketing team the ability to make updates with minimal developer involvement, but we restricted their updates to content. For anything affecting the functionality of the site, developers had to be involved.