Virtual trackable race

cleetrimber

This morning I participated in a virtual trackable race.  The initial enthusiasm for helping a trackable goal overcame my usual feelings on fake logs,(reminds me of how I logged the April 1, 2016 fake caches).  

It is obviously the trackable owners stated preference to have virtual logs, but I started to wonder - Has the official view of virtual trackable logging changed or is there a new category that has come into existence? On the geocaching website Friend League page that shows the score, I scrolled down to look at pictures and saw two trackables with their actual logging codes shown so that they could be grabbed from wherever with the goal of a virtual race (TB72990 and TB1A20G).

Considering the predominate view most geocachers have of virtual logs and I thought also the official view, I came to the forums to see if there was a topic for this but did not find one. 

1 hour ago, cleetrimber said:

I came to the forums to see if there was a topic for this but did not find one. 

Such Topics are in the "Trackables" area of the Forums.

The help center still says that Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged.  One good reason is, it messes up the list of logs when you post that you saw the tracking number online somewhere, and call it a "discovery".  If the Owner specifically mentions that "virtual logs" are allowed, that's his prerogative.  Eventually it tends to get out of hand.  I have a car TB (the number isn't visible) and a name tag TB (the number is tough to photograph in a group photo).   But I often suggest that the secret tracking number needs to stay secret, if only to make it so that people don't have to wonder if any given tracking number is "virtual" or not.  As a practice, if you don't post them, don't log online "virtual" tracking numbers, it reduces the chaos.

But I have no dog in this hunt.  It's no skin off my nose.  Enjoy.

Edited by kunarion

Though the official Help Center guideline says,  " Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged" , the very next sentence is " It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this".

With many showing their trackable codes online and on their trackable's page these days, I'd think "allowing" it is indicated...

Ah.  I found one in a cache recently.  The trackable page states:  

Current GOAL To be

DISCOVERED far and wide! Please do not grab for your inventory. There are hundreds of (these) in circulation. I would like for them to remain in my inventory and be discovered only. Please let me know where you're from and where you found it! Feel free to add a picture of which design you discovered :)

I did not realize that when I picked it up.  So, I will put it in a cache a few hundred miles from where I found it.  It does seem to be 'retrieved' a lot.  Gues I should log it into the cache I found it in?

14 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Ah.  I found one in a cache recently.  The trackable page states:  

Current GOAL To be

DISCOVERED far and wide! Please do not grab for your inventory. There are hundreds of (these) in circulation. I would like for them to remain in my inventory and be discovered only. Please let me know where you're from and where you found it! Feel free to add a picture of which design you discovered :)

I did not realize that when I picked it up.  So, I will put it in a cache a few hundred miles from where I found it.  It does seem to be 'retrieved' a lot.  Gues I should log it into the cache I found it in?

An interesting point. Many of the caches I visit are in locations with no mobile data, so even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to check a trackable's goal at the time I was retrieving it from a cache, and wouldn't particularly relish the thought of going back out there to return it if it said it didn't want to be retrieved.

1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I did not realize that when I picked it up.  So, I will put it in a cache a few hundred miles from where I found it.  It does seem to be 'retrieved' a lot.  Guess I should log it into the cache I found it in?

That's what I'd do too.  :)

Most times lately with so many logged incorrectly,  rather than finding trackables not there, we're finding trackables that weren't  listed in the inventory before heading out.  No one there a few days earlier either.

No idea what's going on with it 'til we get home,  I wouldn't be heading back either.