New Category Idea: This Old Bridge

I've had this idea for a while, and now I think it'll be good to discuss it. There's already a "This Old Church" category so why not have a "This Old Bridge"? There are so many historical bridges that are well over 100 years old and I think it's would be fun and interesting categorizing bridges that are 100 years old. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Let's hear them!

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=aa9d83fb-7caf-44e8-9bbe-250700635973&gid=6&exp=True

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, elyob said:

Can you show an example of one that cannot already go in a bridge category?

I have pix of lots of bridges which would fit in "Old Bridges" but, unfortunately, Elyob has a valid point. I believe all the old bridges we've come across are already published in another category or three.

Keith

22 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I have pix of lots of bridges which would fit in "Old Bridges" but, unfortunately, Elyob has a valid point. I believe all the old bridges we've come across are already published in another category or three.

Keith

Well, the same goes with "This Old Church". You can cross post it in other existing categories. Not all 100 year old bridges can be placed in other existing categories like roadway/highway bridges.

10 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Not to forget the "Bridge Date Stones and Plaques".

There are very little centenarian bridges that have no category yet. An uncovered and undated wooden bridge would be one, but I am not aware of any existing example in my wider area.

"Dated buildings and cornerstones" and "Dated Structures" are the same way. You can cross post waymarks. Not every 100 year old bridge will have a cornerstone or plaque, which is why the website is very useful. I think it would be unique to have a collection of bridges that are over 100 years old, regardless of their function.

My humble opinion: I don't have a big problem with crosspostings, but to simply use the age of something for a category creates a mixture of objects that don't share anything but their age. I personally like the bridge categories where all bridges are of the same type. One of my favorites is the "Stone Bridges" category.  Within such categories you see brdiges, that are long or short, old or new, ugly or beautiful etc. but they are all of the same type. Browsing through such categories I find it interesting to compare the different bridges, but to have a collection of old bridges is not that interesting to me. Same goes with the old churches and old restaurants. But as the beginning of my posting says, this is just my humble opinion.

5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

My humble opinion: I don't have a big problem with crosspostings, but to simply use the age of something for a category creates a mixture of objects that don't share anything but their age. I personally like the bridge categories where all bridges are of the same type. One of my favorites is the "Stone Bridges" category.  Within such categories you see brdiges, that are long or short, old or new, ugly or beautiful etc. but they are all of the same type. Browsing through such categories I find it interesting to compare the different bridges, but to have a collection of old bridges is not that interesting to me. Same goes with the old churches and old restaurants. But as the beginning of my posting says, this is just my humble opinion.

I agree completely. Age is just a number. Like you, I enjoy categories of INTERESTING THINGS, not necessarily THINGS OF A CERTAIN AGE. Railroad bridges and Truss bridges are my favorites in the Bridge Department, by the way. :) 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:42 PM, fi67 said:

Not to forget the "Bridge Date Stones and Plaques".

There are very little centenarian bridges that have no category yet. An uncovered and undated wooden bridge would be one, but I am not aware of any existing example in my wider area.

If it were all wood, IE wooden deck, it would be acceptable in "Plank Roads".

I will agree that there will be 100 year old bridges without a category at present. However, experience tells us that they will be few. 

If this category were ever to see the light of day I would be delighted to cross post the ones we have into it, though.

Keith