Sizes on caches in app vs on computer

Michaelapåtur

Hi. 

I am fairly new to geocaching. Been premium member for a little while and been geocaching in my vacation. 

So when I go geocaching, using the app on my phone, very often then sizes of the caches do not match the reality (or what is stated when I log in on my computer). 
Often XL is stated in the app, while the cache is actually a small. 
Has anyone else experienced this? or know what to do about it? It is getting really annoying. 

Regards :) 

Yes there are some terminology differences between the web and the app.  It's probably better to think of them as just four physical sizes rated 1-4. :) Online it's Micro, Small, Regular and Large. In the official app it's Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large.

Third party apps? Who knows. Which app is telling you XL? Most likely that's the equivalent of the largest available size (Large).

There's nothing that can be done about cache owners who don't list their containers with an appropriate size, but just keep in mind that within reason there could be some variation depend on what a CO considers a certain size.

I once found a film canister listed as a small, when it should have been a micro. I pointed out the definitions of cache sizes to the owner, and he promptly updated the listing. He just assumed that since a film canister was so much larger than the blinkers and centrifuge tubes he had found, that the film canister must be the next size up.

It is not uncommon to see a size listed in a cache description that doesn't match the size of the cache container found. A cache listed as Small, but turns out to be a micro (XS) or vice-versa.

The app did not carry-over the same size names as the website has been using for many years.  "Small" and "Large" are the same between the two platforms.  "Micro" on the website is named "XS" on the app.  "Regular" on the website is named "M" on the app.  "Other" on the website is just "--" on the app.

If you are seeing a cache that shows different sizes on the app vs the website, outside of the micro/xs or regular/m differences, then that's likely a bug that should be reported to GS.  For example, if you're seeing a cache listed as "XS" on the app, but "Regular" on the website, then that sounds like a bug.  Is that what you're seeing?  If you're seeing any cache on the app listed as "XL", then that also seems like a bug because that is not a size option.  Nevermind, this was covered in the duplicate thread.

Edited by noncentric
updated after realizing there is a duplicate post

There's been a number of threads asking why Groundspeak still lists caches sizes on the site and the apps differently.  :)

There shouldn't be a technical reason why, so I just assumed that the person who created the apps didn't know any better.

- And still not corrected...

Don't understand how small is "often" changed to "XL" (which isn't a correct size anyway...), unless a CO is considering what the small might be housed in instead of it's actual size.

- Or, with all the new changes lately, it's a bug.

Edited by cerberus1

Then don't.

The thread post is a duplicate. Literally. Therefore the intended discussion is redundant. I merely posted the link to the duplicate thread so that relevant discussion could take place in the relevant thread. So choose a thread. Or don't. I'm not a mod. If I was I'd join them and move one thread to the appropriate forum, as happens fairly often.