Release Notes (Website only: Header updates) - August 14, 2017

Release Notes (Website only: Header updates) - August 14, 2017

With this release, we are updating the header on Geocaching.com with visual changes and revised content in the drop-down menus.

• A link to the Help Center was added to the user account drop-down menu, between “Settings” and “Sign Out”. The Help Center link in the footer remains. 

• The “Learn” drop-down was removed:
    * Geocaching 101 is now accessible from the updated Help Center. 
    * “Videos” was moved from “Learn” into the “Community” category, under “Events.”

• “Play” drop-down menu:
    * To highlight Search and Map, we added icons next to the text.
    * Drafts has been removed from the drop-down, as it is accessible from the Dashboard and /my page.

• “Shop” drop-down menu:
    * Added a link to purchase a gift membership.
    * Added a link to purchase bulk trackable codes.

• Account-specific links:
    * Links to Messages, Profile, and Account are re-ordered

It may take some time for the update to make its way to everyone. Nate R and Jayme from HQ’s Product Team are watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated posts may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Is this released to everyone? I tried a couple different browsers and incognito mode as well as with developer tools on and caching disabled and I'm not seeing any icons in the drop down Play menu. I don't see any new links in the Shop menu. 

It may take some time for the release to make its way out to everyone. We'll update the post to reflect that.

I assume that eventually the new header will be used on the entire site. But right now, the first link in the menu across the top is Play > Search and it has the old header (darker green and different menu). Ditto for Play > Hide a geocache, Play > GeoTours, and Play > Friend League 

accesskey tags are missing for  'Bulk trackable codes' and 'Gift a Premium membership'

I use a greasemonkey script to customise the menu and it relies on the accesskey tags to work correctly

Thanks

Edited by Delta68

Hey gang! Thanks for all the extra eyes on this one — this change has a huge amount of surface area, so QA's been challenging. We truly appreciate the bug reports, so please keep them coming as you come across them!

As mentioned, we did have some stability issues last night that stopped us from deploying the updated header to all parts of the site, which is why the homepage and other areas have yet to be refreshed. We are pushing to resolve this as soon as possible.

18 hours ago, Sherminator18 said:

So I can log in now, but the profile page is all messed up. Is the header supposed to be centered? and what is the mysterious box on the right side of the screen?

20 hours ago, Ridler & Cmokica said:

At my account, click on the 'View map' link, brings me to https://www.geocaching.com/seek/~/map/  and i get a 404 page.

2 hours ago, GordEtob said:

I'm trying to print my pocket query map and this new release has a GIANT Geocaching banner that takes up most of the map!  Is there some way to get rid of this?  See below:

Thanks for these! We've got fixes on the way already. 

4 hours ago, Delta68 said:

accesskey tags are missing for  'Bulk trackable codes' and 'Gift a Premium membership'

I use a greasemonkey script to customise the menu and it relies on the accesskey tags to work correctly

Thanks

We've temporarily rolled back a portion of the site that we believe might be causing issues with some scripts in the hopes of identifying which ones have been affected by the change before re-deploying. Thank you!

Edited by plaidtopia
  • Upvote 1

Am I the only one that really dislikes the new green theme color they have chosen for the new website layout? The pine green they already use or a more emerald green would look 10 times better. The coloring overall seem to go downhill and is annoying on the eyes. 

• Upvote 3

It's good to see that the Play/Community/Shop dropdowns have been consolidated with the avatar/messages links in the top bar, for the profile page.

But they're still separate, and therefore wasting realestate on other pages, such as the PQ page:

Will this configuration be rolled out to all the pages?

Screenshot_2017-08-17_10-36-13.png

Edited by MartyBartfast

I've got a problem with pocket queries.

When I preview one, the caches come up sorted by distance.  I click on the 'placed' hyperlink to sort them by placed date.  This works for the first page.

However, when I click to go to page 2, even though "sort=placed" is still in the URL, it reverts to sorting by distance.

I have not been able to figure out how to continue viewing caches sorted by placed date via the PQ interface.  I know for a fact that this worked Monday morning, but by yesterday (Wednesday) it was working as I described here.

Given the time frame, I'm guessing this is related to the changes that were recently made?  Maybe?

On 8/16/2017 at 6:55 AM, !Lux said:

Am I the only one that really dislikes the new green theme color they have chosen for the new website layout?

I don't mind it.  I have enough olive drab in my life; I wear it to work every day.  :laughing:

On 8/16/2017 at 6:55 AM, !Lux said:

Am I the only one that really dislikes the new green theme color they have chosen for the new website layout? The pine green they already use or a more emerald green would look 10 times better. The coloring overall seem to go downhill and is annoying on the eyes. 

I actually like the color they chose. I could care less which color they choose though. It's just a color on a website.. it makes no difference to me.

If I'm using the new dashboard, it shows my 'Hides'. In my homble opinion this is not completely correct since it also includes all my events (which are nót hidden :-)  ).

I hope I posted this in the correct forum group.

Screenshot_2017-08-18-17-31-50.png

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

My membership is coming up for renewal, so I have a button on the header reminding me of this. On the old header it says "Renew", but this is what I see on the new header:
renew.png

Maybe just change it back to simply "Renew"?

Ah! Good find! We'll look to make this change in our next update. Thank you!

As of today, the last major swath of the site should be updated. I'll keep checking in with this thread for any issues that crop up, so please keep us in the loop! Thanks, everyone. :)

20 minutes ago, plaidtopia said:

Ah! Good find! We'll look to make this change in our next update. Thank you!

I see it's already been changed. Thanks!

As of today, the last major swath of the site should be updated. I'll keep checking in with this thread for any issues that crop up, so please keep us in the loop! Thanks, everyone. :)

I just browsed around and didn't see any issues until I got to the new Trackables page. This is what the header looks like for me on that page:
brokenheader.png

I'm seeing this in IE11 on two different computers, but it looks as expected in Firefox and Chrome.

A few comments:

1. It's wasting space again, similar to the new dashboard and such. Just don't get why the top bar needed to get higher.

2. That new green color hurts my eyes, especially at the map page as there's more green. It looks like my screen is broken :( I way more like the more matte colors

3. Could it be that the email link within the cache page isn't there any more!? Or do I simply just remember that wrong?

4. The Geocaching logo as well as the big text seems to be blurry, like just been expanded. I checked the size and even if it SHOULD have been the same (196*29) it is about 10% bigger. I compared the code and it slightly changed. From absolut size to some automatic one I guess.

5. The new dropdown menu itself seems to be ok :)

22 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I see it's already been changed. Thanks!

I just browsed around and didn't see any issues until I got to the new Trackables page. This is what the header looks like for me on that page:
brokenheader.png

I'm seeing this in IE11 on two different computers, but it looks as expected in Firefox and Chrome.

Yikes. Ok, we'll add this to the list. Thank you!

21 hours ago, monsterbox said:

A few comments:

1. It's wasting space again, similar to the new dashboard and such. Just don't get why the top bar needed to get higher.

2. That new green color hurts my eyes, especially at the map page as there's more green. It looks like my screen is broken :( I way more like the more matte colors

3. Could it be that the email link within the cache page isn't there any more!? Or do I simply just remember that wrong?

4. The Geocaching logo as well as the big text seems to be blurry, like just been expanded. I checked the size and even if it SHOULD have been the same (196*29) it is about 10% bigger. I compared the code and it slightly changed. From absolut size to some automatic one I guess.

5. The new dropdown menu itself seems to be ok :)

Hopefully, this is LESS wasted space in most people's eyes: We basically had two headers before, a white and a green one, one on top of another. This release has consolidated these into a single line, reducing our vertical header space by HALF and bringing more content "above the fold," as it were.

As for the e-mail link, do you mean the link to mail the cache owner? If so, that's still there. Nothing should have changed down-page as a result of this release, but if something's missing that should be there, let us know!

On 22.8.2017 at 11:13 PM, plaidtopia said:

Yikes. Ok, we'll add this to the list. Thank you!

Hopefully, this is LESS wasted space in most people's eyes: We basically had two headers before, a white and a green one, one on top of another. This release has consolidated these into a single line, reducing our vertical header space by HALF and bringing more content "above the fold," as it were.

As for the e-mail link, do you mean the link to mail the cache owner? If so, that's still there. Nothing should have changed down-page as a result of this release, but if something's missing that should be there, let us know!

"Wasted space": Hmm, I was referring to the map page for instance, as this ist my most used one. The top bar is higher now, with just the same info. By accident I just had them side by side as I still had an open tab with the old style. Sorry, as I don't use a single of the newly changed pages for several reasons I can't tell if it went better there!

Email-Link: Sorry, I'm not sure if there really was one or not. I THOUGHT there was a link like the "Message this owner" link.

Color: Could be my exact monitor already shows green colors a bit more prominent than other monitors. But compared to the old matte green it really is sooo bright, especially at night and the contrast to the map colors is pretty big. Still don't like it that much, but that's tough luck, I guess ;)

9 hours ago, monsterbox said:

Color: Could be my exact monitor already shows green colors a bit more prominent than other monitors. But compared to the old matte green it really is sooo bright, especially at night and the contrast to the map colors is pretty big.

Agreed, I was a much bigger fan of the prior earthy-green hue and saturation. Less loud and bold, more flexible, imo, for other design concepts and in line with the geo-nature of the website.

• Upvote 1

I also preferred to previous green, which seemed darker.  For me, the white text stood out better against that darker green background. There isn't as much contrast between the text and the header background now.  I noticed this lack of contrast earlier with the color change to the 'log geocache' button on individual cache pages, but didn't think much of it.

Besides the color change, I like that the horizontal menu has been moved up into the green banner.  It's a concept that's similar to a mock-up I did a while back.  It saves space having the menu and banner in one line, rather than stacked.

On 25.8.2017 at 3:49 AM, GLK1 said:

Don't know if this is the correct page to post.  I can't see the cache name, D/T or log a cache from the cache page...this is what I see on myiPad   Very wide green on the yop of each cache page. 

image.jpg

My friend sent me a picture of his tablet screen and it looks exactly like this one. He is very angry because he can not use the service normally..

Have also got large green header as others - on Mac laptop. Have found a work around for logging caches but new to trackables and need to log I have discovered some.  Can't do this and have also got a travel bug in my possession that I need to move - the first time I have tried to do this (after quite a lot of encouragement to do so from host of 1 day event on Int Geo Day). Not brilliant on sorting out computer problems and would be very grateful if you can get rid of it. As it is peak holiday season and school holidays in UK I am sure others are also similarly frustrated.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:49 PM, GLK1 said:

Don't know if this is the correct page to post.  I can't see the cache name, D/T or log a cache from the cache page...this is what I see on myiPad   Very wide green on the yop of each cache page. 

image.jpg

Yikes! We will look to fix this ASAP! Thanks for bringing to our attention!

2 hours ago, noncentric said:

Is there a plan to include the "Play" / "Community" / "Shop" menus in the header of the map page?

At some point, yes. Those buttons weren't there on the map page before this change and we didn't add them during this step for expediency's sake, but as we make further changes to the map, the intention is to add those there.

FYI - The renewal button doesn't appear consistently across different pages. It may be worthwhile to go through the various pages and make sure they're consistent.

• Shows "Renew mem..." on the 'new' logging page, Search page, Hide a Geocache page, and Friend League page.
  • Shows "Renew" on the new/old Dashboard pages, the new/old Profile pages, the new/old Drafts pages, and the Volunteers page.
  • Shows "Renew" (bolded) on the Pocket Query page.
  • Doesn't show at all on the Trackables page.
  • Upvote 1