Magic: The Gathering Trackables Promotion

JL_HSTRE

I got an email telling me I am not getting anything.

And both last week and this week, I visited a local Gamestop to ask if they know about "Geocaching" items for a "Magic The Gathering Promotion", and they've never heard of such a thing.  They sell MTG cards, but they don't even seem to know about new "Ixalan" packs.  I don't know where the trading card store in town has moved to, but they might have a better understanding of MTG promotions.  I guessed that stores may end up with a tag or two, although now that I think about it, it's hard to imagine how that could happen.   Well, I figured at least they were excitedly following tag travel mileage, to see when the new packs were arriving.  Nope.

On the Geocaching side of things, the closest MTG tag to me was placed a couple of hours ago.  It almost looks like the person who dropped it joined for the purpose of placing that tag.  And that they made the logs just fine. :D

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

I got an email telling me I am not getting anything.

- snip -

On the Geocaching side of things, the closest MTG tag to me was placed a couple of hours ago.  It almost looks like the person who dropped it joined for the purpose of placing that tag.  And that they made the logs just fine. :D

Same here.  Thought I might at least have one out again.    :)

Got the spiel of finding and moving it along as well, like it's our first.  If folks are joining just for this side-game, that might prove interesting...

14 minutes ago, jessiesomething said:

I haven't gotten the rejection e-mail, but I haven't gotten anything else yet to confirm that I will be getting it.  If I am supposed to receive a TB, should I have gotten something?

The last time I did one of these kinds of things, a tag showed up in the mail.  I got no other message.

This time, it was a full-page email excitedly telling me again about the promotion and how to track these tags, and that they received my application.  And keep reading and pretty soon they mention that I ain't getting any.  I would have figured all of that out anyway.  But yeah, I guess an email means you don't have to guess. :cute:

Hey guys, new member here as well and trying to wrap my head around this. Looking at the map here, if you zoom in on NE USA, you'll see there is currently one in Ocean City, NJ. I'm actually heading there next weekend and wanted to try to understand how this works. As far as I understand it, I should go to that location and find the cache, retrieve the trackable (TA short for trackable?), return the cache, then take the TA with me to place in another cache. Is this correct? Looking at the geocache description kind of confused me saying the staff is aware of it but I guess that's just because the cache is inside of a business? All of this may be a moot point anyway though since it looks like this trackable has already been taken and not logged. Am I correct in assuming that if it's not there anymore, that whoever found it did not properly retrieve it by logging it and probably won't be moving it along?

13 minutes ago, zechariah74 said:

Hey guys, new member here as well and trying to wrap my head around this. Looking at the map here, if you zoom in on NE USA, you'll see there is currently one in Ocean City, NJ. I'm actually heading there next weekend and wanted to try to understand how this works. As far as I understand it, I should go to that location and find the cache, retrieve the trackable (TA short for trackable?), return the cache, then take the TA with me to place in another cache. Is this correct? Looking at the geocache description kind of confused me saying the staff is aware of it but I guess that's just because the cache is inside of a business? All of this may be a moot point anyway though since it looks like this trackable has already been taken and not logged. Am I correct in assuming that if it's not there anymore, that whoever found it did not properly retrieve it by logging it and probably won't be moving it along?

Well, as I expected with this promotion, someone may have taken it without logging other than a note (actually kinda surprised they did that) ...  possibly the logger who said "This tractable totally wants to come closer to pa...", who has no finds.  

Probably correct, in some kids pocket about now ...

Good detective work, but you have shown that this promotion is creating people not knowledgeable on the basics of this hobby,  joining simply to  access other people's property, for a game piece that has nothing to do with this site's members ...

The basics of the hobby are explained pretty clear in  Geocaching 101.  Good luck.  :)

19 minutes ago, TheAwesomePenguins said:

I signed up to get one of the TB's and i got a note recently stating i did not get selected. Nice to know i didnt get picked. Whats not so nice is seeing someone who did get picked selling theirs on ebay. Why bother ruining the chance for someone who wants to get one, just to profit by a few bucks?

Yeah, someone in Alabama..  Wondered where those geocoins came from as well.

We noticed Michelin man trackables were being sold the day we found out about that promotion...    

2 hours ago, TheAwesomePenguins said:

I signed up to get one of the TB's and i got a note recently stating i did not get selected. Nice to know i didnt get picked. Whats not so nice is seeing someone who did get picked selling theirs on ebay. Why bother ruining the chance for someone who wants to get one, just to profit by a few bucks?

Blame the people that will bid $19.99 on a cheap stamped trackable tag that someone got for free. Those things will disappear like magic from caches anyway.

3 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Blame the people that will bid $19.99 on a cheap stamped trackable tag that someone got for free. Those things will disappear like magic from caches anyway.

HAHA! loved this comment.

As an aside about promotionals in general, I just got a "discovered" log on a Jeep TB I had on my follow list. This one had a log from the person who got it in the mail, who apparently kept the $1.49 toy car, and sent out the cardboard tag that came with it. That proxy promptly disappeared and then was "discovered" more than 10 years later.

Some of those Jeeps actually traveled a bit before disappearing, but that was when the game was young and cachers didn't know that they were supposed to just keep them and maybe bring them to events to "share" with others

14 minutes ago, hukilaulau said:

HAHA! loved this comment.

As an aside about promotionals in general, I just got a "discovered" log on a Jeep TB I had on my follow list. This one had a log from the person who got it in the mail, who apparently kept the $1.49 toy car, and sent out the cardboard tag that came with it. That proxy promptly disappeared and then was "discovered" more than 10 years later.

Some of those Jeeps actually traveled a bit before disappearing, but that was when the game was young and cachers didn't know that they were supposed to just keep them and maybe bring them to events to "share" with others

I know of a few of the Jeep TB's still stuck out in the woods needing recovered. ;)

26 minutes ago, hukilaulau said:

Still OT, but we enjoyed the Jeep Trackables. 

Maybe we got here just-in-time (don't remember...) , but taking pics for the many Trackable Jeep promotions (making that little toy  appear to be full size) was a lotta fun.  :)

I just got a string of discovers from the "GeocachingParty 2017" in Cracow Poland. The problem is the coin is right here in my possession. This happened with the tincup trackable I got as well as several other. Some how even though I have not given out the number it ends up on a list and gets disseminated far and wide.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:06 AM, Evil Tom said:

I just got a string of discovers from the "GeocachingParty 2017" in Cracow Poland. The problem is the coin is right here in my possession. This happened with the tincup trackable I got as well as several other. Some how even though I have not given out the number it ends up on a list and gets disseminated far and wide.

After hearing about the trackables lists troubles when I first started browsing the forums, I'm locking my trackables until I put them into circulation. I've got two I haven't put out yet, but unlock the one I'm personally logging when I would like to put a visit somewhere.