Oregon History Lesson cache series

fractal

So here's something I've sort of ignored for too long...

Way back in the day, I started a series of caches called "Oregon History Lessons" (OHL). These were caches placed near Oregon historical markers, also known as beaver boards.

After placing 3 of these caches, I found out exactly how many historical markers there are in our great state. I also realized that my goal of putting a cache near each of these sites is going to require me to do one of the following

:

A)Quit my job and place OHL caches nonstop for the next few years.

or

B)Try and get some help from cachers around the great state of Oregon icon_smile.gif

I'm going for B icon_biggrin.gif

I actually asked for help with this once before, and got a really good response. But now that it's been quite some time since a new OHL cache has been created, I thought it would be good to bring the subject up again. Also, there are a LOT more cachers today compared to when I first asked for help. More cachers also means more areas of the state are covered.

Here's some links that provide some more info:

The OHL series page on my website. (I'll be fixing this up in the future. More info about each site, etc.)

Information about the beaver boards, including locations. Don't miss the section about restoring some of the older boards. And, be sure to check out the Heritage Trees section. I think Maps-R-Us expressed some interest in creating a cache series for them.

I'm a little short on time right now, but I'll post some more info later on. Until then, post any questions, comments, or concerns you may have about the series.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45? 30.ish

W 122? 58.ish

The OHL cache I visited in Oregon City had me stumped for a few hours (McLoughlin), we had entered the building's erection date instead of the address into the equation for the cache location. Ended up finding a pretty cool place to stick a geocache, though... but not the right one. icon_smile.gif Realized the error while driving back into portland. 1772? Isn't that a date? icon_smile.gif

There's a beaver board on the santiam pass, I drive past it frequently during the year. I've often wondered about putting a cache in the area, connected to the OHL series... Hmmmm... icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe when the threat of icy doom thaws, I'll check into the area. icon_wink.gif

Updated:

Wow, I checked the link you gave, and I don't see the santiam pass board on the map! icon_eek.gif I could have sworn I've seen it, many times... maybe I've finally gone completely sideways... I'm not talking about the south santiam one, which is on the map... this one is located after the north/south merge, maybe 1/2 mile from the summit.

We agree that their are a lot of Beaver Boards waiting for caches and we have sort of slipped on this front as well. icon_rolleyes.gif There is one way to give the goal a big shot in the arm by converting a number of existing caches into OHL caches right away.

I have seen number of new caches over the last year or so that are at beaver boards but don't note the fact. If we just converted them to OHL caches with a graphic and a little updating of the description it would be fantastic. Two I remember are: Zzzoey's Erratic Memories which is V8 on the historical marker website, and Rices Raiders' Boone There Done That (V6) which is ready for the BBoard graphic as is, fractal!

Of course a lot of the Beaver Boards will have to be dual waypoint caches and take a little thought but that is what makes this sport so much fun!

As for the Heritage Trees, the same thing applies sinceXYZ/NGS by Makaio includes some trees (T2) at the second point and the Foster Lilac is at the Elven Launching cache which should be both a History Leson as well as a Heritage Tree cache!

I have e-mailed some of these cache owners suggesting they contact you fractal about turning them into OHL caches but a new website with a way to submit a cache for inclusion in the series might make it easier. icon_biggrin.gif

That Marker on the Satiam is not a Beaver Board but is a Historical Marker along the same line as the one just before getting into Sisters from the wet side and it seems to me like there is one just off the highway at Camp sherman and one at Indian Ford turn off also.

What is weird s I know where a couple Beaver Boards are that are not even listed on that website. Now those just might make for an interesting drive.

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

One Other thing, Would making these Beaver Boards into virtuals be okay ? icon_wink.gif Some of them are in really poor cache hiding planting spots. icon_redface.gif

Not that I want to do all that but I could put out about a dozen sitting right here at the computer. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif Including Numbers and answers ! icon_biggrin.gif

logscaler.

Cool! Then we can log finds without leaving the computer or the pain of having to pull out the GPSr icon_wink.gif

As for making some of them virtuals... I would only do this if there was no possible way to put a physical cache in the area.

I've just put up the new Oregon History Lessons website at ohl.moonrize.com. It's nothing too fancy, but there is an online form to submit a cache to the OHL series. This should make the process run a little smoother..I hope!

After a submission is made, people will get their OHL# assigned, and be provided HTML code (with full instructions) to place their beaver board graphic on their cache page. The graphic is provided by me and hosted on Moonrize, so there's no need to worry about who makes it and where it's stored. icon_biggrin.gif

Please check out the site and let me know how you think it could be improved. I do plan on adding graphics, maps, etc...

Also, feel free to start using the online form to create a new OHL series cache.

Off to another project...

-fractal

Approved this morning and ready for a first find! Hope the math is all right!

quote:
And, are those archived ones open for new cachers ? Or are the first people planning on doing more ?

logscaler -since most of the 'archives' are ours we should answer that the Batteries Plus is not really archived, just disabled for high water - will return soon. The Oregon Carto cache is also disabled and will probably not be a history cache when we replace it. Someone else placed a cache at the spot after ours was plundered and a second person has it as a virtual, so not much point of us doing ours there again. We thought if we waited long enough, the other caches might disappear and we could reclaim the location and the OHL. And the last one listed at the Oregon History Lessons Homepageis the Champoeg Rendezvous that was reincarneted into two other caches!

I'll change some of the (archived) notes to say (currently unavailable).

I'd like to keep the archived caches on the list for 'historical purposes'... That way people can see what has been done, and maybe encourage them to place a new cache for one that has been archived...

I think I'll change the note to say something like:

(archived - contact us if you would like to place a new cache for this history lesson)

So, in the case of the Carto cache (and other archived OHL caches), I'll leave the list as-is until someone contacts me about wanting to take on that particular beaver board/area. If and when I am contacted, I would let Maps-R-Us know that someone has an interest in that OHL, and ask them if they might re-activate/replace the cache soon, or give up that OHL to the interested party.

I'm not trying to be the cache police or anything.. I just want to make sure the list is up to date, and we don't have multiple caches dealing with the exact same thing... Sound ok?

Also.. Just wanted to say THANKS to those that are helping out with the series.. In the last 7 days, 6 caches have been added!

Keep `em coming icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal