What could you recommed to beginner without mobile data feed?

Polda18

Hello. I already wrote question about this, but I can't figure out how to edit it, nor how to delete it, sorry.

The point is that: I downloaded official app, which is restricted in functions for basic members - I can't save offline maps, I can't save offline caches, however I can use offline cached maps from Google and few caches can be loaded up into memory (not only one as stated). I already know it's meant mainly for beginners, but I live in area where mobile signal is weak and I do not have purchased mobile data feed. In fact, my mobile service provider doesn't support unlimited data access (I can live without that, for GC), but also the smallest data feed package is expensive as hell, so I do not use mobile data feed at all, only when neccessary (internet access from home router not available currently, I need to quickly check something in area without wifi). I find quite unneccessary to use mobile data for GC, especially when I plan just a small trip around, like now, wifi is unavailable from outside, of course. I want to visit 7 caches (first ones to find), but I don't know how many caches my mobile is able to save in cache, and of course offline log. Navigating is just a piece of cake. However, what could you recommend to beginner like me when he doesn't want to spend mobile data on few hours of hiking and wifi can't be accessed and offline features are currently unavailable?

In terms of premium membership: is it worth for a beginner like me? I mean, offline access is a premium feature, like many other - multi caches, mystery caches, and others, lists, etc. All I need is just offline access, just to begin. Maybe later I will start solving mystery caches (and I already looked to listings of some, interested in those), so I'd purchase premium membership for that then, but not now, if there's not much about to say. Someone says that premium membership is unneccessary for beginners, as newbies may not use the premium features much, which is then worthless... What is your opinion?

If you can load caches into your phone, why not just go to the site for caches in areas that interest you, using the map?  :)

You're not restricted by the 1.5 limitations if using the site, so you could access mystery, multis, etc., with no restrictions on D/T either. 

The only thing you'd miss would be premium member-only caches.  Unless there's a lot in your area, no big deal for now.

I'm still trying to figure how you have sigs and such on your forum profile, as that used to be a premium feature as well.  :)

• Upvote 2

I don't know. Probably Groundspeak released some of features for free. I figured out that I can load caches that are terrain 2 (not just 1.5 as stated), however I am still basic member. But I can't load up mystery cache, multi cache, earthcache, and so on. But I'm not interested in these now. The ones I want to visit are traditional ones, so I can view them on mobile. If I can load up all the 7 that I want to plan a trip around, then that's good news :) So I'll try, in worst case I'll just enable mobile data temporarily, or write logs down on paper tohether with timestamps, and log later on websites :)

I live in area, where there's pretty much small amount of premium-only caches, the only premium feature I find useful for now is just the offline access (save caches, offline lists, offline maps), so nothing really hot :) Thank you anyway :)

If you look at the cache pages using the website then you can write down the coordinates, the hint and so on. If you find an app which allows you to enter the coordinates by hand then you don't need the official app or a data feed - you just enter the coordinates when you're close enough to the cache to make it worthwhile and go and find it.

That relies on you wanting to bother to do the prep work in terms of writing stuff down. Personally I enjoy that part of the game.

There's absolutely no need whatsoever to log caches as you find them - you're much better off, in my opinion, login when you get home.

Do you have access to a desktop and/or laptop computer that's connected to the internet?  If so, then you could view the caches on your computer and print out the info you're interested in.

On your phone, you could open the caches in your web browser. On each cache, click the 3-dots (horizontal or vertical, depending on Android or iOS) and select "Open in browser".  Once the cache pages are open on your phone browser, then keep the browser task running so they are still available when you're not connected. The browser you use on your phone might also have the option to save the page. For example, Firefox for Android has an option to save page as PDF.  That PDF can then be opened from the phone's file manager when offline.  I'm not familiar with the options for iPhones.

Another potential option is to look into using other apps. Other apps may have different restrictions/abilities for offline use.

I see it this way: I'll use the official app for navigation to the four cached caches and log date and time with log notes to the paper. I figured out that travelbugs do not get cached in my device, and two caches have travelbugs inside, so I'd be better log it to paper time being, then log it online. I decided to four, because they're in quiet place near my home, where not much people go around, so there's less chance to meet a muggle, than further in city. And because I'm a photographer, too, I'll take some nice pictures alongside :)

And I'll start looking for some mobile services provider to get data feed for secondary SIM card (my phone is dual-SIM) - so I could use the app with internet access outside :) That's for further seeking and for another reason - I'm a student, which travels a lot by train, so internet access to travel is a must have, when I need to check something. My primary phone service provider doesn't support unlimited data feed, but that's not limitation, if I can use two SIM cards in one phone. One will be for texting/calling, the other for internet.

So new SIM card would be used for important school things, contact with friends on Facebook, and I could occasionally look for some caches nearby :)