Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
TheOriginalWildMan

I may have inadvertently cheated. HELP!!

5 posts in this topic

I've only been at this caching game since March, and am still learning my way around.  I recently discovered the project-gc site, and began looking around at all the challenges found there.  I found several that it seemed I had fulfilled the requirements for, so I checked on the "challenge checker", then found the code for the challenge(s) and posted that I'd completed them.  To my surprise, I found that I received a state souvenir from the state in which the challenge originated.  Now, I think that I am also supposed to sign a log in the originating state in order to claim the challenge "legally".  I don't want anything I haven't properly earned, but now have souvenirs from Minnesota, Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin, and have never physically geocached in any of them.

I think I can go back and delete my log entries for all the challenges.  Will that delete the "found" record from my profile.  I KNOW it won't delete the souvenirs, and I'd like them removed as well.  What do I need to do?

Yes deleting the log will delete the found record from your profile.

To remove the souvenirs you need to contact Groundpseak and explain, via the "contact us" link at the bottom of most pages.

Thank you for your honesty.  There's hope for this hobby yet.  :D

Thanks.  I went back and reread the requirements and most of them seem to indicate that you can use caches found ANYWHERE for the challenge, but I still feel hinky about having the souvenirs.  I'll contact Groundspeak.  Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, TheOriginalWildMan said:

Thanks.  I went back and reread the requirements and most of them seem to indicate that you can use caches found ANYWHERE for the challenge, but I still feel hinky about having the souvenirs.  I'll contact Groundspeak.  Thanks for your help.

Just so there's no confusion, challenge caches have two elements that must be completed to log an online find: there's the challenge to complete plus the challenge cache itself has a physical container at its listed coordinates that you must find and sign its log. This Help Centre page explains it.