Back to southern Arizona from Hawaii

Hi you guys :) I am a long time geocacher who lost touch when I moved to Maui, its just not happening a lot here. Beautiful, but not a lot of caching. OK so I have two Garmin Hcx Etrex. I know, its been a moment. I need to buy a new unit, and am eyeing the link below. Is this my best bet right now? I have bad eyes, so will this be a step up? And oh, I am not a touchscreen fan. Any feedback welcome.

And also, new friends :) Please? I am taking tomorrow off so I can sit online and make friends and talk story and rekindle my passion for geocaching. I am ready to purchase tonight, so talk to me....

Mods, if in the wrong place, please let me know <3

Edited by robertlipe
Removed referral codes from link.

Hello, and welcome back to geocaching!  I am always happy to read stories like yours, and there seems to be a lot of them lately in these Forums.

The Garmin 64ST is a great GPS unit, if purchased at the right price  I just bought one from Amazon on "Prime Day" last month for about $100 less than the link you posted.  At nearly $300, you might consider upgrading to the Garmin Oregon series if you'd like a higher-resolution screen.  The 64ST is not the "latest and greatest" so it should be on sale again, somewhere -- whether on Amazon, another website, a sporting goods store, etc.  It depends on whether you're patient or if you really have the urge to make an impulse purchase.  There's nothing wrong with that, if you have the money!

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1

lost touch, eh? Do you mean to say that you cached out the entire island? There are currently 173 caches on the island, by my search, and it looks like you missed your chance to collect any of them. Well, hopefully you'll be back for a visit. You were in a nice position to get one of the two states that are difficult to access for most geocachers.

the 64s is a fine unit. The screen will be much bigger and brighter than your old eTrex, which should make it more readable. I know you say you're not a fan of touch screens, but you should be aware that the Oregon series, whether a 600 or a 700, has approximately the same size screen, but twice the pixels. To me, that makes the images and text on the screen a bit crisper and easier to read, and if your eyesight isn't that great, perhaps readability is more important than your distaste for a touch screen? I can't really make that decision, but it's worth a consideration. Perhaps before you hit the purchase button, you might pop into your local outdoor gear shop (is there an REI nearby?) to hold some different models in your hand see how you like the interface and software.

The last thing I'll recommend is that the "t" models aren't really worth the extra money. There are more detailed topo maps that you can download and install for free over at www.gpsfiledepot.com .