GPS device or Phone?

I would like to return to geocaching after not doing it 5 years! I have a Magellan GPS eXplorist that I got about 5 or so yrs ago .. is this still good to use.. I know phones are great now.. But sometimes my mobile service stinks.. can I use both.. and is there an app.. This of course I assume is till an upgrade feature! Thanks !! 

1 hour ago, metalchickphd said:

I would like to return to geocaching after not doing it 5 years! I have a Magellan GPS eXplorist that I got about 5 or so yrs ago .. is this still good to use.. I know phones are great now.. But sometimes my mobile service stinks.. can I use both.. and is there an app.. This of course I assume is till an upgrade feature! Thanks !! 

Some combination of both would be good.  There are Apps, but if you remain a basic member, and are hunting just a couple caches a day (or fewer), visiting a cache page by phone (web browser on the phone), entering coordinates into the GPSr manually, might work fine for you.

• Upvote 1

we were in the same spot and just got back into caching after about 4 or 5 years.  The phone apps are amazing compared to when it first came out for the iphone.  I have since switched to an Android and love the app.  However, I still find in tree cover, or spotty service areas that my 60CSx is much more accurate.   but for in town or in areas where cell service is decent, the phones are great.