Indigenous Protected Areas

BowelsleyAndJames

Recently, owners of earthcaches at Ayres Rock were requested to provide permission from the local aboriginal community ... I believe you will require written confirmation from the traditional owners that they agree to the cache having been placed.  You should be able to send a message to your local reviewer to check though.

On 10/08/2017 at 11:18 AM, BowelsleyAndJames said:

Does anyone know whether it is allowable to hide a cache in an Indigenous Protected Area? I know there are lots hidden in national parks etc but I'm uncertain in this instance

Cache owners are required to obtain permission from National Parks otherwise it will not be published by the Reviewer. Likewise you need permission from any land owner including Traditional Owners before placing a cache.

I think you're less likely to be allowed to hide one in a significant Indigenous site than you are in a national park. Indigenous sites can be archaeologically sensitive and one of the cardinal rules of geocaching is that we don't damage anything. Also you need to be respectful of culture and don't hide caches in known sacred sites or middens or places with rock art.

Err on the side of caution, I think. If you have to ask "canI/should I?" then the answer is probably no in this case.

• Upvote 1

In NSW, physical caches approved in National Parks must be at least fifty metres from any registered Aboriginal site and, in my own dealings recently with the local ranger, they also won't approve caches if the track to the cache location passes through an Aboriginal site. Outside National Parks, I'd err on the side of caution and respect and keep my distance, and even if it's a signposted site that encourages visitors, it might be best to make it a multi with virtual waypoints at the site and the physical cache elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
On 23/08/2017 at 11:16 AM, colleda said:

Cache owners are required to obtain permission from National Parks otherwise it will not be published by the Reviewer. Likewise you need permission from any land owner including Traditional Owners before placing a cache.

So does this mean Native Title Owners? If that is the case, you could pretty much put an end to caching in Oz. Recently, native title was given to the traditional owners of a huge tract of land in CQ, including, IIRC, the entire area from Gladstone to Bundaberg. If your going to need permission from the native title owners, I give up. 

It would depend on the location so use your common sense. For public land you don't need permission. For privately owned land you do. For any heritage-listed sites, you definitely need permission. You'd also need permission from the traditional owners to put a cache in any Aboriginal sacred sites.

I think though, as long as the place you intend to put a cache isn't in a sacred site or archaeologically significant site then the traditional owners wouldn't have too much of a problem with you placing a cache, especially if you give acknowledgement to them in the cache description.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:05 PM, DARKSIDEDAN said:

Cache owners are required to obtain permission from National Parks and any land owner including Traditional Owners before placing a cache. Always best to ask before placing a cache so as not to offend. In almost all cases the answer is "yes" anyway.

It varies by state. In some states, I don't think formal permission is needed in national parks but in NSW it is and one of their conditions is that physical caches can't be within 50 metres of Aboriginal sites or Aboriginal places.