Logging a puzzle cache

First-I am a Premium member and an "old school" cacher in that I use a GPSr not a phone app for finding caches.  But I do have the app on my phone and occasionally want to use it to log caches as I find them.  Today I wanted to do that in order to keep track of how many points I had this week for the Mary Hyde souvenir.  The first cache I found I was able to post my log without difficulty.  But the second one-which was a puzzle cache-- I couldn't find the cache in the app.  When I was trying to log it, I was sitting in my car about 500*/- feet from the cache, but the app would not show the cache on the map.  It would show me 2 "nearby" caches, neither of which was the one I wanted.  When I tried to have it show in the list, I got an error message about the list being not found or unavailable or something--I don't remember.  I finally did get it logged by going to the website on my phone and logging it from there.  

So my question is:  why couldn't I see the puzzle cache location on the map?  Does one have to start from the listed coordinates (which I didn't know at the time, but are just about 1 mile from the actual) even when basically sitting on top of the actual location?

If you are in the app, and viewing the map, you can see the solved coordinate location (if you have entered the solved coordinates) by choosing the ? icon at the posted coordinates and hitting the Start button.  The icon will switch to a puzzle piece and the navigation will begin to the solved location.  This only works if you have soved the puzzle and entered the corrected coordinates.

46 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

If you are in the app, and viewing the map, you can see the solved coordinate location (if you have entered the solved coordinates) by choosing the ? icon at the posted coordinates and hitting the Start button.  The icon will switch to a puzzle piece and the navigation will begin to the solved location.  This only works if you have soved the puzzle and entered the corrected coordinates.

I solved the puzzle and entered the corrected coordinates; that's how I found the cache with my GPS.   I couldn't see the location of the posted coordinates.   And once I have the corrected coordinates, why would I want to start at the posted coordinates to find the cache? 

18 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I solved the puzzle and entered the corrected coordinates; that's how I found the cache with my GPS.   I couldn't see the location of the posted coordinates.   And once I have the corrected coordinates, why would I want to start at the posted coordinates to find the cache? 

You don't actually need to "start" at the phsical location of the posted coordinates.  I used the app on my phone to look up the puzzle cache, and tapped Start so I could see where the solved location was.  I was actaully at home when I did this.  I'm not at a place where I can grab and upload a screenshot of the puzzle and solved icons and their locations on the map, but I will try to do so in a bit.

25 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

You don't actually need to "start" at the phsical location of the posted coordinates.  I used the app on my phone to look up the puzzle cache, and tapped Start so I could see where the solved location was.  I was actaully at home when I did this.  I'm not at a place where I can grab and upload a screenshot of the puzzle and solved icons and their locations on the map, but I will try to do so in a bit.

OK--how did you "use the app " to look up the puzzle cache? I was using the app and it would not show the cache at the solved location. I didn't know where the listed location was. I couldn't zoom out far enough to find it because the map started "clumping " the caches. 

Anyway I didn't mean necessarily physically starting at the listed location;  I meant starting there on the map.

6 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

OK--how did you "use the app " to look up the puzzle cache? I was using the app and it would not show the cache at the solved location. I didn't know where the listed location was. I couldn't zoom out far enough to find it because the map started "clumping " the caches.

Hmmm, most puzzle caches/mystery caches have the posted and solved coordinates within a couple of miles or less - I can easily see the posted and solved before the caches start "clumping".  Even so, if you know the GC code for the cache, search for that?

33 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Hmmm, most puzzle caches/mystery caches have the posted and solved coordinates within a couple of miles or less - I can easily see the posted and solved before the caches start "clumping".  Even so, if you know the GC code for the cache, search for that?

The posted and solved coordinates are just about a mile apart; there are about 40 caches within a mile of the cache location. 

But yes, I could have looked it up by GC code; thanks for that idea. 

OK.  I used a work-around (the website) and CAVinoGal gave me another, which would have been quicker and easier than mine, but here's what I really want:

When I have entered corrected coordinates, I want the cache to show up there on the map without having to first find the posted coordinates and hit Start.

Edited by NanCycle
Stupid autocorrect.
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

OK.  I used a work-around (the website) and CAVinoGal gal me another, which would have been quicker and easier than mine, but here's what I really want:

When I have entered corrected coordinates, I want the cache to show up there on the map without having to first find the posted coordinates and hit Start.

I have version 5.6.3, which is showing my solved puzzle caches at my corrected coordinates.  It sounds like you may not have have the latest update.  You may need to update your app (by going to the Google Play app store, hitting the menu, selecting "My apps," and then selecting the Geocaching app from the updates menu). 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Aha!  I currently have ver. 5.6.1.  I will update--thank you.

That should help, NanCycle - lots of improvements and updates to the app recently have added a lot. :)

That's how it works with the newest version - I can see all my solved puzzles as puzzle piece icons at the solved coordinates.  No need to go to the posted location to start any longer.

Once "found" though, it goes back to the posted coords with a smiliey face.

Edited by CAVinoGal