Looking to find a good starter GPS for geocaching

bolty33

I am looking at these two right now:

Magellan eXplorist GC: http://www.magellangps.com/Store-Subcategories/Stocking_Stuffers_under/eXplorist-GC-Refurbished

Magellan eXplorist 110: http://www.magellangps.com/Store/Outdoor-Refurbished-GPS-Units/eXplorist-110-NA-Refurbished

Is getting a refubished model ok? of the two, which would be most beneficial? I saw that the GC has a better processor, but is that really all that important? Any advice to give to someone new to GPS and geocaching? Is there a good way to get free map updates? Budget is an issue for me, so I cannot afford anything higher than $50-70ish

Edited by bolty33

To answer your second question first, yes.  I'm too new at this myself to provide details, but I expect someone to be along with them momentarily.

As to GPS, after considerable research, I decided to eliminate Magellans; Garmins seem to be the way to go according to almost every rating/review/comparison I found.  Many here are using/recommending models in the eTrex series.  You can prolly find better deals here, Craigs List, etc.  Refurbished is prolly ok with some kind of warranty.  Others may have experience.

Best Wishes! :)

Edited by RufusClupea

I have heard garmins are great, but I don't think they have much in the way of cheap eTrex models, and I know that unlike the car units, you don't get the lifetime map updates for the handheld hiking units for Geocaching. I am still looking around and doing research.

2 minutes ago, bolty33 said:

I have heard garmins are great, but I don't think they have much in the way of cheap eTrex models, and I know that unlike the car units, you don't get the lifetime map updates for the handheld hiking units for Geocaching. I am still looking around and doing research.

Free map updates can be gotten, and better than what Garmin sells.  Updates of Geocaches are gotten here (Upgraded Membership is advised, but not abs. necessary).

Edited by RufusClupea

do you know if a color screen is recommended or can you go with the dot matrix b/w screen? i am looking at an Garmin eTrex 10 for $70 and an eTrex Legend for $40 being sold by a local people on a classified ad.

Edited by bolty33
1 hour ago, bolty33 said:

do you know if a color screen is recommended or can you go with the dot matrix b/w screen? i am looking at an Garmin eTrex 10 for $70 and an eTrex Legend for $40 being sold by a local people on a classified ad.

We had an Etrex 10 as our first handheld after using a Garmin Nuvi to get started and its a great starter GPS. If your budget is that tight then I can recommend the Etrex 10. Do not get a Legend, they're old technology. After losing another etrex 20 (there's a thread about that) I reverted to my old Etrex 10. It felt very basic, no bells and whistles, but it does the job very well if you can manage only the basic basemap it comes with. If you can scrape a few more pennies together then look around for an Etrex 20.

5 hours ago, bolty33 said:

IMO, that's a little like asking if DVD/Blu-ray is recommended or can you go with VHS?

B/W screens are a bit of a dinosaur; you'd lose a lot, especially if you're talking about updating maps.  YMMV.

What did you find a cache with in '15? 

Do you have a smartphone?     I'd think an app would be better than an etrex 10...

I'd stick with Garmin, but similar to colleda, I  wouldn't think of a legend today (though we still have one as a spare/loaner from '05).

Maybe just wait a while until you can grab an etrex 20 (if you seem to like that style GPSr).

The "guide to buying..." is so outdated it still has geomate jr listed, and one of the domain links is for sale.    :laughing:

"What GPS" has it's last post as March, 2010 (though a mod tries to keep the OP updated).

No offense, but can't really tell if you're just playing around, or if that really somehow helped you choose.  

Edited by cerberus1
56 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

No offense, but can't really tell if you're just playing around, or if that really somehow helped you choose.  

No, I wasn't playing around.  "Guide to Buying..." did help, because I knew nothing about GPSrs, and less about what features I would need for geocaching.  I found it originally via goggle (it came up in my initial search), and didn't realize it was outdated.  By the time I did, I had learned enough to know what was being written about--even if some was... moot.  I still think much of it is useful to neophytes.  I don't know why it hasn't been updated.

"What GPS Should I..." is outdated, but as you noted, an attempt has been made to keep it relevant, and I thought there were some useful nuggets in the discussions (especially pros & cons); they actually helped me rule some of those models out for me.

Like I said in my own post, I tend to get very methodical (say what you want about my method(s)).  I read everything I can find, and worry about discounting things (e.g. outdated material) later.  Sometimes, some very useful information can be gleaned from older sources. My DW uses the same methodology with appliances.  She actually likes doing that kind of research, making up spreadsheets (applying analytical stuff I don't even understand), etc.

Edited by RufusClupea
On 8/9/2017 at 8:18 PM, cerberus1 said:

What did you find a cache with in '15? 

Do you have a smartphone?     I'd think an app would be better than an etrex 10...

I'd stick with Garmin, but similar to colleda, I  wouldn't think of a legend today (though we still have one as a spare/loaner from '05).

Maybe just wait a while until you can grab an etrex 20 (if you seem to like that style GPSr).

i borrowed a friend's car gps, and it was just a block away from where i live, even though i could throw waypoints on it, it didnt really give any info on the actual geocache, and i assume the ones that say they do paperless geocaching do? i am wanting a good one, that will last me a while for a good price.

no smartphone yet.

i found an etrex 20x on a local classified ad, and it is selling for $99 new, never used, still in box. i am hoping i can negotiate it down to $50-75, i dunno if the gps is still available as the ad has been up for a month and sometimes people forget to check as well as to take things down when sold. considering the model is selling for $200 new, if i can get it cheaper, it would be very awesome. i like the features the system says it has, it is awesome to have a good $25hr battery life for a colored device.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518046#overview

Edited by bolty33
8 hours ago, bolty33 said:

i borrowed a friend's car gps, and it was just a block away from where i live, even though i could throw waypoints on it, it didnt really give any info on the actual geocache, and i assume the ones that say they do paperless geocaching do? i am wanting a good one, that will last me a while for a good price.

no smartphone yet.

i found an etrex 20x on a local classified ad, and it is selling for $99 new, never used, still in box. i am hoping i can negotiate it down to $50-75, i dunno if the gps is still available as the ad has been up for a month and sometimes people forget to check as well as to take things down when sold. considering the model is selling for $200 new, if i can get it cheaper, it would be very awesome. i like the features the system says it has, it is awesome to have a good $25hr battery life for a colored device.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518046#overview

Bargain! Grabbit.

17 hours ago, bolty33 said:

i found an etrex 20x on a local classified ad, and it is selling for $99 new, never used, still in box. i am hoping i can negotiate it down to $50-75,

If it could be gotten for $50-$75, it may be gone already.  If I were in the market for that model, I'd prolly grab it for $99 if it checked out ok (as advertised).

I wouldn't get too excited about battery life.  Mfrs. tend to... be optimistic. 

i havent heard back yet, and am checking local pawn shops today, will let you know what the results are, there is 1 garmin etrex, and 2 magellans, i think one is a triton 500. i am still looking on the list around me and calling.

i decided to get the Magellan triton 500, $30. looks brand new except for some scuffs on the plastic display screen. i ordered a USB cable connector for updating it, as well as a car connector off amazon for $12.50ish total, once i get some rechargable batteries and an sd card i will be ready to go though!

does anyone know how to go about getting a full statewide topo map? so far i have only found that you have select multiple smaller regions, and i cannot seem to find a decent statewide map.

Edited by bolty33
On 8/9/2017 at 2:39 PM, bolty33 said:

There are free OpenStreetMaps available that cover every location in the world but they're only available for Garmin GPS models.  The "Send to GPS" function on the GS web site only works with Garmin GPS models.