Meeting Halls

Doing a Waymark just now it occurred to me that it didn't have a category of its own - Meeting Halls.

Some time ago I proposed the idea of a category for Temperance Halls. The proposal acted somewhat like a lead balloon.

A potentially much broader category would also include Union Halls (and any similar type of meeting place the Waymarking community can conjure up).

Anywhere there is labour, there are labour halls, AKA Union Halls. We've come across many of them in our travels, particularly in mining country, but there are/were steelworker union halls, auto worker union halls, farm labour union halls, public employee union halls, etc., etc.

My hope is to include both contemporary and historic halls. Given the nature of the places we've travelled, most of the ones we've encountered are of a historic nature, now used as museums, offices, or what have you. The one pictured is now a museum.

Input now or forever hold your peace.:)

Keith

CONT Labor Temple-02.JPG

CONT Labor Temple-01.JPG

Edited by BK-Hunters
3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Grange Halls is already a category and presumably would be excluded? 

What about multipurpose buildings that hosted several kinds of meetings - most usually seen in small towns whose labor organizations met in the Masonic Lodge.

Yes, Grange, Masonic, BPOE, Elks,, etc. would be excluded, as they already have a home...

...as would a Masonic hall used by labour unions as it is still a Masonic hall. I am thinking of purpose built union (and other) meeting halls.

Keith

This proposal has good potential but would require a well-written category description to specifically exclude (or include) certain buildings. As for limiting meeting halls to those of a historic nature... I came across a Firemen's Union Hall building (non-historic) in Seattle and was bummed that there is no category for these. So with that said, I would support this category idea. :)

3 hours ago, thebeav69 said:

This proposal has good potential but would require a well-written category description to specifically exclude (or include) certain buildings. As for limiting meeting halls to those of a historic nature...

I had no intention of limiting the category to only historic meeting halls. For the purposes of this category, a meeting hall is a meeting hall, but I will always find the historic ones more interesting than contemporary ones. The limitations I mentioned above still stand, however.

Too bad we couldn't rouse more interest for this category. If we don't get much more input I'll let this die on the vine.

Keith

I may be ignorant, but I don't think that we have a lot of meeting halls in Austria. At least I never heard of any. I couldn't find anything like Temperance Halls and not even Union Halls. I think that Union workers didn't meet in bigger quantity on a regular basis. If there was the need to do that they would use a remise or factory hall or whatever is available. I don't know about other countries in Europe though.

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I may be ignorant, but I don't think that we have a lot of meeting halls in Austria. At least I never heard of any. I couldn't find anything like Temperance Halls and not even Union Halls. I think that Union workers didn't meet in bigger quantity on a regular basis. If there was the need to do that they would use a remise or factory hall or whatever is available. I don't know about other countries in Europe though.

I think they don't exist in Switzerland either. Never seen or heard of one. Meetings in halls have always been in rented multi-purpose halls, usually school gyms in small towns, municipal halls in larger towns, eventually commercial event organizations or sports stadiums in cities.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:34 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Doing a Waymark just now it occurred to me that it didn't have a category of its own - Meeting Halls.

Some time ago I proposed the idea of a category for Temperance Halls. The proposal acted somewhat like a lead balloon.

A potentially much broader category would also include Union Halls (and any similar type of meeting place the Waymarking community can conjure up).

Anywhere there is labour, there are labour halls, AKA Union Halls. We've come across many of them in our travels, particularly in mining country, but there are/were steelworker union halls, auto worker union halls, farm labour union halls, public employee union halls, etc., etc.

My hope is to include both contemporary and historic halls. Given the nature of the places we've travelled, most of the ones we've encountered are of a historic nature, now used as museums, offices, or what have you. The one pictured is now a museum.

Input now or forever hold your peace.:)

Keith

IOOF halls, Grange Halls, Masonic Lodges -- we do have some meeting halls. VFW,  Moose, Elks, FOE and Legion Halls would also fit the category.

Edited by vulture1957
On 8/25/2017 at 12:16 PM, fi67 said:

I think they don't exist in Switzerland either. Never seen or heard of one. Meetings in halls have always been in rented multi-purpose halls, usually school gyms in small towns, municipal halls in larger towns, eventually commercial event organizations or sports stadiums in cities.

Kinda like Romanesque Architecture in the New World?????  Sorry, too soon?

In Australia we have country halls. Geocaching Australia has a Locationless cache - Country Halls GA11335 where various examples can be seen. You don't have to be a member or even logon & can start here: https://geocaching.com.au/search/

The CO describes these halls as "The humble country hall. Often the social hub of a district. Reading through the old newspaper archives you often see references to concerts, plays, dances, meetings, welcome homes and farewells". 

Some are memorial halls so can be waymarked as such. I have never seen these halls identified as purely meeting places or with the word Labour included. I waymarked two buildings in the industrial & mining town of Lithgow, with one called Union Offices, the other Trades Hall.  The latter hosted social events but given its size probably had multiple uses. I've attended meetings & social events in country halls over the years. 

What's this? Interest rolling around once again?

Country halls, per se, wouldn't fit the category as envisioned as they are a form of community hall. Trades Halls, yes. Union Offices, possibly, if they had a large hall or room on the premises designed to house meetings, in particular union meetings.

Maybe I'll continue with this... ... We'll just sit on it for now.

Keith