Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
BK-Hunters

Meeting Halls

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Doing a Waymark just now it occurred to me that it didn't have a category of its own - Meeting Halls.

Some time ago I proposed the idea of a category for Temperance Halls. The proposal acted somewhat like a lead balloon.

A potentially much broader category would also include Union Halls (and any similar type of meeting place the Waymarking community can conjure up).

Anywhere there is labour, there are labour halls, AKA Union Halls. We've come across many of them in our travels, particularly in mining country, but there are/were steelworker union halls, auto worker union halls, farm labour union halls, public employee union halls, etc., etc.

My hope is to include both contemporary and historic halls. Given the nature of the places we've travelled, most of the ones we've encountered are of a historic nature, now used as museums, offices, or what have you. The one pictured is now a museum.

Input now or forever hold your peace.:)

Keith

CONT Labor Temple-02.JPG

CONT Labor Temple-01.JPG

Edited by BK-Hunters
0

Share this post


Link to post

I can think of lots but the idea is not too exciting to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, elyob said:

I can think of lots but the idea is not too exciting to me.

Then think of historical meeting halls - 100 to 200 years old. Europeans could likely find ones many centuries old.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Now you've got me thinking: perhaps only former and/or historical and then somehow defining historical.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Grange Halls is already a category and presumably would be excluded? 

 

What about multipurpose buildings that hosted several kinds of meetings - most usually seen in small towns whose labor organizations met in the Masonic Lodge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Grange Halls is already a category and presumably would be excluded? 

 

What about multipurpose buildings that hosted several kinds of meetings - most usually seen in small towns whose labor organizations met in the Masonic Lodge.

Yes, Grange, Masonic, BPOE, Elks,, etc. would be excluded, as they already have a home...

...as would a Masonic hall used by labour unions as it is still a Masonic hall. I am thinking of purpose built union (and other) meeting halls.

Keith

0

Share this post


Link to post

This proposal has good potential but would require a well-written category description to specifically exclude (or include) certain buildings. As for limiting meeting halls to those of a historic nature... I came across a Firemen's Union Hall building (non-historic) in Seattle and was bummed that there is no category for these. So with that said, I would support this category idea. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, thebeav69 said:

This proposal has good potential but would require a well-written category description to specifically exclude (or include) certain buildings. As for limiting meeting halls to those of a historic nature...

I had no intention of limiting the category to only historic meeting halls. For the purposes of this category, a meeting hall is a meeting hall, but I will always find the historic ones more interesting than contemporary ones. The limitations I mentioned above still stand, however.

Too bad we couldn't rouse more interest for this category. If we don't get much more input I'll let this die on the vine.

Keith

0

Share this post


Link to post

I may be ignorant, but I don't think that we have a lot of meeting halls in Austria. At least I never heard of any. I couldn't find anything like Temperance Halls and not even Union Halls. I think that Union workers didn't meet in bigger quantity on a regular basis. If there was the need to do that they would use a remise or factory hall or whatever is available. I don't know about other countries in Europe though.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps the factory hall would fit this category.

0

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I may be ignorant, but I don't think that we have a lot of meeting halls in Austria. At least I never heard of any. I couldn't find anything like Temperance Halls and not even Union Halls. I think that Union workers didn't meet in bigger quantity on a regular basis. If there was the need to do that they would use a remise or factory hall or whatever is available. I don't know about other countries in Europe though.

I think they don't exist in Switzerland either. Never seen or heard of one. Meetings in halls have always been in rented multi-purpose halls, usually school gyms in small towns, municipal halls in larger towns, eventually commercial event organizations or sports stadiums in cities.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2