All-Natural Mosquito Repellent

I looked through some older threads on this topic (2004-2007)--didn't see this particular recipe (though I could have missed it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4LEiLdeJg

Ingredients:

• Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Witch Hazel

I can attest that the stuff works for at least a couple hours (the claim is up to 6 hrs.) and doesn't smell all that bad.  We've been carrying a small (pump) spray bottle in our TOTT.  Also the stuff is so easy & inexpensive to make that multiple applications (if necessary) aren't a big deal.

2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

If you're going to cover a cache container with some type of critter deterrent, you MUST put a big ol' HAZMAT symbol on it AND on the cache page as well.

NOTE: DOES NOT REQUIRE HAZMAT SYMBOLS/WARNINGS  :D

I used to use Cutter or Coleman lemon/eucalyptus quite a few years ago, after I melted so many things with DEET.   :)

- On a long hike and sweaty, I think the stuff reeks.   May be okay for roadside 1.5s...

Now I spray with Sawyer or Natrapel picaridin on skin, and all clothing, boots, and packs get treated with permethrin.

• Upvote 1

I hate DEET and must be allergic. The chemical actually makes me ticked off and I know this after several experiences when out doing yard work (woodsy area behind our home in skeeterville). 

As for these "natural solutions", I'd just Iike for The Almighty to tell me what to use on my dog to keep mosquitos off. I can, as a human, figure out what works for me by myself (oh dear, experiments, experiments!) but he can only depend on me to keep the devil of this planet off him.

Scientists, naturalists, they're the same. One source always says one thing while another says something different and yet another also says something different.   

Hogwash to all of it, most of the time.

40 minutes ago, Mama514 said:

As for these "natural solutions", I'd just Iike for The Almighty to tell me what to use on my dog to keep mosquitos off. I can, as a human, figure out what works for me by myself (oh dear, experiments, experiments!) but he can only depend on me to keep the devil of this planet off him.

What does your veterinarian recommend?  I say your veterinarian because s/he is in a better position to know what works best for your dog in your area.

Around here, it's not just the skeeters, but the heartworm they carry.

14 minutes ago, Mama514 said:

Heartworm prevention drugs don't stop skeeters from biting. 

I know that.  My point is, mosquito repellent is not enough in this area.  In areas not plagued by heartworm, mosquito repellent may suffice (depends on the local environment, which a local vet should be familiar with).

11 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

It's not natural, but I'm having good results with the new kid on the block, Icaridin.  For years I've sworn by 100% DEET, but this stuff seems to work just as well (!), and you can't even tell you've got it on.  Other than, you're not flailing around.  It doesn't stink like DEET or melt stuff.

Yep.   :)

- Same thing as picaridin   (you say tomato...  ),  and is a synthetic version of piperine, from black pepper plants.

Permethrin, for clothing, is a synthetic version of chrysanthemum flowers. 

I believe the synthetics versions were created simply for the substances to remain on the skin/clothing, without constant reapplication. 

23 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

I looked through some older threads on this topic (2004-2007)--didn't see this particular recipe (though I could have missed it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4LEiLdeJg

Ingredients:

• Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Witch Hazel

I can attest that the stuff works for at least a couple hours (the claim is up to 6 hrs.) and doesn't smell all that bad.  We've been carrying a small (pump) spray bottle in our TOTT.  Also the stuff is so easy & inexpensive to make that multiple applications (if necessary) aren't a big deal.

NOTE: DOES NOT REQUIRE HAZMAT SYMBOLS/WARNINGS  :D

I tried this formula a couple of years ago, multiple times. At least for Minnesota mosquitoes the formula is a joke.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

No kidding.  I feel a little better about Uncle Sam only selling me uniforms that come pre-loaded with this stuff now.

Probably the new design (I was in when starch was a main ingredient  :D )  is why we can't find them cheap in an army/navy store like we used to either.  Or when we can, "life of the garment" has long expired. 

53 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

Did they smell like chrysanthemums?

They used to have a vague chemical odor.  I didn't know to compare them to the floral symbol of the Japanese imperial family, so I don't have a basis for direct comparison.  But they didn't smell like gardenias or anything flowery.

I only bought three of the new ones after I got promoted last spring, so they've each gotten washed quite a few times over the last year and change.  Don't smell anything now, other than me.  (No comments from the peanut gallery, please.)  :laughing:

21 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Probably the new design (I was in when starch was a main ingredient  :D )  is why we can't find them cheap in an army/navy store like we used to either.  Or when we can, "life of the garment" has long expired. 

You need to go shopping around one of the basic training posts (Lawton, OK; Columbus, GA; Columbia, SC; and...whatever itty bitty town that is outside Fort Lost in the Woods, MO).  When we kick out the new boots that don't make the cut for whatever reason, that's where their Army duds end up.  And -- to keep it on topic -- whilst caching in camo might get you some stares, the permethrin might keep the skeeters off.

I was in the Army when starch, boot polish, and Brasso were required items.  For the record, I don't miss any of 'em.  I haven't polished a boot or broken starch on a uniform since January 2005, just before I deployed -- I was issued desert boots and DCUs for my Southwest Asia year abroad experience, and the switch from BDU to ACU happened while I was downrange -- and yet somehow I still wake up with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.