Locations on product packings

We already have waymarks that we find on postcards, coins, stamps etc., but what about locations that are printed on product packing/packaging (not sure which term is right here)? I think about matchboxes:

scan0004.jpg

I also think about the Little coffee creamer packagings that are popular in Switzerland, Austria etc.:

Kaffeerahmdeckel_1-4.jpeg

More examples: http://zimmerreisen.at/die-ganze-welt-auf-einem-kaffeerahmdeckeli/

Then there are wine labels:

IMG_1120.jpg

The list goes on and on. I'm sure that this would be prevelant in most countries of the world and I think it would be interesting to see all the different packings from around the world. But what do others think? Is it not interesting enough for a new category? Or too commercial?

• Upvote 1

I have never seen a matchbox or coffee thing with a real world place on it, but there are lots of products in Texas with the Alamo on them;)

Would any product with a picture of the Alamo on the label be waymarkable?

Would a representation (not a detailed photo) of the Alamo be acceptable, like a graphic, if it was clear that the graphic was of the Alamo? 

What would the default waymark image be: the place or the label? If the default photo is the product label, isn't that advertising a product?

If the default photo is of the Alamo, how many different product waymarks could be placed there? 1? 1000?

Could I visit this waymark with ANY advertising product label with an Alamo, or would have to buy the exact product waymarked?

What if the waymarked product rare or not globally available, when there are other products with the Alamo in it that are more prevalent and more easily obtained? 

Where would the waymark coordinates be located, at the Alamo or at the place the product was purchased? 

Would I have to have personally visited the Alamo to be able to waymark a product with the Alamo on it? 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I am Swiss, so I am biased. My coutry has a long lasting tradition of putting all sorts of pictures, often photographs of real locations, on small packaging material like those coffee cream portions with the intention to turn them into collector's items.

The hayday was in the mid-1980s when you heard stories of real fights in cafeterias for rare pieces of garbage. Now these collections lost more than 90 percent of their peak values, but they are still produced. You will hardly find any cream portions or matchboxes WITHOUT a picture on it. There are hundreds of thousands. In every fridge and drawer all over the country.

So you will understand that I am not very positive about this idea.:huh:

7 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I wasn't trying to be funny. I don't do that. And I didn't dislike the idea necessarily at the time I posted. 

I had legit questions about this idea. 

Moving on -- 

Ok, in this case I will try to answer your questions:

Would any product with a picture of the Alamo on the label be waymarkable?

It's not the product we waymark, it's the location that you can see on the product (in your words: the Alamo). My suggestion would be to allow one waymark per location per company. For example: The Austrian company Manner uses the St. Stephans Cathedral in Vienna as kind of their logo. They sell many different products and you could find the St. Stephans Cathedral on various product, but only one waymark for Manner plus St. Stephans Cathedral should be allowed. But other suggestions are welcome.

Would a representation (not a detailed photo) of the Alamo be acceptable, like a graphic, if it was clear that the graphic was of the Alamo? 

It would be enough, if the location is clearly recognizable.

What would the default waymark image be: the place or the label? If the default photo is the product label, isn't that advertising a product?

Similar to the postcards and stamps it would be the label of the product. And yes, it's advertising, but just one waymark per company. And this is also what I meant when I was asking "too Commercial?".

If the default photo is of the Alamo, how many different product waymarks could be placed there? 1? 1000?

See above.

Could I visit this waymark with ANY advertising product label with an Alamo, or would have to buy the exact product waymarked?

You don't have to buy stamps, postcards, photos of the past, so you don't have to buy these products either.

What if the waymarked product rare or not globally available, when there are other products with the Alamo in it that are more prevalent and more easily obtained?

Again, we don't waymark products.

Where would the waymark coordinates be located, at the Alamo or at the place the product was purchased?

This is also a serious question? Here's my 'serious' answer: Just like with the stamps and postcards it is of course the place where you bought it and if you can't determine the exact coordinates of the shelf, please use coordinates as close to the entrance of the supermarket as possible. :-/

Would I have to have personally visited the Alamo to be able to waymark a product with the Alamo on it?

Yes.

Enough said.

Edited by PISA-caching
7 hours ago, fi67 said:

I am Swiss, so I am biased. My coutry has a long lasting tradition of putting all sorts of pictures, often photographs of real locations, on small packaging material like those coffee cream portions with the intention to turn them into collector's items.

The hayday was in the mid-1980s when you heard stories of real fights in cafeterias for rare pieces of garbage. Now these collections lost more than 90 percent of their peak values, but they are still produced. You will hardly find any cream portions or matchboxes WITHOUT a picture on it. There are hundreds of thousands. In every fridge and drawer all over the country.

So you will understand that I am not very positive about this idea.:huh:

There are tons of postcards out there that show the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty and so on, but I just found one postcard waymark for each of them. After some more search I found one location that has 3 postcard waymarks. That's no big deal. I don't think that people would overflow this category, especially if we limit it to one waymark per company per location.

6 hours ago, elyob said:

So to visit the waymark, I need to be on the site of the place in the image or graphic.  But to post/create a waymark, do I need my own photograph of the actual site? 

Yes, of course. You need one photo of the label and one or two photos of the actual location. For example:

gripsholm_mb.jpg.3b827895e018f260aa4ea303096a07f4.jpg 
and
 gripsholm.jpg.af4c8cbbf474ad58ef4445f7df4691fd.jpg

And for every visit you just need a photo of the location.