I'm throwing down the gauntlet...

The GeoGadgets Team

Okay you Southern Oregonians and Northeastern Californians...

There is a CACHE that will have it's first birthday celebrated without being found on May 10th.

Karen's Klamath Cache, though a 4/4 rated cache, would probably not be so tough if we worked together to get it found. Somebody got a boat?

My challenge is this: Are we hard-core geocachers going to let this cache celebrate it's difficulty? I would like to suggest that a group of us get together on a specified date and try and nab it, OR plan a get-together nearby somewhere and find it then... I suppose they are the same thing, but I think that the latter may attract more folk than the former.

I'm open for suggestions! Watch, now that I've brought it up, someone will find it solo and rub it in my nose...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Gee, I hate to stir up the pot here, but it sure would be a shame if some city-slicker like me or explosis headed down there to be the first finder on this one. *cough* *cough* (april21) *cough* *sniffle*

Hey! Do you think I would have brought it to your notice if I didn't want others to at least TRY?! Not bloody likely... April 21st, huh? If you are really planning something with Explosis, Oregone, let me know and we'll bring the video camera and film you guys falling in the water!

We learned of a backroad into that area yesterday - one that doesn't require traversing the dreaded 299 Highway (aka: The Highway of Doom). If you're serious about it, we'll have Rollin' Rebel's new truck and two quads by then and we'll meet you in Granties Panties and guide you in. That bottle of Sangria has to be vinegar by now, so I'll bring some Arrogant Bastard (no, not Steak!) Ale and a bottle of Jose... oh, and our tents, etc. Make a day of it?

Whaddaya Say?

RedwoodRed says: "Play Safe, Accidents Cause People"

Okay, April 21 is kinda booked.

But maybe the 27th?

It depends. What, exactly, does this cache entail? I have an inflatable kayak, but i don't think i could carry it with the paddle and my pack for over a mile or so without dying of exhaustion.

I like the idea of meeting in grants pass. The state of california put a warrant out for my arrest in 1998 for contempt of court (failure to appear on a speeding ticket i got in Anderson), so i always feel edgy when driving in the golden state. Maybe LaurenCat could drive: she has california plates.

I really hate the idea of a cache going a whole year without being found, so i'm seriously considering making the drive.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

One thing that might make users wary of such a remote cache is the cacher has one find and one hidden. But with better weather on it's way, I suppose I just might find a weekend where I can head down there and grab it fairly soon. Wonder if the river is slow enough there to allow a canoe to cross. Or I could just bring the scuba gear.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

One thing that might make users wary of such a remote cache is the cacher has one find and one hidden. But with better weather on it's way, I suppose I just might find a weekend where I can head down there and grab it fairly soon. Wonder if the river is slow enough there to allow a canoe to cross. Or I could just bring the scuba gear.

That's true and the main reason we haven't headed out there sooner... okay, that and we don't have a boat. And the mention of rattlesnakes... and the fact that we really don't think it would be a suitable cache to take the kids on.

I've thought of sending them email to see if they have checked up on it, if they live nearby and can offer any tips, etc. I'll do that now...

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

I've thought of sending them email to see if they have checked up on it, if they live nearby and can offer any tips, etc. I'll do that now...

I sent them an email two days ago with no reply. I'm thinking I won't bother with that one,unless I just happen to be heading down that road. I won't make a special trip.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I sent them an email two days ago with no reply. I'm thinking I won't bother with that one,unless I just happen to be heading down that road. I won't make a special trip.

When I checked my email this evening I had a reply to my email to the cache owners. They included detailed instructions on what roads to take, where to park and whether or not to go by boat on the river. They were very polite.

They live in the area of the cache and mentioned being very disappointed that no one had found or shown interest in it until just a few days ago (mentioning your email, LazyBoy).

If you'd like me to forward their email to you, or post its contents here, I can do that.

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

They didn't respond back to me so I'd love to get a copy of that e-mail. I'll go hit it myself in a couple of weeks.

I recall waiting just a couple of weeks after placing my first cache. I was thinking no one would EVER find it. I can't imagine waiting an entire year. I'll hide a cache in the area for them to find too, maybe it will kick start their activity.

Here's my e-mail...

lazyboy@249@cs.com

The Geogadgets Team and the Butt-Truck Gang went, saw, FOUND, and just plain KICKED booty. It has been year since Karens Klamath Cache was posted. How can geocachers let a cache go for so long? RedwoodRed laid it out for you folks but I guess we beat you to it. I will tell you this though it's is definatly a 4 on terrain. A 2 on difficulty in my opinion though. It is a hell of a hike (for a 300lbs fat guy like me) and was wondering if I needed Search and Rescue to get me out. 2 hrs in (my eight year old was haveing problems going down hill) and only an hour back out. Come on folks, if I can do it (let alone an eight year old) so can you....icon_smile.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

12 caches in 12 hours.

[This message was edited by Steak N Eggs on May 12, 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

The Geogadgets Team and the Butt-Truck Gang went, saw, FOUND, and just plain KICKED booty. It has been year since Karens Klamath Cache was posted. How can geocachers let a cache go for so long? RedwoodRed laid it out for you folks but I guess we beat you to it. I will tell you this though it's is definatly a 4 on terrain. A 2 on difficulty in my opinion though. It is a hell of a hike (for a 300lbs fat guy like me) and was wondering if I needed Search and Rescue to get me out. 2 hrs in (my eight year old was haveing problems going down hill) and only an hour back out. Come on folks, if I can do it (let alone an eight year old) so can you....;)

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

12 caches in 12 hours.

[This message was edited by Steak N Eggs on May 12, 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

I have to add this:

Though the hider, Rocketman, had never found or hidden a cache before, this was very well done. Please have a look at the photos we took. The only thing at issue would have been that the bag surrounding the cache was filled with water, because of the way it was tied. Water seeped into the top of bag and down through the knot.

Steak tied a loop in the top of the bag to try and keep it from happening again. Other than that it was a great cache in great shape for having been there un-found for 365 days!

I have this to say too... If none of you has ever met Steak, he is a big guy. 31 years old, overweight with a prominant belly (which I love, BTW!)... and he hiked down that bugger and back up and then drove to dinner in Yreka and on to Medford. IMHO, He Is The MAN!

So you folks that are slim, trim and in good shape? There is no excuse ... get out there and nab that cache!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

We have a CACHE hidden between Grants Pass and Cave Junction. You don't have to drive to C.J. to get to it, and by now the roads should be nice and clear.

It has only been found once, and that person had to be begged to go by the owner of the TB for whom the cache is named. The Bug hasn't moved since, so what does that tell you? Nothing really...

I'm giving this cache 45 days to get some activity and if nothing happens I'll archive it and distribute it's remains... How about it Mailleman? Lazyboy? Lone Ranger & Tonto? Peanuthead? All of you other hard-core geocachers need to get out of your protective valley. We've got a multi-cache ready to release designed to get Valley cachers to come to the coast for a little hunt-and-seek fun.

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website