Mary Hyde - Week 4

NanCycle

How I understand it:

you get points for the cache itself (so either 5 or 7 if it's >=10FP)

in addition you get a sum of D and T multiplied by 2 (those have fractions so they had to do that in order not to have coins and cents).

Based on my today's find:

A cache with FP<10 = 5

D rating 4 = 8

T rating 1,5 = 3

Together = 16 coins

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Yeah, it seems more complex figuring out the requirements than to actually fulfill them.

Just keep finding caches and attending events.... you'll get the souvenir.  I haven't really had to make any special effort to earn any of them to date, and this week's doens't look to be any different.  I plan to attend our local regular monthly event tomorrow evening, and find a couple of caches...DONE. 

12 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Just keep finding caches and attending events.... you'll get the souvenir.  I haven't really had to make any special effort to earn any of them to date, and this week's doens't look to be any different.  I plan to attend our local regular monthly event tomorrow evening, and find a couple of caches...DONE. 

Yeah. I don't have much trouble fulfilling the caching requirements, but getting my logs submitted on time is the bigger challenge for me. I have a backlog of field notes and so I have to make a point to submit enough of them each week to get the souvenirs.

I love this Mary Hyde challenge!

Is this not a way for the hole game. Only a Suggestion. A Cacher can create a challenge (like Mary Hyde) and invite some friends. They Play for a week or two this challenge by her own. They can create their own condition e.g. find mysteries 10 points other only 1 or other

That would be cool...

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, crow19 said:

Is this not a way for the hole game. Only a Suggestion. A Cacher can create a challenge (like Mary Hyde) and invite some friends. They Play for a week or two this challenge by her own. They can create their own condition e.g. find mysteries 10 points other only 1 or other

That would be cool...

That does seem like an interesting idea, but I wouldn't expect Groundspeak to do the programming to calculate user-defined scoring.

12 hours ago, crow19 said:

I love this Mary Hyde challenge!

That would be cool...

You are basically describing challenge caches (which I love!)

On 8/8/2017 at 3:13 AM, noncentric said:

Yeah. I don't have much trouble fulfilling the caching requirements, but getting my logs submitted on time is the bigger challenge for me. I have a backlog of field notes and so I have to make a point to submit enough of them each week to get the souvenirs.

Dispense from the forums just long enough to log. Problem solved. You're not missing anything, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Does it say anywhere what the end game is here?  Are we meant to do something with all the pieces once we get them?  I can't see anything about it in the FAQ...or maybe they just haven't revealed it yet?

The most recent one has a nice red X in the Virgin Islands.  So I'm going to go looking for treasure.

(I doubt I'll find any, but we're going to skip around the Virgin Islands anyway, so I'll let you know if I find anything.)

2 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

Does it say anywhere what the end game is here?  Are we meant to do something with all the pieces once we get them?  I can't see anything about it in the FAQ...or maybe they just haven't revealed it yet?

From the Mary Hyde FAQs:

Attend a geocaching event on July 15 or 16, to build your crew* and earn the ‘Ahoy Me Hearties’ souvenir. For the following 4 weeks (July 17-August 13) earn all 4 souvenirs to complete the treasure map and receive the treasure chest souvenir.

So there are a total of 6 souvenirs. One for attending an event on week 1, the four where you collect the coins, and a final bonus one for getting the aforementioned four.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LightHouseSeekers said:

2 caches found on 8/9 equaled 22 coins.

Really not sure how the calculations  were preformed, seemed like should have only been 21

I come up with the same total as you.
GC79N4Y (1.5/1.5): 5 for finding a cache + 2 x (1.5 + 1.5) = 11
GC78673 (1.5/1): 5 for finding a cache + 2 x (1.5 + 1) = 10
11 + 10 = 21 ≠ 22

If we add in your event attendance from yesterday (15), you should currently have a total of 36. If you click on your name in the Friend League list, what coin totals does it show for each of the individual caches? Do they match what we'd expect and the total is wrong, or is one (or more) of them different?

19 minutes ago, TreasureTaz said:

Aaaaaa  a couple of dnf this week as im strougljng to fit caching in around work and family comitments. Went out tonight to get two more to complete thos weeks challenge but its not registering the coins for them. Is there a cut off time im not aware of? Have i missed it? 

I logged a bunch this evening and got the coins (at least some, I didn't count them up). But the site has been having problems all night so could be related to that. I would certainly check that your find logs have been registered on the site.

1 hour ago, TreasureTaz said:

Aaaaaa  a couple of dnf this week as im strougljng to fit caching in around work and family comitments. Went out tonight to get two more to complete thos weeks challenge but its not registering the coins for them. Is there a cut off time im not aware of? Have i missed it? 

Same here.  Just logged 21 caches - no gold for any of them yet.   The web site was running very slowly as I was logging them, so hopefully thats the issue and the points will appear soon.

11 hours ago, TreasureTaz said:

9 hours ago, WadeH said:

Same here.  Just logged 21 caches - no gold for any of them yet.   The web site was running very slowly as I was logging them, so hopefully thats the issue and the points will appear soon.

FYI - The cutoff time for logging caches for the week is the following Wednesday at noon (UTC).  From the FAQ  HERE.

Earned souvenirs will be awarded later that day.

Is it just me or does this Mary Hyde thing seem pretty ridiculous? I haven't figured out why anyone would need a crew to meet the challenges, and the weekly challenges seem pretty random.  Is there any purpose behind the challenge requirements? Does anybody have any insight into what this whole thing was about?  

I don't have insight, just opinions based on what I've seen.

Clearly one of the things Groundspeak wanted to advertise/encourage was the Friends list.   And that was successful; with the build-up I saw lots of people adding friends.   Now it turned out that the challenges were all so "easy" that an active cacher could do them without friends; but still, if the goal was to raise awareness of Friends list, it was successful.

Individual weeks had different twists to raise awareness of other features, mainly for basic members.    E.g. giving additional coins for multis or higher D/T rating, and temporarily removing restrictions on those for basic members.  

I Pretty much agree with redsox_mark. Each year the August Souvenirs thing is a bit of a marketing & promotional exercise. It's not  intended to be challenging, and I don't think it's ever been promoted as such.

As for it being too easy to get a souvenir this year, well in previous years you were awarded souvenirs for just single finds:

• Back in 2013 you got 1 souvenir for 1 cache on every day in August, I got more souvenirs that month than any other year and I was just doing my regular caching and not going for the souvenirs.
  •  2014, 2015, 2016 you got 1 souvenir for finding 1 cache of a particular type/attribute.

The Mary Hyde thing has been a bit of fun, it's not supposed to be a difficult challenge; and I think the "randomness" of it, not knowing what comes next and the changing points values just made it a bit more interesting.

And the souvenirs look good too. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, mvhayes1982 said:

Just checked my "Friends League" page -- It appears that the week 4 scoring system is going to continue in perpetuity. So each week you can compare your "score" with your friends. 

I imagine we'll see some more tweaks on it, and maybe even some souvenirs or profile badges based on friend leagues.

I accepted some friend requests this summer from folks in the area I didn't really know, as I knew they were just trying to shore up their "friend league" for this Mary Hyde whatnot.  I'll be cleaning house a bit now that souvenirs are no longer riding on it.

As for my participation/interest in "friend league" activity, I expect it'll wane over time unless Groundspeak keeps tinkering with it.  Personally I'd like to see some more time and labor invested in updating more of the site, like giving more functionality to pocket queries.  But I guess we'll see how it goes.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, bd's said:

I haven't figured out why anyone would need a crew to meet the challenges

This is a global game, and there are plenty of places where caches are very sparse. I'm sure that a fair number of cachers didn't have enough unfound caches near them to score enough points and wouldn't have gotten the week1 or week3 souvenirs without having cachers in their 'friend league'.  I think it's great to give cachers is such area a chance to get a souvenir, otherwise they'd be completely out-of-luck.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, bd's said:

Is it just me or does this Mary Hyde thing seem pretty ridiculous? I haven't figured out why anyone would need a crew to meet the challenges, and the weekly challenges seem pretty random.  Is there any purpose behind the challenge requirements? Does anybody have any insight into what this whole thing was about?  

They've been promoting certain types of caches, and opening them up to non-premium members as well as opening up all terrain levels. Getting a "crew" together is promoting caching with your friends. 

It's another summer promotion put on by Groundspeak. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate. 

8 hours ago, bd's said:

IMO the whole thing was about this:

Don’t forget to visit Shop Geocaching for the lost treasure of Mary Hyde collection!

8 hours ago, bd's said:

I haven't figured out why anyone would need a crew to meet the challenges, and the weekly challenges seem pretty random.

I don't think the promotion was aimed at active geocachers who would routinely find enough caches every week to earn the Souvenir-of-the-week solo, with no help from their crew. I think the promotion was aimed at less active (perhaps even dormant) geocachers, trying to encourage them to do a little more than they would have otherwise. And maybe trying to encourage them to try a multi-cache or a cache with higher difficulty/terrain ratings, when they might have done mainly easy traditionals before.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, noncentric said:

This is a global game, and there are plenty of places where caches are very sparse. I'm sure that a fair number of cachers didn't have enough unfound caches near them to score enough points and wouldn't have gotten the week1 or week3 souvenirs without having cachers in their 'friend league'.  I think it's great to give cachers is such area a chance to get a souvenir, otherwise they'd be completely out-of-luck.

I agree with this.  I come from a tiny town in a rural state.  I'm not retired like a lot of cachers I know, and, until some recent new hides in my area, had found every cache I can reach within an hour to two hours' drive.  If I didn't have a friend league, I wouldn't have gotten the week one souvenir. When I want caches, I have to get in my car and drive quite awhile to reach one, so I plan vacation days and get several in my caching destinations. My retiree friends can just take off in the middle of the week and reach caches in other parts of the state. I envy them! I was lucky in that, during week 3, I had a previously scheduled caching trip.

Edited by cowgirl68
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, SeattleWayne said:
9 hours ago, bd's said:

They've been promoting certain types of caches, and opening them up to non-premium members as well as opening up all terrain levels. Getting a "crew" together is promoting caching with your friends. 

It's another summer promotion put on by Groundspeak. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate. 

I chose not to participate, but got one of the souvenirs anyway simply because I found a couple of caches during week 3.  

10 minutes ago, redsox_mark said:

The friend league automatically shows the current week (so it now shows week of 14 August).  You can change from the menu at the top to show week 4, or any of the earlier weeks.   

I see, it is carrying on to week 5 even though it says it finishes on the 13th

Friend League as it may be... well could be a nuisance or turn into something better.

My main concern now is - I qualified during the whole month - where are my final 4th map piece and the possible bonus? A lot of people in my community have received them, but my inbox is dreadfully empty. Do I have to embarke on a pirate vessel to Seattle to retreive them

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

The week 4 map piece and the final treasure souvenirs have started showing up.

I didn't think I had the treasure chest souvenir at first, had to expand my search.  For some reason, it's the only souvenir of the six from this series that starts with "T" instead of "M."  But it's there, just off on its own, tucked in with the Summer 2014 (and one Summer 2016) souvenirs.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I didn't think I had the treasure chest souvenir at first, had to expand my search.  For some reason, it's the only souvenir of the six from this series that starts with "T" instead of "M."  But it's there, just off on its own, tucked in with the Summer 2014 (and one Summer 2016) souvenirs.

Arrr!  Just when I thought they were doing this year's souvenirs so they would all be grouped together.  

• Upvote 1

I was really really hoping that there would be something to 'solve' with the 4 map pieces... why the N/W coords? Why are the coords a region off the coast Africa while Central America is shown on the map? Seems so odd, felt like there would be some mystery to uncover... but, we just got the meta/completion souvenir? Hmph. Lost opportunity, imo.

• Upvote 1