Showing Lists on a Map

GeoMonkeyTiger!

I apologize if this is a duplicate suggestion (I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of it), but I was wondering if you were thinking of adding functionality to "Map" a list of caches.  I know this exists in the app, but I don't see an easy way to do it on the website?

I know you can create a pocket query from a list, then map the pocket query, but that's a bit cumbersome.  It would be super useful if we can map lists on the website the same way we can on the map.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

As an aside, I would like to say that I've been really happy with some of the updates you've been making on both the website and the app lately.  The "corrected coordinates" icon on the map online is one of the most awesome things ever! (Both showing it where it should be AND having a slightly different icon for it).  The drafts functionality is awesome as well!

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, GeoMonkeyTiger! said:

I know you can create a pocket query from a list, then map the pocket query, but that's a bit cumbersome.  It would be super useful if we can map lists on the website the same way we can on the map.

I am a fan of seeing lists on the map (as pocket queries).  Yes, it is doable on the site with this extra step, but I agree, it would make sense to cut out the middle man.

Yes - not sure why any "list" displayed on the site can't be mapped. I leverage http://www.project-gc.com to map bookmark lists which must be shared/public, even if they are your own. I also use Cachly (3rd party paid iPhone app) which can quickly load a geocaching bookmark list and display them on the map. No reason we need to leverage 3rd parties or the extra steps of creating a PQ. 

On 10/23/2017 at 1:28 AM, HHL said:

10 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

As a Mac user… see @HHL's post about hacking the URL — it's very cool.  Basically:

1. Find the BM code for your list
  2. Edit that onto the search URL
  3. Your bookmark list will appear as search results
  4. Click the usual Map icon
  5. Profit

If you're a bit techie you can install GSAK under something like VirtualBox.

We do have plans to make that method of mapping a list on geocaching.com more obvious and easy. It's not an accident that the BM code for a list became a valid search query parameter. ;) 

• Upvote 1
On 10/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, barefootguru said:

As a Mac user… see @HHL's post about hacking the URL — it's very cool.  Basically:

1. Find the BM code for your list
  2. Edit that onto the search URL
  3. Your bookmark list will appear as search results
  4. Click the usual Map icon
  5. Profit

If you're a bit techie you can install GSAK under something like VirtualBox.

I am a Mac user and have used VirtualBox for several projects.  Virtual Box is a virtual machine manager that lets you run windows applications such as GSAK on a mac because it can run an entire operating system within the VB application.  If you're going to be legal, that means you should have a license to run that copy of Windows on your machine as well as the license for GSAK.   There are two other ways to get GSAK running on a mac.  You can also install dual boot software on the Mac which would allow you to switch between running Windows or the MacOS by rebooting the computer.  It also has the licensing issue and also means that you have to reboot the computer just to run GSAK.  The third option (which I have tried) is to run a Windows application emulator called Wine.  Wine (and it's companion project Wine Bottler) allows you run a windows application on the Mac by rewriting the system calls in the app to MacOS equivalents.  I found the installation to be buggy and once I got GSAK to run I had to reboot my computer to kill it.  

Hacking the URL may be a good solution but it's just that;  a hack.  As this is the Website bug reports and feature requests forum,  hacking the URL or getting a 3rd party tool to provide the requested functionality (showing lists on a Map) are just work arounds which may accomplish the task that don't involve changes to the website.  If this sort of functionality is deemed to be useful enough, I would hope that GS would consider it a feature worthy of adding to the website.

• Upvote 1
On 31/10/2017 at 0:06 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I am a Mac user and have used VirtualBox for several projects.  Virtual Box is a virtual machine manager that lets you run windows applications such as GSAK on a mac because it can run an entire operating system within the VB application.  If you're going to be legal, that means you should have a license to run that copy of Windows on your machine as well as the license for GSAK.   There are two other ways to get GSAK running on a mac.  You can also install dual boot software on the Mac which would allow you to switch between running Windows or the MacOS by rebooting the computer.  It also has the licensing issue and also means that you have to reboot the computer just to run GSAK.  The third option (which I have tried) is to run a Windows application emulator called Wine.  Wine (and it's companion project Wine Bottler) allows you run a windows application on the Mac by rewriting the system calls in the app to MacOS equivalents.  I found the installation to be buggy and once I got GSAK to run I had to reboot my computer to kill it.  

Hacking the URL may be a good solution but it's just that;  a hack.  As this is the Website bug reports and feature requests forum,  hacking the URL or getting a 3rd party tool to provide the requested functionality (showing lists on a Map) are just work arounds which may accomplish the task that don't involve changes to the website.  If this sort of functionality is deemed to be useful enough, I would hope that GS would consider it a feature worthy of adding to the website.

I don’t understand the rant:

@HHL gave a workaround which can map a bookmark list on the website right now

@Ben H said GS have a proper solution on their radar

I corrected @Diamond Head who thought he couldn’t use this workaround

Nobody has said the current system is perfect or couldn’t be improved, we’re just trying to help.

• Upvote 2
On 10/27/2017 at 1:30 PM, Ben H said:

We do have plans to make that method of mapping a list on geocaching.com more obvious and easy. It's not an accident that the BM code for a list became a valid search query parameter. ;) 

I will say, the "replace" option did work. I appreciate the responses and am glad to hear that it's on the list of future enhancements!

On 10/23/2017 at 4:28 AM, HHL said:

Thank you!  This works!

9 hours ago, barefootguru said:

I don’t understand the rant:

@HHL gave a workaround which can map a bookmark list on the website right now

@Ben H said GS have a proper solution on their radar

I corrected @Diamond Head who thought he couldn’t use this workaround

Nobody has said the current system is perfect or couldn’t be improved, we’re just trying to help.

It wasn't a rant.  It was just an explanation of the options available to get GSAK running on a mac.  GSAK is a great tool but it's not free and it's still basically only a windows only application.  That's why I support changes to the web site and/or GS apps to implement features that geocachers find useful.  If the promotion of 3rd party solutions or hacks/workarounds temporarily helps a few people, fine, it may also be just the excuse GS needs for not implementing someone that we all could use.

• Upvote 1