etiquette question

LizzyRN

Hello,

I'd like to know what is the correct way to deal with arriving at GZ while another cacher is still searching. This is a cache I was making my second attempt at. I drove by, about to pull into the parking area, and saw another person searching with his GPS out. Do I begin my search? Let him know that I am also a cacher? Pass it by for another time?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, LizzyRN said:

Hello,

I'd like to know what is the correct way to deal with arriving at GZ while another cacher is still searching. This is a cache I was making my second attempt at. I drove by, about to pull into the parking area, and saw another person searching with his GPS out. Do I begin my search? Let him know that I am also a cacher? Pass it by for another time?

Thanks!

Shoot, we don't need no steenkin' Emily Post.  ;)

Seriously, though... it's completely up to you. Wait until they leave if you prefer. If the person looks approachable and you feel like socializing, say something like "muggle alert!" and show your GPS. If they want company, fine, if not, give them their space. You could also demand in a stern voice to see their "Geographics Hunting License". then grin widely when they look alarmed. B)

If you're feeling mischievous, you could sidle up to them and ask timorously whether they're the wildlife officer sent to catch the large anaconda. :P

Just have fun.

I like to cache alone. It's my "me" time. There has been a time or two that someone has shown up at GZ and we looked for the cache together and while I'm not the most social of creatures, it was enjoyable enough. But, if I were the one pulling up to GZ and saw someone else there, I'd just leave. If someone drops in on me, I have no issues with it but I'd rather not interrupt anyone else and preserve my me time as well. 

But, that's me. Events are very popular because most cachers are pretty sociable people. If you're a sociable person, go ahead and introduce yourself. There's a pretty good chance the other person will be glad for the company. 

4 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

Two words: Golden Rule

How would you like to be treated/dealt with were your situations reversed?

Thanks, the Golden Rule is always good. Generally, I would like someone else to join me in the search. Of course, each situation is unique.

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Isn't this the same question you asked in the (though OT there...)  geocoins forum?

Yes it is. I accidentally posted it in the wrong area. 

Edited by LizzyRN

I've only ran into one other cacher while out looking for them. We both knew what we were there for so we just approached each other, and introduced ourselves. 

I don't think there are any unwritten rules about what to do so I say just go look for the cache with whoever is already looking. It helps to have an extra set of eyes. If you don't feel like socializing that day, then wait them out. Or leave. 

Similar to Crow-T-Robot I guess, prefer to be alone.  No one bothers me much anymore either, as I only answer by phone call:)

When I used to do caches where I could see someone from parking, I'd usually just stop over, say hi, and search too.

Especially true when we first started...

That FTF side-game had us in side-bets with other locals, betting I'd find a cache before one who whined to anyone who'd listen at events, that we ruined his ftf streak and it bothered him.  :D

Most times you can figure whether you're a bother or they appreciate the help,  just in simple conversation, or even by their posture.

Its up to you.  I am not a very sociable person but I do like meeting cachers.  I would welcome you to join in!  It can be fun to walk up to  a cacher who is looking for a cache and act like you have no idea what caching is and are wondering what they are doing. It is fun to see the look on there face for a second before introducing yourself.

I remember once my daughter and I got FTF on a puzzle and after posting the find the CO called us and said another cacher we had never met but knew of should be there shortly.  We decided to hang out in our car for a couple of min and sure enough he came walking by.  I opened the door of my car and asked if he was looking for something.  He was so shocked he didn't know what to say because he was still walking to GZ and wasn't even looking for anything.  It was cool to meet him and are now good friends and have cached together many times.

The RR Team recently went after a cache in lower Manhattan, in City Hall Park.

After a while we noticed a woman searching a nearby fence. We made some rude joking geo-comments within earshot by way of an introduction, and all laughed at how silly we looked, doing what we were doing. We spent some time talking. She was from the mid-west (Indiana, I think), in town for the weekend.

We all kept looking, but not really together. Small search radius, and eventually I spotted it, quite well camoed.

I went up to her and said that I had found the cache, and asked her if she wanted me to NOT touch it until she spotted it.

With a big smile, she thanked me and said she appreciated me asking, and that she would go take a walk around the park and come back in a little while.

That's the key, I think: if you're near another cacher, it's common courtesy to make it clear whether or not you want to see them make the find, and find out their preference.

2 hours ago, jellis said:

Most cachers in our area I know and the ones I don't know are pretty friendly and sometimes want help. It's rare you find one that kinda tells you to bug off.

I cache pretty much in the same area as jellis, and I guess I'm luckier because I've never had someone tell me to bug off. I'm kinda taken aback by the question, since if I identified another cacher, I wouldn't even think twice about saying hello and joining in. Oh, sure, I'd probably say something like "Mind if I join you?" but I'd never in my life expect them to say no.

I don't run into cachers that often (though ran into Jellis there at an FTF once); it's usually a brief social moment.  The only time I think I ever annoyed someone was when on a trail this fellow was caching on his bike and I was hiking.  I ran into him on the first once, we worked together on a find.  Then he biked ahead.  By the time he had gotten to the cache and found it and was about to put it away, I caught up.  Then that happened again.  Then it happened again.  On the fourth time, I said, "this is like a concierge cache service, I'll hold back if you'd like." He grumped and peddled ahead a couple of caches.