Why the poor reviews?

I am curious to know why all the reviews in the iTunes store for the Geocaching app are so low.  The only thing I can think of is that the business model changed where at one time you paid $9.99 for the app and it gave you access to all features and somewhere along the way some features got taken away unless you are a premium member.  When I first paid for the app back in 2009 I paid the $9.99 and have been a premium member ever since.  So I never saw a change in what the app provided me and I think it is great.  Does anyone have more insight into why everyone is giving low ratings?

24 minutes ago, GeoSmorgie said:

I am curious to know why all the reviews in the iTunes store for the Geocaching app are so low.  The only thing I can think of is that the business model changed where at one time you paid $9.99 for the app and it gave you access to all features and somewhere along the way some features got taken away unless you are a premium member.  When I first paid for the app back in 2009 I paid the $9.99 and have been a premium member ever since.  So I never saw a change in what the app provided me and I think it is great.  Does anyone have more insight into why everyone is giving low ratings?

I believe that many who badmouth the app today were those who were basic members, who,  because they paid ten bucks for an app, got pretty-much everything (but pmo hides) for only  ten-bucks-and-done.   Forever...or as long as the app was functional.

I didn't think that was very fair to premium members.  That paid app is now changed to this new app with functions by membership.

Like the (now gone) Windows phone app, you must remain a pm to keep the full functions on this new Geocaching app. 

Curious what you mean by you never saw change though, as this new app isn't the same.   :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I believe that many who badmouth the app today were those who were basic members, who,  because they paid ten bucks for an app, got pretty-much everything (but pmo hides) for only  ten-bucks-and-done.   Forever...or as long as the app was functional.

I didn't think that was very fair to premium members.  That paid app is now changed to this new app with functions by membership.

Like the (now gone) Windows phone app, you must remain a pm to keep the full functions on this new Geocaching app. 

Curious what you mean by you never saw change though, as this new app isn't the same.   :)

I used to be a premium member and never thought of it as being unfair. Basic members have always been able to pull up the geocaching website and get all but pmo caches. The difference now is that most people using the app probably never go to the website and therefore don't know they can see higher difficulty caches.

Haven't left a review for the app but if i did, it wouldn't be a real good one. I think the company's business strategy of trying to get people to pay for something i see as basic functionality, is wrong. Don't we cache owners want people to find our caches? Unfortunately, at least in our area, caches over the 1.5 mark rarely get found. I believe the app limitation is the main reason for this..

41 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

I used to be a premium member and never thought of it as being unfair. Basic members have always been able to pull up the geocaching website and get all but pmo caches. The difference now is that most people using the app probably never go to the website and therefore don't know they can see higher difficulty caches.

Haven't left a review for the app but if i did, it wouldn't be a real good one. I think the company's business strategy of trying to get people to pay for something i see as basic functionality, is wrong. Don't we cache owners want people to find our caches? Unfortunately, at least in our area, caches over the 1.5 mark rarely get found. I believe the app limitation is the main reason for this..

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

What I meant was since I was always a premium member while owning the app, once they moved to making the app a premium feature, I did not have anything taken away from me.  So what you say makes sense that the negative feedback is coming from basic members who feel they paid for the app, got all the functionality for years and now it doesn't work for them unless they upgrade to premium.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

. Don't we cache owners want people to find our caches? Unfortunately, at least in our area, caches over the 1.5 mark rarely get found. I believe the app limitation is the main reason for this..

The last couple caches over 2 terrain here are still only visited by the same handful of people. 

Those over 3 even less.  Been like that for years...

I think it's people in general today, wanting everything handed to/made easier for them. 

I don't believe an app  would be the reason people don't leave the roadsides anymore...  :)

• Upvote 1

We have been premium members for several years and really enjoyed geocaching. This new app has removed the enjoyment factor for us. We enjoyed driving to caches with one of us navigating using the old app and this is impossible with the new app because the cache disappears off screen when you zoom in or out and you are unable to see your position whilst on the move which stops us following a road or route on screen. We find it extremely difficult to find the caches with this app and it has become hard work which has now forced us to look for alternative outdoor pleasure and forced us to cancel our membership. Such a shame as the old app was so user friendly which cannot be said of the new one

42 minutes ago, Lagunamoona said:

We have been premium members for several years and really enjoyed geocaching. This new app has removed the enjoyment factor for us. We enjoyed driving to caches with one of us navigating using the old app and this is impossible with the new app because the cache disappears off screen when you zoom in or out and you are unable to see your position whilst on the move which stops us following a road or route on screen. We find it extremely difficult to find the caches with this app and it has become hard work which has now forced us to look for alternative outdoor pleasure and forced us to cancel our membership. Such a shame as the old app was so user friendly which cannot be said of the new one

My experience has been totally the opposite.  The new app makes it much easier to navigate to the next cache using Google map turn-by-turn directions - something that wasn't available in the retired "Classic" app.  I agree it would be no fun to zoom in and out and navigate the driving route to the cache manually - it would also be dangerous, as I typically go geocaching alone. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

My experience has been totally the opposite.  The new app makes it much easier to navigate to the next cache using Google map turn-by-turn directions - something that wasn't available in the retired "Classic" app.  I agree it would be no fun to zoom in and out and navigate the driving route to the cache manually - it would also be dangerous, as I typically go geocaching alone. 

I agree. 

Can't remember how many threads were started about all the problems with the (now) "old" apps.

Think it's really odd now to find that those same apps magically became  perfect just before being retired.    :)

• Upvote 1

I'm a long time cacher that stopped for about 10 years and then got back into it. When I started back in 2003, you needed a GPS. When I started back up again I used the new geocaching iPhone app so I can't compare the new vs classic first hand. I pretty quickly switched away from the new official app as it couldn't do the following that a 3rd party app provided items such as:

1) showing solved/corrected coordinate caches in their proper location

2) routing/directions using Waze

3) offline support

For those that did switch from the classic app, Groundspeak cut off the old app for those users before the new app was on par for features and functions. For those users, they were severely impacted and I would expect poor reviews. Maybe today, if I didn't know better, and I got started with the new app, I'd be fine and give it a good rating. Based on what I experienced and know, it wouldn't get high marks. 

On 8/8/2017 at 4:03 AM, Team DEMP said:

I pretty quickly switched away from the new official app as it couldn't do the following that a 3rd party app provided items such as:

1) showing solved/corrected coordinate caches in their proper location

2) routing/directions using Waze

3) offline support

Have you used the newest version of the official app, because the things you mentioned are supported now. Although I don't know about #2. I know the Android app can do routing via Google Maps, which incorporates Waze data, and I don't have the Waze app installed on my phone. I don't know if I would get an option to use a Waze app if I had it installed.

1 minute ago, noncentric said:

Have you used the newest version of the official app, because the things you mentioned are supported now. Although I don't know about #2. I know the Android app can do routing via Google Maps, which incorporates Waze data, and I don't have the Waze app installed on my phone. I don't know if I would get an option to use a Waze app if I had it installed.

Why would I switch back?  I have an app that has elegantly provided those features since the start and much more along with excellent developer support .  

Maybe more folks can get by with the official app vs a year ago but I would see no reason anyone who switched to a more feature rich app would want to switch back. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'm using the same app as Team DEMP and love it.  When it was announced the Classic app was being retired I switched to a 3rd party one immediately.  The one I chose had a very low learning curve as it was similar to the classic one. The 'new' official app, at time of its release had minimal functionality and thus, a lot of complaints.  It couldn't do half the things of the $9.99 app.  I will admit it has greatly improved since then but the one I use is still better. :) 

With the addition of updated coords, cache notes, additional maps and offline functionality to the official app I would now recommend it and I do use it occasionally.  Versus a GPS it wins hands down, IMO.

Why the poor reviews? Well, Groundspeak purposely neutered an app we had already paid for and then asked us to buy it again. Then adding insult to injury, they made it a recurring subscription payment. Geocaching was all about Community and creating something together; people placing and finding caches. Groundspeak provided a tool to facilitate that, but then used that tool to wrest control away from the participants who help build it by requiring us to pay subscription fees. New users also had to pay upfront just to try and see what geocaching was all about since the now neutered app is an annoying bag of “you need to pay to do this.” I never bought a premium membership since I only cached sporadically. But the times I went, I enjoyed it; so much so that I spent quite a bit of money on a bag of travel bug trackables that I gave to those I introduced to the activity. How do I do that now when this has become a subscription-based activity? Previously, a one-time $10 app purchase was an easy sell... now with a recurring subscription it’s a joke. Groundspeak should just go back to the old app with no subscription and add an in-app swag store. They would make a lot more money selling travel bugs and containers to new, happy members than trying to get everyone to pay subscription fees. Basically, Groundspeak killed the goodwill a majority of its user-base felt by doing several things all at once that showed a lack of appreciation or understanding of most of its users... and from the lack of recent App Store activity, it looks like it has successfully stopped the growth of geocaching. 

On 8/6/2017 at 10:27 PM, cerberus1 said:

The last couple caches over 2 terrain here are still only visited by the same handful of people. 

Those over 3 even less.  Been like that for years...

I think it's people in general today, wanting everything handed to/made easier for them. 

I don't believe an app  would be the reason people don't leave the roadsides anymore...  :)

Which is the main culprit? The app limitation is a factor but yes, i think i'll have to agree with you. Many people coming along these days want it easy, want it now, and don't think they should have to really work for it.

Edited, deleted the rest of my reply because it was sort of off topic.

Edited by Mudfrog
2 hours ago, P.A.X. said:

Why the poor reviews? Well, Groundspeak purposely neutered an app we had already paid for and then asked us to buy it again. Then adding insult to injury, they made it a recurring subscription payment. Geocaching was all about Community and creating something together; people placing and finding caches. Groundspeak provided a tool to facilitate that, but then used that tool to wrest control away from the participants who help build it by requiring us to pay subscription fees. New users also had to pay upfront just to try and see what geocaching was all about since the now neutered app is an annoying bag of “you need to pay to do this.” I never bought a premium membership since I only cached sporadically. But the times I went, I enjoyed it; so much so that I spent quite a bit of money on a bag of travel bug trackables that I gave to those I introduced to the activity. How do I do that now when this has become a subscription-based activity? Previously, a one-time $10 app purchase was an easy sell... now with a recurring subscription it’s a joke. Groundspeak should just go back to the old app with no subscription and add an in-app swag store. They would make a lot more money selling travel bugs and containers to new, happy members than trying to get everyone to pay subscription fees. Basically, Groundspeak killed the goodwill a majority of its user-base felt by doing several things all at once that showed a lack of appreciation or understanding of most of its users... and from the lack of recent App Store activity, it looks like it has successfully stopped the growth of geocaching. 

Okay, you never became a premium member, but bought some trackables and paid ten bucks for an app once...

- Somehow you think that by paying ten bucks once since 2009 for an app, that  even just the basic costs  (salaries, electric, property taxes, etc.) for the site  should be covered by that once-and-done app many years later?  That had to be a losing business direction for the site...

For the D/T average and amount of finds, you can find another free app that does the same (some say better) than that ten dollar app.  Never gonna pay anything in, expect nag screens if using the "official" one... 

You can also have no limit to the D/T  of caches (other than pmo) free, by simply picking up a handheld GPSr, and entering coordinates from the site,

• Upvote 2
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, The Leprechauns said:

... I started in 2002, the first year in which premium memberships were offered.  At that time, Geocaching HQ promised that the basic game will always remain free.  From the perspective of an old timer, they've kept that promise:  today someone can still join as a basic member, buy a handheld GPS receiver, download basic waypoints as LOC files, and go find and log geocaches all day long.  There were no smartphone apps back then, so as an old timer I view all the later developments as "icing on the cake."

From reading forum threads like this one, I've come to learn that people who joined geocaching during the period when a single $10 investment provided access to most geocaches in the retired "Geocaching Classic" app do not see it the same way.  Measured from their start date, they view the changes in the official app model as a step backwards.  Measured from 2002 functionality, there's been nothing but improvements, with no change in the price of a premium membership.  I cannot think of any other product I use that hasn't had a price increase since 2002.

I'm quoting something I wrote in another thread last month, because it applies equally here.  Change is a matter of perspective.

Edited by The Leprechauns
  • Upvote 5
10 hours ago, P.A.X. said:

Why the poor reviews? Well, Groundspeak purposely neutered an app we had already paid for and then asked us to buy it again.

There is no need to "buy it again". The new official app is FREE.  That one-time payment of $10 doesn't do much to support the game, especially for those that bought the $10 app 5+ years ago and contributed a couple bucks to the cost of developing/maintaining the app.

Then adding insult to injury, they made it a recurring subscription payment.

The recurring subscription is for a Premium Membership, which provides several benefits to a geocaching.com member. One of those benefits is FULL functionality in the official app. Without being a Premium Member, the app is still usable, it just has limitations. Without being a Premium Member, a cacher can still open the website on their phone and see all non-PMO caches.

Geocaching was all about Community and creating something together; people placing and finding caches. Groundspeak provided a tool to facilitate that, but then used that tool to wrest control away from the participants who help build it by requiring us to pay subscription fees.

Cachers that don't use an app can still see all non-PMO caches on the website, just like they could 15 years ago.  When geocaching.com started, there were no "apps".  There weren't even smartphones.  Times change, so I don't begrudge GS for changing their requirements.  At least they still haven't changed the price of a premium membership.  It has been the same price since the first day premium memberships were made available.

New users also had to pay upfront just to try and see what geocaching was all about since the now neutered app is an annoying bag of “you need to pay to do this.” I never bought a premium membership since I only cached sporadically. But the times I went, I enjoyed it; so much so that I spent quite a bit of money on a bag of travel bug trackables that I gave to those I introduced to the activity. How do I do that now when this has become a subscription-based activity?

There are other geocaching apps, which will have their own limitations for Basic Members.  The website is still free, and is still accessible via a smartphone browser app.  Or else people can get a GPSr device, which is how this game started.  The game did not start out as something to be played via a smartphone.

• Upvote 3

I don't have a problem with updating the app. I joined right around when the iphone app was in it's infancy, and paid the 10 dollars for it. I was also a premium member. I purchased a GPSr for my wife that was designed for geocaching. We were members so that we could upload large files of caches to it. We even used it to search while on a Caribbean cruise. I remember when the new app was introduced. I installed it, tried it and deleted it, thinking that the old one would keep working. I hardly ever get out to cache, family, and cancelled the premium membership years ago. Again, family.

The issue with the new app isn't that they want you to have a premium membership, even the original app locked out locations unless you had the membership. This though locks you out of locations that are still available on the website without a subscription. This is the biggest issue with the app. If I had 30 dollars a year and was able to run around and cache again I would. As it is I don't and only do so when I travel for work. Finding maybe one or two before calling it. 

3 hours ago, sp1tf1re said:

The issue with the new app isn't that they want you to have a premium membership, even the original app locked out locations unless you had the membership. This though locks you out of locations that are still available on the website without a subscription. This is the biggest issue with the app. If I had 30 dollars a year and was able to run around and cache again I would. As it is I don't and only do so when I travel for work. Finding maybe one or two before calling it. 

A basic member with that "paid" app could  access all caches except those a CO deemed "premium member only" , the only caches "locked out" to basic members. 

A free "Intro" version was available at the same time though, for basic members who neither paid the ten bucks, or  premium membership.  It did have a higher D/T  ((D2/T3) limitation than the current one (at 1.5), but still worked the same.  They're called "advanced caches" now I guess...

Basic members always had free access to all (but pmo) caches by simply accessing the site.  That hasn't changed since premium membership started, certainly nothing new, and still the same today.  :)

17 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Basic members always had free access to all (but pmo) caches by simply accessing the site.  That hasn't changed since premium membership started, certainly nothing new, and still the same today.  :)

Except this new app locks out virtual's and locations with higher difficulties. So this new app is locking out more than just PMO cache's. Yes the app is now free, but I can either just do the basic park and finds, or pay a subscription. I can't even go to the website and push a couple more difficult cache's to the app. 

I understand that they had to update the app. The iphone and android landscapes have changed dramatically. Not only on a hardware perspective but software as well. This caused certain apps to no longer work. They wanted to add features that required a whole rebuild. Sometimes these companies rebuild the app from the ground up and just let you update to the new version at no cost and keep going if you had the previous premium app. Sometimes they get bought out by a competitor and the app that was good gets replaced by an app that has half the functionality and removes the fun, I am looking at you zomato.

The app functions just fine as an app, it just has locked access from content that is free on their own website. Along with nags to subscribe, by showing you that there are other options available, but only if you pay. But you don't have to pay for them if you go to the website. Even on that same phone.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, sp1tf1re said:

19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

1 hour ago, sp1tf1re said:

Except this new app locks out virtual's and locations with higher difficulties.

Sorry I wasn't as clear.   Guess I assumed that you still had that hand-held GPSr too...

But IIRC (and it seems RuideMeida would agree), you should be able to access those waypoints of advanced caches with the app as well, by  going to the site instead.   :)

On 9/1/2017 at 10:19 AM, Twinklekitkat said:

With the addition of updated coords, cache notes, additional maps and offline functionality to the official app I would now recommend it and I do use it occasionally.  Versus a GPS it wins hands down, IMO.

I must be missing something.  I've been a premium member for several years. I used c:geo way back when, when I had an Android phone.  Then my company shoved an iPhone in my hands and I paid $10 for the old official Geocaching app.  It was fine, because I could store lists and maps for offline use.  Then they had me pony up another $10 for the new and horribly insufficient app.  And I could no longer cache off-line, which is the standard around here.  That's when I stopped caching.  For a year or so.

Then I tried a week ago.  I opened the app (which has updated every time there's a new version) and saw nothing about offline saving.  I only saw "adding to lists" which is just like doing it from a real computer.  So I figured, "maybe that's how offline is handled now."  Wrong.  When we got up on Mt. Pisgah with no reception, I was stuck.  No way to cache.  So in a last ditch effort to come back to geocaching, I downloaded some other app (Cachy or Cachly or something like that) and it seems to allow me to actually save caches off-line so that I don't need any internet access to cache, as it should be.

But people here seem to say that the offline issue has been addressed.  Can someone tell me how that is done on the most recent official app?

19 hours ago, randycoxclemson said:

I opened the app (which has updated every time there's a new version) and saw nothing about offline saving.  I only saw "adding to lists" which is just like doing it from a real computer.  So I figured, "maybe that's how offline is handled now."  Wrong.  When we got up on Mt. Pisgah with no reception, I was stuck.  No way to cache.  So in a last ditch effort to come back to geocaching, I downloaded some other app (Cachy or Cachly or something like that) and it seems to allow me to actually save caches off-line so that I don't need any internet access to cache, as it should be.

But people here seem to say that the offline issue has been addressed.  Can someone tell me how that is done on the most recent official app?

Add caches to "Lists", either on the web site, or in the App.  Also, run a Pocket Query on the web site, and it's available in the App (for as long as the PQ is on site).

But there's an important additional step.  Each List in the App has a menu to the right, and in order to save it so it's available offline, you select "Download Offline Data".  I make sure whichever area I intend to hunt is truly saved for offline use before I lose reception.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 10/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, randycoxclemson said:

kunarion covered it pretty well in the post above.  You might also find some helpful info by browsing through the Help Center:

• Offline Lists
  • Create, Edit, Delete Lists  (in the app) -- Lists created/edited via the website and Pocket Queries that have been run in the past 7 days will also show up in the "Lists" section of the app.  This syncing between lists created on the app vs website is one of the improvements over the old app.

Go Tigers!

4 minutes ago, Ranger1965 said:

I do not understand why every time I open the app the usual intro panels have to be scrolled through. It is very annoying. 

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like you haven't logged any finds yet. The introductory experience you're referring to will stop as soon as you've logged your first find.

The new app is an absolute slap in the face

I haven't geocached much since they got rid of the classic app that I never had any problems with. Now that I live somewhere rather remote, I would like to do some geocaching. Unfortunately, since where I live, there is little to no cell service, the classic app would be ideal, because you could download caches, but now you cannot. Also, since I live somewhere remote, most caches are at least a D2 or T2, thus impossible to view even when you have service. And since I live somewhere remote, there are only about 50 caches within 100km or where I live, and there is no point in paying $40 a year to try and find 50 caches, many of which have not been found in a while, and lack any maintenance. The new app is an absolute slap in the face to someone who paid for the classic app, and loved the service it provided. 

9 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

How much do you expect for free?

There are ways around the things you complain about...

Yep.  Especially for users who hunt few caches, it’s a little inconvenient, but simple, to hunt caches all for free, all from a phone.  Even with just the free App.

The rating is not poor.  The App has a rating of 4.7 out 5.  Complaints tend towards the App now being free with a $30 subscription for all access, rather than a one-time payment of $10 for the old paid App.  A bunch of Apps I bought vanished in favor of subscriptions.  Or the App and its company are gone from the Store. Any one-time paid Apps that remain acquire complaints that there are no expensive new features for no additional cost. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
On 5/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, 13EvilCows said:

Unfortunately, since where I live, there is little to no cell service, the classic app would be ideal, because you could download caches, but now you cannot.

Sure you can.  Open the app and pan the map to cover the area you want, then select "Add all to list" from the ... menu to create a list of those caches.  Then click on "Lists" and select "Download Offline Data" in the ... menu next to the list name you just created.  When you go out caching, go to "Lists" again and click on that list, which allows you to see the caches in a list or on a map.  See  HERE  and  HERE  for more details.

Also, since I live somewhere remote, most caches are at least a D2 or T2, thus impossible to view even when you have service.

The app is a separate product that provides an added convenience for finding caches.  If a Basic Member doesn't want to pay for that added convenience, then they can still view all non-PMO caches (regardless of type/rating) on their phone using the web browser.  And the web pages have been changing to be more phone-friendly, so maybe give that a try.

And since I live somewhere remote, there are only about 50 caches within 100km or where I live, and there is no point in paying $40 a year to try and find 50 caches, many of which have not been found in a while, and lack any maintenance.

It's not the app's fault that there are only 50 caches within 100km of where you live, and it's not the app's fault that they haven't been found in a while and are not maintained.  That's something to take up with your local caching community.

The new app is an absolute slap in the face to someone who paid for the classic app, and loved the service it provided. 

If I received a service that I loved, then it would probably be worth more to me than a one-time $10 payment.  That only pays for a fraction of an hour of time spent on developing and maintaining the app.  Even $30 USD per year is only a fractional amount compared to what is received.

And the $30 USD provides more than just expanded app functionality, but also more functionality with PQ's, Bookmark Lists, PMO-caches, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1