Lost My GPSr - Again

colleda

I've now lost my 3rd Etrex 20. It's been two weeks since I've seen my last one and have no idea what I've done with it. Oldtimers perhaps?

The first one I lost while out caching - must have put it down to sign a log - but retracing steps several times after noticing I no longer had it failed to find it. The second time was while windsurfing when it came out of its velcro'd pocket in my PFD.

How many have others lost theirs? is there a record to be had here?

(Goes away to scan fleabay et al for replacement)

I lost my Etrex Vista years ago, it was on a layard round my neck and the clip must have broke, when I got towards the end of the trail and went to check which path to take it was gone. I went back and forth over the track between that point and the last cache I'd found and couldn't find it. That was when I bought an Etrex 30. I've got a different lanyard for the '30 with no clip, if it's not hanging round my neck then it will be in a bag/pocket but I then have the lanyard looped through a belt loop or similar so if it falls out I still won't lose it so have kept this for ~4 years now.

Maybe I shouldn't post to your "lost" thread, but a bit the found balance to your lost?

I've picked up two gpsr  in the Green Swamp (central FL). Both  base models, (one Garmin on Maggie) both functioning after inserting batteries. Full of  rambling swamp tracks, parking (4x) and hunt stand waypoints. Neither with any home screen ID, phone number, address, home waypoint, or any tracks that start on county roads, you know, like at their house.  I bet the owners of both of these devices live within 20 miles of me, but no way to return them their devices. 

More recently,  I  picked up a smartphone in the Green Swamp. Was able to return after charging.

I've twice spent a long time hunting my dropped gpsr in the swamp. Success both times. I'd like to say I now carry it very secured, but I don't really ;-) 

My Christmas present one year was a Garmin GPSMAP 76CsX. Back then, it was one of the more better units and cost around $400. A week after Santa brought it, i laid it on the bed rail of the pickup truck, forgot about it, and drove off. Went a few miles before realizing it was missing. Retraced our drive but no luck,,, it was gone forever.

I've laid other units down at ground zero and walked off but was lucky enough to get them back. A few times, i would go back to where i last saw it and find it laying right where i left it. A couple of times, other geocachers found it near a cache and called to tell me they had it. I learned real quick, to put my name and number on the unit because i don't think i'll ever learn. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I've picked up two gpsr  in the Green Swamp (central FL). Both  base models, (one Garmin on Maggie) both functioning after inserting batteries. Full of  rambling swamp tracks, parking (4x) and hunt stand waypoints. Neither with any home screen ID, phone number, address, home waypoint, or any tracks that start on county roads, you know, like at their house.  I bet the owners of both of these devices live within 20 miles of me, but no way to return them their devices. 

The main reason I don't have that info in mine, is if ever lost or stolen, those folks don't have a direct track back to my house.

- That GPSr is cheaper to replace...

My nuvi has "Home"  set  some distance away for the same reason.   

Both do have "cerberus1" marked permanently into them in case a cacher stumbles on 'em somehow though.   :)

Never lost a GPSr or phone yet.  Lotta pens...

Legends had wide, kinda stiff lanyards that kept it close.

60cxs still has it's original nub in the back for that belt clip that occasionally needs replacing, if not dry-siliconed once-in-a-while.

If I were  colleda though, as well as replacement,  I'd scan fleabay et al for it to show up.

I've lost a couple, but my favorite story was of a near miss.

I walked about a quarter mile on a clear trail from parking to a nice large cache. My wife called as I was going through the stuff inside it. I carefully replaced everything and, still talking on the phone, started back down the trail. When I got to my truck I realized I didn't have my GPS. I retraced my steps looking carefully at every inch all the way back to the cache. Nothing. gone forever. Unless... As a last resort I opened the container, and there was my Xplorist, which I had carefully placed on top of the swag before I put the lid back on!

• Upvote 1

Last year, while on a cruise ship excursion around Saint Peter Port, Gurnsey, my Oregon 450 fell out of my pack sack. I of course didn't realize this until AFTER the bus had pulled away and I was in line to reboard the ship. The cruise liaison did her best to contact the tour and bus companies, but neither had reported finding a GPSr.

I was disappointed, but I had the rest of the cruise to get excited about the Oregon 700 my partner said Santa would probably bring me later that year. However, a week after I got home I received an email from the bus company. They had found my GPSr. When they turned it on, my name, email and phone number appeared on the home screen. I was happy that they had found my old friend (and even shipped it back to me in Canada free of charge.) But then of course "Santa" pointed out I would no longer need the Oregon 700. So, in a sense, I lost two GPSr's on that trip.

Edited by geoBirder
Typo
6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The main reason I don't have that info in mine, is if ever lost or stolen, those folks don't have a direct track back to my house.

- That GPSr is cheaper to replace...

My nuvi has "Home"  set  some distance away for the same reason.   

On my Nuvi, my home location has the address for the cities police station. Maybe they'll have a change of heart and turn themselves in :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
On 8/6/2017 at 2:43 AM, colleda said:

I've now lost my 3rd Etrex 20.

How many have others lost theirs? is there a record to be had here?

Sounds like it's time for a neck lanyard.

I have never permanently lost a GPSr, but I've come close.  Was caching around New Year's and discovered that I left my hiking stick out on the trail.  When I went back for it, I left my GPSr.  Thankfully I had just finished telling two other hikers about it and one of them hollered down the trail a few minutes later, "Is this it?"

Thought I lost it again yesterday while out checking our caches and planning new hides, but thankfully it was just under some whatnot in the back of the Jeep.  I was considering driving into a tunnel or parking garage so I could listen for the lost sat "beep."

Ah, yes, and her name is Gypsy (or GyPSy, maybe), since she runs the higher functions of the caching mobile and can sometimes be a little dumb on the routing decisions.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by hzoi
forgot about Gypsy

I call mine GEOrge.  The car navigation is Tom (its a TomTom).

Back (sortof) on topic:

I did once find a garmin car GPS while I was out and about.  I charged and powered it up and was able to determine the home of its owner; I did a reverse lookup to get his name and phone number; I called him and we arranged to meet and I returned it to him.  We were still not sure how it got out of his truck though.

8 hours ago, hzoi said:

Sounds like it's time for a neck lanyard.

I have never permanently lost a GPSr, but I've come close.  Was caching around New Year's and discovered that I left my hiking stick out on the trail.  When I went back for it, I left my GPSr.  Thankfully I had just finished telling two other hikers about it and one of them hollered down the trail a few minutes later, "Is this it?"

Thought I lost it again yesterday while out checking our caches and planning new hides, but thankfully it was just under some whatnot in the back of the Jeep.  I was considering driving into a tunnel or parking garage so I could listen for the lost sat "beep."

Ah, yes, and her name is Gypsy (or GyPSy, maybe), since she runs the higher functions of the caching mobile and can sometimes be a little dumb on the routing decisions.

hqdefault.jpg

I've had neck lanyards but they kept getting tangled with my glasses (I've lost them too) lanyand and my pen lanyard so I ditched lanyards and use pockets.

I've never gotten the idea of giving names to inanimate objects but we do have a massive 30 year old staghorn (Platycerium) that we call Fred and he has a regular diet of banana skins.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

I call mine GEOrge.  The car navigation is Tom (its a TomTom).

Back (sortof) on topic:

I did once find a garmin car GPS while I was out and about.  I charged and powered it up and was able to determine the home of its owner; I did a reverse lookup to get his name and phone number; I called him and we arranged to meet and I returned it to him.  We were still not sure how it got out of his truck though.

Really, given your car-nav unit's REAL name, it's funnier if you start calling your GPSr "GeorgeGeorge".

Consider it.

I clearly invited karma on myself -- nearly lost my GPSr twice since posting here.  First time, when I was in the middle of hiding new caches, I thought I drove off without it, then found it amid cache containers in the back of the Jeep.  Second time, I'd already hiked almost a mile before I realized I'd left it on top of the log covering the cache I'd logged.

(Ironically, I have a wrist lanyard.  Unfortunately, it only works when you use it.)