What gps device do you use?

flighty

I'm newish to geocaching, I did some years ago, but my old gps device has gone missing and I can't remember what brand it was. I'm interested in having a go at geocaching again, but am stumped as to what gps device to get. I do have a Samsung galaxy s6 if anyone has any experience using one as a gps for geocaching?

2 hours ago, flighty said:

I'm newish to geocaching, I did some years ago, but my old gps device has gone missing and I can't remember what brand it was. I'm interested in having a go at geocaching again, but am stumped as to what gps device to get. I do have a Samsung galaxy s6 if anyone has any experience using one as a gps for geocaching?

I'm brand-new to geocaching, but I'll tell you how I went about choosing a unit. First, I went to goggle and searched, "best gps for geocaching" to learn what I could about these things.  One of the first hits actually came back here to Guide to Buying a GPS Device. Then I read other similar articles, followed by several articles comparing/reviewing/rating different models.  Then I made up an Excel spreadsheet listing all the models I read about and all the features they had (whether pertaining to geocaching or not), ratings, prices, etc.  Then I went to Amazon, and made note of customer ratings there (both good & bad, sometimes numbering in the hundreds to thousands), and plugged them into the spreadsheet.

All this easily narrowed my choice to a couple of models.  I came back here, read some discussion threads about my final candidates, and made my choice--the best choice FOR ME.

Lots of work?  You bet, but I use a similar procedure for any major purchase--especially for things I know nothing about.  Bottom line, instead of relying on the recommendations of a few people who aren't me, I've made my own decisions, am happy with my choice, and sleeping well with it.  YMMV.

Similar to  Viajero Perdido I guess...

If I cached a few years ago, but never logging a find, and wanted to attempt again today, I'd probably use my phone and maybe the Geocaching app to start.

If you aren't happy with the hobby, you're only out the  free app and some time, and not a couple hundred bucks for a handheld GPSr.    ;)

----------------

I prefer a GPSr though (you may to), and even if basic, I'd be able to access all cache types, all Difficulty/Terrain  (except pmo) with it .

- Something many apps won't allow as a basic member.

Still using a long-discontinued Garmin 60cxs, if it ever dies, I'd probably steer to a 64s  - or maybe even a newer model of that series, as it's still working okay.  :)

It comes down to this:

All handheld GPS currently on the market are geocaching compatible. That is, they will load GPX files and show you all the cache information you need so that you don't need to print out a copy of the description.

When it comes to manufacturers, you're kind of locked in to Garmin, at least in the US. DeLorme is no longer, and Magellan, well, I don't know if Magellan is even developing their units anymore. Garmin has dominated the market and as a result, there's a huge user community to supply maps as well as support.

So in the end, it comes down to preference: Do you want a GPS that interfaces with a touch screen, multiple buttons, or a joystick? Everything else is included in one way or another in one of those three lines of GPS.  Touch screen (Oregon, Montana, eTrex Touch), Buttons (gpsMAP 64), or joystick (eTrex).