How do I find geocaches closest to my location?

Friendly Bear

12 minutes ago, Friendly Bear said:

I'm having too much trouble finding anything close to my location.  I'm so frustrated with the limited choices & liked the old format better.

Can I get it back?

If you mean the "Old Search", sure: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Type your coordinates, or type the GC Number of the closest cache and submit it.  Save a bookmark for the page that comes up.  That's the bookmark I click to start Geocaching.com.  Sort by most recent placement (or Last Found), for another handy bookmark.

When you're on your profile page, if you'd look for Search Options on the right, you should see:

Search for geocaches
near your home location
(filter out finds)

By clicking on "filter out finds", don't you see the closest unfound  caches to your location?      :)

Edited by cerberus1
duh moment

Your best help will likely come if you specify what "old format" you're referring to.  If you're just looking for caches close to your home coords, then you could simply go to the homepage  (www.geocaching.com)  and click on "View Geocaches Near You" (see image).  That link doesn't filter our your finds though.

When you say you're frustrated with limited choices, it almost sounds like you're referring to the caches that are available.

gc-homeviewmap.png

Edited by noncentric
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

When you're on your profile page, if you'd look for Search Options on the right, you should see:

Search for geocaches
near your home location
(filter out finds)

By clicking on "filter out finds", don't you see the closest unfound  caches to your location?      :)

I don't see anything like that on my profile page--new or old format. :huh::unsure:

2 hours ago, Friendly Bear said:

I'm having too much trouble finding anything close to my location. 

At geocaching.com, go to Play, View Geocache map, and choose the location where you want to search.  Or if you are more visual use the graphic as noncentric showed a couple of posts up the page.

Edited by CAVinoGal
1 hour ago, RufusClupea said:
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Search for geocaches
near your home location
(filter out finds)

I don't see anything like that on my profile page--new or old format. :huh::unsure:

It's actually the old 'Dashboard' page where that option exists, not the old 'Profile' page.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, noncentric said:

It's actually the old 'Dashboard' page where that option exists, not the old 'Profile' page.

Thanks noncentric.  :)   Too many changes for this dyslexic old fart. 

What was wrong with "your profile" and "your public profile" I wonder?

Edited by cerberus1
4 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

Wait... I was on that earlier, but I have no idea how I got there. :blink:

How DO I get there?

When on the new dashboard, near the top centre of the page you should see "This is a new dashboard experience. If you prefer, you can go back to the old page.". Click on the last 5 words which are underlined.

3 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

Great!  Now how do I get to the NEW dashboard?

In the (relatively) same position on the old dashboard will be a "Go To New Dashboard" button.

To initially get to whatever dashboard is your default, click your avatar at the top of the Geocaching.com home page.

Edited by skramble
17 hours ago, Friendly Bear said:

I'm having too much trouble finding anything close to my location.  I'm so frustrated with the limited choices & liked the old format better.

Can I get it back?

You can "opt out" of a few things (I have) like your "dashboard" and public profile (how this is now, probably only what you see though...), and the "old search" still works (I use it, too).

I agree.  A lotta moves for something that was pretty easy before.

I miss "search newest" most from my profile dashboard page...

28 minutes ago, skramble said:

To initially get to whatever dashboard is your default, click your avatar at the top of the Geocaching.com home page.

That's... strange.  It works (apparently) on any round avatar, but not the square ones.

Hovering over the round ones says, "View Your Profile"

Hovering over a square ones says, "Go to RufusClupea's Profile"

I'm guessing this is what's meant by Private (the former) and Public (the latter) Profiles(?)

It's somewhat confusing.  I'm not usually this slow--there's a lot to take in. 

Edited by RufusClupea
1 hour ago, RufusClupea said:

That's... strange.  It works (apparently) on any round avatar, but not the square ones.

I'm guessing this is what's meant by Private (the former) and Public (the latter) Profiles(?)

You may be looking at the avatars on forums.geocaching.com. You want to be on geocaching.com itself, not the forums, I think the forums always link to your public profile. Should just be one (round) avatar at the top of the page at geocaching.com. It has your handle beside it and your number of finds under that.

Edited by skramble
5 hours ago, skramble said:
6 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

You may be looking at the avatars on forums.geocaching.com. You want to be on geocaching.com itself, not the forums, I think the forums always link to your public profile. Should just be one (round) avatar at the top of the page at geocaching.com. It has your handle beside it and your number of finds under that.

Yes - what skramble said. To get to your Dashboard, you would need to be on geocaching.com - then click on your avatar on that site (round avatar at top-right).