Trackable in unpublished cache

dubidubno

I just got an email from Geocaching HQ saying "A Geocache Containing Your Trackable Item Was Archived". When I try to access the cache listing it instead says "Cache is Unpublished" and there is no information at all about the cache. I really would like to contact the cache owner. What is going on?

Link to the trackable: https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB3ZE64

The owner of the unpublished cache decided to archive their cache page after encountering listing guideline issues preventing its publication.  It's not important to see the cache page.  You can write an email to the other geocacher to confirm that they'll be retrieving their container (and your trackable item) so that your trackable can be placed into another cache.

32 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

I want to also contact the cache owner, to check if the container is still there. It might have been removed.

In which case, you can contact the cacher that placed the TB in the now-archived cache.  You can find them by looking at the most recent entry on the TB's page.  The cacher that placed the TB in the unpublished cache is likely the same cacher that created the cache. 

Edited by noncentric
clarity
  • Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

How do we know the cache was unpublished when the TB was dropped in it? I have myself watched a controversial, published cache that got unpublished and the CO asked to start the review process again.

Because Keystone said so, see bolding below:  There were issues that prevented it from being published, so it was never published. The cacher that placed the TB in that cache either was the cache owner, or knows the cache owner well enough to give them the TB. In either case, they should be able to get the TB back.

4 hours ago, Keystone said:

The owner of the unpublished cache decided to archive their cache page after encountering listing guideline issues preventing its publication.  It's not important to see the cache page.  You can write an email to the other geocacher to confirm that they'll be retrieving their container (and your trackable item) so that your trackable can be placed into another cache.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to be pedantic, but he did not actually say that it never was published. As I said, a geocache can become unpublished due to guideline issues. Also, it seems to me he chose his words carefully to avoid indicating whether "the other geocacher" is the cache owner or not.

17 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but he did not actually say that it never was published. As I said, a geocache can become unpublished due to guideline issues. Also, it seems to me he chose his words carefully to avoid indicating whether "the other geocacher" is the cache owner or not.

I read the phrase "preventing its publication" to mean that the cache couldn't be published, and therefore wasn't.  The reviewer log that makes a cache "become unpublished" is "Retract listing."  Since Keystone wrote issues that prevented publication, and not about issues that caused retraction, I think the meaning is clear.

I also read the phrase "their container" to indicate that the cache belonged to the "other geocacher."

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1
On 8/7/2017 at 7:54 AM, dubidubno said:

hzoi pretty much summed it up. Keystone said " preventing its publication ".  If something was prevented from being published, then it wasn't published.  I didn't get any sense that Keystone was trying to be 'careful' in how he worded his reply in order to be obscure.