Etex vista v Etrex 20

rayo59

Hello everyone . I currently have a etrex vista and I am thinking of upgrading to a etrex 20  can anyone give me some feedback if moving to a 20 would be a good idea compared to the Vista. Also I believe the etrex 20 comes with uk / Europe maps already installed. . Thanks in advance

The Vista is a legacy GPS without many features found on the current Garmin models. It does not have USB connectivity so it has limited connectivity.  The eTrex 20 is also aging but iis part of the modern UPS equipped devices so it is much more flexible.  Unless you are finding a special marketing package that Garmin put together for the European market, the eTrex 20 comes only with a near useless "base map." However there are many high quality free maps available for the newer Garmin units including the e20.  While you didn't mention it, I strongly suggest you avoid the e10 as it was crippled by Garmin to serve as a lower price entry level unit.

I would also suggest that you purchase the updated eTrex 20x rather than the older 20, assuming that's not what you meant when you suggested the eTrex 20. 

Also, it looks like right now you can get an Oregon 600 for $200 on Amazon (here in the States), which is a hell of a deal considering the hardware upgrade you get compared with the eTrex 20x or 30x, the 30x also being the same price. You might find similar deals over in Europe.

Edited by Mineral2

See the very similar discussion below. The original Vista is as terrible in this regard as the iroginal Etrex. The newer models are night and day and buying behind the curve can be a bad move over time.

This forum is chock full of "what should I buy" posts, so please do skim them for the previous advice.

See also:

Edited by robertlipe

The eTrex 20 will be a completely different world from the Vista. I owned a Vista and it was a fine GPS 16 years ago but GPS technology has advanced so much since then. I would definitely go for a 20.

I might be wrong but I believe the maps they come with are the base map which is not very detailed. You'll get major roadways and that's about it. Not much of an upgrade over no map at all. But the good news is that there are numerous free maps available on the internet

Edited by briansnat