Mary Hyde & Future Contest Suggestion

JPCarol

It's great that we collect points for finding caches, attending events, etc, but when will we get some points (read recognition) for hiding caches.  After all, if no one hid the caches to begin with, there wouldn't be any caches to find.  Let's hear it for the hiders !!

Edited by JPCarol

The problem with this suggestion (made many times over the years) is that it inevitably encourages folks to place bad caches: caches that wouldn't exist except for the need to earn some transient achievement.   Reference the many discussions over "junk caches", "vacation caches", "power trails", and so on.

The Mary Hyde contest does give recognition for hiding caches, albeit indirectly.   Finds on caches with at least 10 favorite points --- awarded to existing caches judged as "good" by the community --- earn more points than finds on "ordinary" caches.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Team Hugs said:

The problem with this suggestion (made many times over the years) is that it inevitably encourages folks to place bad caches: caches that wouldn't exist except for the need to earn some transient achievement.   Reference the many discussions over "junk caches", "vacation caches", "power trails", and so on.

Yep. The OP's suggestion would result in cachers placing caches just to get a souvenir, or some other 'recognition', even though they are not interested in maintaining their caches over the long term.

A CO's recognition comes from all the cachers that find and log their cache, and maybe give it favorite points and/or attach photos.

FYI:  Many CO's did get recognition from the "3 million active geocaches: Thank you!" souvenir.

1 hour ago, JPCarol said:

It's great that we collect points for finding caches, attending events, etc, but when will we get some points (read recognition) for hiding caches.  After all, if no one hid the caches to begin with, there wouldn't be any caches to find.  Let's hear it for the hiders !!

I looked, and saw you got your "3 million" souvenir on 4/24, in recognition for being a cache hider, just like all other hiders did.

Curious, what other "reward"  do you feel you need to maintain 'em?   :)

13 hours ago, JPCarol said:

Let's hear it for the volunteer staff that make it all happen for us. 

In addition to what has already been said above, it is also problematic, even if your hidden cache is a quality one, to have a reviewer review and publish it during a contest that lasts only a week. They are volunteers and have lives of their own and may be on vacation or having personal issues during the short window you may want a cache published.

11 minutes ago, Cachez said:

I liked the encouragement to get people to drop those TBs they might have been holding onto for the last year...

I took care of that at the "Lost Treasures" event at the beginning of this promotion. I'm still not caught up on all my field notes drafts though...

3 hours ago, armadillogal said:

I picked up a trackable today but my points did not change. 

Did you "retrieve it" from a cache, or just "grab it" from another cacher?  Or simply "discover it" at an event?  Only  those retrieved from a cache, or dropped off in a cache, count for points.  DIscovering or grabbing it froma nother cacher do not get you any points.