Text vs Image

T0SHEA

Call it a light bulb moment...

We quite often submit to categories that require a full transcription of the plaque or sign in the long description or provide a text box in the variables for the transcription.

As reviewers, we are seeing the use of html increasing which in some cases an image is included. 

What if

We could use an image of the plaque or sign in the long description in place of a transcription of the text.

Here are a few examples of before and after:

Example 1 

Example 1

597f8cf476446_aexample500PowellFDMemorial(7).JPG.152086a1e1fc39437baed92a20c792fb.JPG

Example 2                                                                                                

597f92d7dc6fb_aExample_5002.jpg.993f14f8ead1a641281b4a4194ac83e8.jpg 

Example 3

In example 1: a lot of text to transcribe and even with an OCR it required editing

In example 2: you retain the images and the fire department insignia on the plaque making for a more interesting presentation

In example 3:  you retain the graphics and again more interesting plus you can visually see how the plaque is presented.

Edited by BK-Hunters
5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Call it a light bulb moment...

We quite often submit to categories that require a full transcription of the plaque or sign in the long description or provide a text box in the variables for the transcription.

As reviewers, we are seeing the use of html increasing which in some cases an image is included. 

What if

We could use an image of the plaque or sign in the long description in place of a transcription of the text.

Here are a few examples of before and after:

Example 1 

Example 1

597f8cf476446_aexample500PowellFDMemorial(7).JPG.152086a1e1fc39437baed92a20c792fb.JPG

Example 2                                                                                                

597f92d7dc6fb_aExample_5002.jpg.993f14f8ead1a641281b4a4194ac83e8.jpg 

Example 3

In example 1: a lot of text to transcribe and even with an OCR it required editing

In example 2: you retain the images and the fire department insignia on the plaque making for a more interesting presentation

In example 3:  you retain the graphics and again more interesting plus you can visually see how the plaque is presented.

If it is a category I lead, I do not have a problem with it.  I do not profess to speak for other leaders of categories, though.

It depends on the category and the reason for this requirement.

Like iconions, I have no problem with it in categories I founded.

Silverquill stated several times in the old forums, that he wanted the text in the description to be available for search engines and screen readers for visually impaired people, because the text might not be available anywhere else in the web in text form. So for these categories, your solution would not be valid.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

No doubt you are skilled with a computer, but most of us aren't.

MP, we often get requests for assistance with html, which we are always willing to help. We can provide you with a template to do the same thing.  To morph the images, I use Photoshop Elements, Keith uses a free version of Gimp. 

Once you get a very basic understanding of html the rest is a piece of cake. 

9 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

MP, we often get requests for assistance with html, which we are always willing to help. We can provide you with a template to do the same thing.  To morph the images, I use Photoshop Elements, Keith uses a free version of Gimp. 

Once you get a very basic understanding of html the rest is a piece of cake. 

Your WM's look nice and professional, and I'm a copy/paste just the facts Waymarker. I'm sure I could figure out the template. I can see your examples, but what about those less skilled?

I would allow them in the category that I created if they were nice like yours, but not an ugly picture of a plaque because someone is too lazy to transcribe.

4 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I would allow them in the category that I created if they were nice like yours, but not an ugly picture of a plaque because someone is too lazy to transcribe.

MP, I could not agree with you more about ugly pictures in place of no transcription of text. 

The image in the long description to replace transcribing a sign or plaque is subjective. 

Reviewer A could look at an image and decide it is okay, while reviewer B could deny it because it did not meet some self-imposed standard.  If an image is acceptable to replace a transcription then an example should be provided in the category description page and guidelines must be very clear.  Perhaps even an example of what is not acceptable.

7 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Reviewer A could look at an image and decide it is okay, while reviewer B could deny it because it did not meet some self-imposed standard.  If an image is acceptable to replace a transcription then an example should be provided in the category description page and guidelines must be very clear.  Perhaps even an example of what is not acceptable.

Too many Reviewer B in Waymarking.

3 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Too many Reviewer B in Waymarking.

MP, your above comment: sounds subjective to me. 

The point of my statement, "it did not meet some self-imposed standard" was entirely about the example of images used in place of text. Nothing more than just that and it did not imply that there are officers that fall into that description. .

Please, I am beginning to see bubble emerging from what is that box called? 

9 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

MP, your above comment: sounds subjective to me. 

The point of my statement, "it did not meet some self-imposed standard" was entirely about the example of images used in place of text. Nothing more than just that and it did not imply that there are officers that fall into that description. .

Please, I am beginning to see bubble emerging from what is that box called? 

All I'm attempting to say is everyone may not be on the same page with your idea. Many leaders are absent, Waymarking has a review problem. It's your can of worms, not mine.

4 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

It's your can of worms, not mine.

Are those fishing worms? 

Gee, I thought we were having an open conversation.

I do not think that at anytime I implied that this option of Text vs Image  was something that I was implying/insisting to make it the norm. 

21 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Well you seem to have lost me.

MP, I lost you?

Perhaps this will clarify it for you: I often start topics just for the input, not for some cause or campaign that I am  trying to promote. 

As with this case and the "Reviewer Queue" topic, there is no hidden agenda. 

I am always interested what other waymarkers think about a topic. That is it in a nutshell. :rolleyes:

I think that text has several advantages (as already mentioned by others). At work I have to teach people that they have to add alternative text to their images, so that everybody can use the Website properly. And most of the time I add "and it also helps to be found through search engines". :-) If there was a photo AND text, it would be perfect. And if the time-consuming editing is the problem, I would rather want a text with some errors than no text at all. But, of course it all depends on the category group  and their category description.

Just my 2 Cents.