Reviewer Queue

T0SHEA

As a reviewer, do you use the Reviewer Queue to find pending submissions that you are an officer/leader?

Sometimes I wonder if all officers/leaders use the Reviewer Queue.

As an example, when one of our pending waymarkers is not reviewed for several weeks I will cancel the submission make a minor change and resubmit to generate a new confirmation notice to the officers. Most generally this works well and it is approved.  

However, there are cases where we have several more pending in the same category and they are not reviewed. 

Or one waymark will get approved and not the others in the same category. 

Okay while I am at it, do you use the pending "Vote" queue?

Edited by BK-Hunters

I use my reviewer queue every morning.  I don't really use the Confirmation emails, but I do use the resubmitted emails.  (I want to see why something was denied before I go looking it over as if it were a new submission.)

I'm not aware of a pending vote queue, but I do use the notification emails for votes.  If the notification email fails for a vote, then I'd only know about it if I happen to look at the group page.  Is there a "bang" icon for pending votes for groups?  I don't remember such a thing.   But if there is, then I probably did use it, because I do look for "bangs" on the right list of links.

Anymore I approve waaay more Waymarks than I post.  But I don't mind.  I enjoy the hobby very much.

I do usually review from the email notifications. For two reasons: first, I see if it is a re-submission and can check the reason for denial (and there are waymarkers who just wait a couple of months to re-submit it unchanged); second, the sort order of the queue is not great (not sure what it is, category age?). So when I am flooded in certain categories other submission would have to wait too long to appear on the first page and I belive in first come, first served.

And I keep a note of past group votes to check after three days to not let them get stuck in limbo.

Hi fi67, you must be leader/officer in a lot of categories, 2 pages worth :)

Generally, when I receive a confirmation notice depending on when i check the email it most often is already approved or denied or sometimes not available to review. 

I find it just easier to check the queue for pending submissions. It saves me the hassle of opening confirmations that have already been reviewed. 

As far as re-submissions, I always check the reason for the denial. For the most part, I pass it over to allow the officer that denied it to take a look at it. Sometimes the reason given may not be the whole story behind the denial. Some times I will send a personal email to the submitter if the explanation is too involved, I do write a note in the reviewer comment box with the denial that an email was sent and I do keep a copy for future reference. 

i can give you an example of what could turn into a reviewer nightmare if you use confirmation notices primarily: A few days ago, I created 16 waymarks in just a few categories then realized I was one day too early to turn a calendar date darkest red. So I cancelled all of them, waited till the next day and copied and pasted all the waymarks so they would be submitted on the correct day. I admit it was a lot of work, but the point is there were 16 cancelled waymarks in the officers email box that were not available for review. The next day when I submitted them again with the correct date, the officers received confirmations essentially for the same waymark. Extreme, perhaps...

Edited by BK-Hunters
27 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Hi fi67, I checked your profile and if it is current you are leader in 7 categories and officer in 40 additional categories. Grand total of 47

I would say that you are one busy fellow. :D

I do my best to not neglect my own Waymarking activites, even less the rest of life.

Most of my own categories are small niche categories and there are a lot of busy co-officers in most of the other ones.

Waymarking is extreme sports. Your own words in the second post above...:lol:

6 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

As a reviewer, do you use the Reviewer Queue to find pending submissions that you are an officer/leader?

Sometimes I wonder if all officers/leaders use the Reviewer Queue.

As an example, when one of our pending waymarkers is not reviewed for several weeks I will cancel the submission make a minor change and resubmit to generate a new confirmation notice to the officers. Most generally this works well and it is approved.  

However, there are cases where we have several more pending in the same category and they are not reviewed. 

Or one waymark will get approved and not the others in the same category. 

Okay while I am at it, do you use the pending "Vote" queue?

I just see the waymark by BK-Hunters and just hit the deny button - isn't that what I'm supposed to do? :D  
I always work from the My Categories Reviewer queue during the day and try to clean up my queue at home in the evenings after I get my quota of ones entered for the day.  I'll then check my geocaching email for anything I need to complete; - personal emails telling me what an idiot I am for denying waymarks, votes I need to finish, more personal you're an idiot emails - you know, stuff to help the ego, and then hopefully, I JUST upset enough not to be able to sleep until 1 or 2am.  LOL 
Seriously, during the week it's much harder for me to keep up as it is on weekends.

3 hours ago, iconions said:

I just see the waymark by BK-Hunters and just hit the deny button - isn't that what I'm supposed to do? :D  

You've been reading the wrong manual again. Put down the one tweeted by your esteemed president and, instead, pick up the one on improving international relations.:lol:

Especially, read the chapter on being nice to those poor, downtrodden Canucks.

Keith

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

You've been reading the wrong manual again. Put down the one tweeted by your esteemed president and, instead, pick up the one on improving international relations.:lol:

Especially, read the chapter on being nice to those poor, downtrodden Canucks.

Keith

:D  I figured it'll be something like that!  Next, you'll be telling me to put gravy on my fries and to reply "Merci pour le waymark!"

7 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Mais bien sûr. Mais vous pourriez au moins essayer la poutine, s'il te plaît.

My Kansas French class was forty years ago - good luck with that!  I can barely tell the Quebecois that "Je ne parle francais, parles vous anglais?" :):P Some people say that I can BARELY speak American!

I do not speak French. Do you speak English?"

Not exactly, more like Ozarkian Hillbilly complete with the drawl.

Even after almost 20 years in Canada, I still get pegged for an American. 

I wonder if my accent is detected in my reviewer notes?

28 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I do not speak French. Do you speak English?"

Not exactly, more like Ozarkian Hillbilly complete with the drawl.

Even after almost 20 years in Canada, I still get pegged for an American. 

I wonder if my accent is detected in my reviewer notes?

Funny, I've never been pegged as Canadian!  True story.  My mother, my wife, my daughter and I were in Regina for Canada Day back in 2005, I think.  We were having breakfast in this diner, and this waitress comes up to us and says: "I could listen to your accent all day!"  Funny, the central midwest US accent is what EVERYONE in the media tries to emulate because it really isn't an accent.  (She may have been talking about my mom, though, when I get her to start cutting up, the Okie in her starts to come out and that can be a different language sometimes!)
By the way, I have promised NEVER to complain about driving across western Kansas.  It may be flat and boring, but it has NOTHING on the TransCanada between Fort MacLeod and Winnipeg!  

As a reviewer, I use only the Reviewer Queue.  Usually it's daily, even when I'm sitting outdoors at a picnic table two thousand miles from home...like now.  However, if the category has much more experienced active officers, I will pass on some waymarks that I can't decide on.

6 minutes ago, iconions said:

By the way, I have promised NEVER to complain about driving across western Kansas.  It may be flat and boring, but it has NOTHING on the TransCanada between Fort MacLeod and Winnipeg!  

How I would love to be Waymarking (and maybe caching) that stretch across Saskatchewan.

28 minutes ago, elyob said:

However, if the category has much more experienced active officers, I will pass on some waymarks that I can't decide on.

and here I thought I was the only one...

Sometimes, they go to vote and I still have to make a decision. 

The ones I have the most difficulty are those with no long description, however in some cases it is not required. Which brings up another interesting topic. 

My philosophy: Require nothing and in some cases that is exactly what you get.  

At first I used to review from the email notifications, but over time with the increase of categories where I helped as officer and the consequent increase of email notifications the use of emails has become less practical so i started to use the Reviewer Queue. 

I try to visit the Reviewer Queue every day to approve (or not ) pending submissions.

34 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

The ones I have the most difficulty are those with no long description, however in some cases it is not required. Which brings up another interesting topic. 

My philosophy: Require nothing and in some cases that is exactly what you get.  

Okay, I must admit that this is where I sometimes get a little mean.  Maybe I shouldn't confess, but hopefully it may have some affect on those (and you know who you are) that do this kind of minimalist Waymarking.

A lot of times when I get those Waymarks with no Long Description (usually in Dedicated Benches, but not limited to), I deliberately do not approve them.  I'll let them sit there for a day, or maybe even two for those Waymarks from repeat offenders.  I figure if the submitter was too lazy to tell us anything about the Waymarked object, then I'll just be equally lazy about reviewing them.  But I don't go past the 3 or 4 days that we're "kinda promised" in the general Waymarking description.  I just loath these lazy-posterior Waymarks.

I'd be tempted (if I had the power) to go back and require Long Descriptions on each such category (even if they have good, filled-in variables), but grandfather in the ones that don't have it.  That's my druthers.

6 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Okay, I must admit that this is where I sometimes get a little mean.  Maybe I shouldn't confess, but hopefully it may have some affect on those (and you know who you are) that do this kind of minimalist Waymarking.

A lot of times when I get those Waymarks with no Long Description (usually in Dedicated Benches, but not limited to), I deliberately do not approve them.  I'll let them sit there for a day, or maybe even two for those Waymarks from repeat offenders.  I figure if the submitter was too lazy to tell us anything about the Waymarked object, then I'll just be equally lazy about reviewing them.  But I don't go past the 3 or 4 days that we're "kinda promised" in the general Waymarking description.  I just loath these lazy-posterior Waymarks.

I'd be tempted (if I had the power) to go back and require Long Descriptions on each such category (even if they have good, filled-in variables), but grandfather in the ones that don't have it.  That's my druthers.

And this is what is killing Waymarking. When you took that position as reviewer you agreed to do a job, and now it is more about your opinion and not following the review guidelines.

Sorry, but I did not know that you were like that. That is mean spirited. I remember when Waymarkers used to help each other and not just try and be mean to one another. 

It sure was a learning curve for me. 

When we first became officers/leaders, I did use exclusively the email confirmations.

When that became less effective, I booked marked all the categories we managed when I noticed that on the page was "Review Waymarks (1)"

So I would systematically check each category almost daily. That was okay since we only had 10 or so at the time. 

That was soon to change dramatically, when we became officers in more and more categories. 

Then I happened to notice "My Categories" with a small icon. Wondering what that meant, I click on it and "Show All Waymarks Requiring Review" was at the top of the page.  Humm,  I wondered and the rest is history. 

Okay, it took awhile to figure this all out. It would be nice to have a resource to refer when you have a question, all in one place, where you could to a search by topic. Such as "how do I check "Waymarks Requiring Review".  I know, I know you could post it on the forum, then how about the next time or the next...

Of course it gets down to the old dilemma, "you have to know you need to ask a question and what questions to ask."

Edited by BK-Hunters