send to my smart phone

kerm007

This app looks great!   I have to admit.. its been a few years since I've done any Geocaching and would like to start up again.   I previously used a Garmin hand held but it looks like the app is much easier.   Are most folks just using their phones these days for GC or do some still prefer a handheld unit?   Thanks for the info!

13 minutes ago, 3fan said:

This app looks great!   I have to admit.. its been a few years since I've done any Geocaching and would like to start up again.   I previously used a Garmin hand held but it looks like the app is much easier.   Are most folks just using their phones these days for GC or do some still prefer a handheld unit?   Thanks for the info!

There are plenty of cachers that still use handheld GPSr's, for various reasons. There are a lot of threads in the forum regarding the differences between smartphones and GPSr's.  Personal preference is a major factor and many would argue that performance differences exist between the two types of tech.

Keep in mind that, as a Basic Member, there are some restrictions regarding what you'll be able to access with the official "Geocaching" app. A summary of what you'll see with a Basic Membership vs a Premium Membership is HERE. There are other apps, both free and paid, that you could explore that have other restrictions. The app restrictions do not apply if you use the website, which you could access via your phone's web browser.

4 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I seldom ever pick up a GPS unit anymore. :)

I've never picked up a GPS unit very often.

The first four I found, I was piggybacking on the GPS unit owned by the friend who was introducing us all to geocaching. After that, I found hundreds with only Google maps and satellite images (and a Palm PDA for text note-taking). When I finally got a GPS unit, I still used it rarely. Eventually, I got an Android app that replaced Google maps and satellite images as my preferred navigation tool, and I still use my GPS unit rarely.