Garmin GPSmap 62s

ernsome

Hello all. I recently bought a Garmin GPSmap 62s. It is used but in good condition. I am trying to download the geocache coordinates to the unit, but it says my Mac computer does not recognize it. I downloaded the drivers and Garmin says it recognizes the unit as being plugged in, but the geocaches will still not download. Anybody out there have this experience or might have an answer as to what I should do? 

Thank you in advance!

Ernie

You do not mention how you download geocaches, but assuming you try to download them using the Sent to My GPS button: the Garmin Communicator plug-in is depreciated and only works in older version of certain browsers.

You can use the GPX file button and save/transfer it to your 62s manually (for one cache at a time).

Or use the new list method or pocket queries (for bulk caches).

• Upvote 1

As a Premium Member, you could use Pocket Queries to load multiple (up to 1000) caches at time.  Are you familiar with Pocket Queries?  You can create PQ's based on specific filters/locations or you can create PQ's based on Bookmark Lists.  After creating and running a PQ, then transferring to your GPSr is pretty straightforward.

• Step 1. Connect GPSr to computer with the cable. Give it time to connect.
  • Step 2: On the geocaching website, go to your PQ page and click the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab.
  • Step 3: Click on the PQ name that you want to download. A dialog box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' and 'OK'.
  • Step 4: Find that .gpx file in your computer's Downloads folder and unzip the file, which will result in 2 similarly named .gpx files (xxxxx.gpx & xxxxx-wpts.gpx).
  • Step 5: Move those 2 .gpx files to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr, then wait a bit to make sure they transfer completely.
  • Step 6: DONE!

Another option you could try is a new feature called "Send to Garmin", which enables sending a Bookmark List directly to your GPSr.  You'll need to have Garmin Express on your computer, see HERE for more info.

If you don't want to bother with Pocket Queries or Bookmark Lists, then you could download individual caches via the "GPX file" button on each cache page.

• Step 2: On the geocaching website, find the cache page you want. Click on 'GPX File'. A dialog box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' and 'OK'.
  • Step 3: Find that .gpx file in your computer's downloads and move that file to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr, then wait a few seconds to make sure it transfers completely.
  • Step 4: DONE!

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, noncentric said:

If you don't want to bother with Pocket Queries or Bookmark Lists, then you could download individual caches via the "GPX file" button on each cache page.

• Step 2: On the geocaching website, find the cache page you want. Click on 'GPX File'. A dialog box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' and 'OK'.
  • Step 3: Find that .gpx file in your computer's downloads and move that file to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr, then wait a few seconds to make sure it transfers completely.

Since the GPSr is already connected to the computer, couldn't you just 'Save File' directly into the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr?  Or is there some reason for the (seemingly) redundant step?

1 hour ago, RufusClupea said:
10 hours ago, noncentric said:

Since the GPSr is already connected to the computer, couldn't you just 'Save File' directly into the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr?  Or is there some reason for the (seemingly) redundant step?

If the dialog box gives the option to choose a folder, then sure.  When I click on the 'GPX File' button, using Firefox, then I don't get an option to browse to a specific location. I get the option to "Open" (and can choose the app to use) or to "Save".

My instructions may not apply for users of Chrome. I just tried that and I didn't even get an option to Open or Save, it just automatically downloaded and saved the file to my computer's Downloads folder as soon as I clicked the 'GPX File' button.

13 hours ago, noncentric said:

If the dialog box gives the option to choose a folder, then sure.  When I click on the 'GPX File' button, using Firefox, then I don't get an option to browse to a specific location. I get the option to "Open" (and can choose the app to use) or to "Save".

My instructions may not apply for users of Chrome. I just tried that and I didn't even get an option to Open or Save, it just automatically downloaded and saved the file to my computer's Downloads folder as soon as I clicked the 'GPX File' button.

Both Chrome and Firefox have a setting to provide a dialog for each download. 

Firefox: Hamburger -> Options -> General -> Downloads -> "Always Ask...". 

Chrome: 3 Vertical dots -> Settings -> Advanced -> Downloads -> "Ask Where To Save...". 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, skramble said:
15 hours ago, noncentric said:

Chrome: 3 Vertical dots -> Settings -> Advanced -> Downloads -> "Ask Where To Save...". 

Learning something new every day. Thanks for that!

2 hours ago, skramble said:

That's what I meant; it never occurred to me that--in this day & age--someone would save without specifying a destination.

Thanks for elucidating for me.

Edited by RufusClupea
On 7/31/2017 at 0:23 AM, RufusClupea said:
On 7/30/2017 at 3:17 PM, noncentric said:

The other options is to use a 3rd party waypoint manager.  Many will recommend GSAK but as the OP has a Mac that's going to require some additional steps to get it running.  Other options for a Mac include iCaching or Basecamp.  While it may seem redundant to copy waypoints to the computer, then to the GPS,  the advantage of using a waypoint manager is that, well, one can manage, organize and filter a large collections of waypoints and send a subset to the GPS using the waypoint manager.   For example, I am planning a trip to Germany next month but will be stopping in Copenhagen (with a side trip to Malmo, Sweden) and Helsinki on the way.  I can create separate pocket queries for each region, merge the results, and send everything the GPS at once.   I might have a separate set of waypoints for local caches I may want to find before or after I travel and, with a waypoint manager I can organize things however I want.

I use an old basic Garmin  etrex H GPSr but have never tried to download caches to it with my desktop computer running windows 10. In the past, I have manually entered caches, one at the time. Having read these instructions on this forum, my question is " when I move the 2 GPX files to the Garmin/ GPX folder of your GPSr" do I create this folder or do I have to obtain this folder from another source? The Garmin website refers me to Geocaching.com and Geocaching refers me to Garmin. 

Any help would be very appreciated.  Thank you, Lazygardner

The solutions mentioned above do not work for the eTrex H. The unit cannot import GPX files and Garmin Express does not support old units.

You can import the saved GPX files into MapSource or BaseCamp and send them from there to your unit.
GSAK or EasyGPS are also an option.

Edited by StefandD