Question about lists or pocket queries on eTrex

DouglassSF

Hi! I am new to geocaching . We have a Garmin etrex 35 touch. I made a few lists on the computer for a future camping trip that I want to download to the Garmin unit. I am not sure if the download worked - is there a way to see the lists by name on the Garmin? Or I do I need to create a pocket query? I am not clear on what to do here. Thanks.

If your 35 is similar to my 30x, you have to unzip the file to get up to two gpx files.  Then plug the etrex into the computer and copy the gpx files into the garmin/gpx folder on the etrex.  Safely remove the etrex and then start it up.  There will be a way to display a list of geocaches.  The caches in your list should be displayed along with other caches already on the device.  

I usually delete the entire contents of the folder before loading fresh caches.

To the OP: The method described above by Gill & Tony refers to Pocket Queries (PQs).  You can create a PQ from a list by going to your "Lists" page and clicking "Create Pocket Query" next to the list you're interested in (click on "...").  Give the PQ a name, select a day to have it run, select the checkbox 'include pocket query name in download file name', and then the 'Submit Information' button.  You'll receive an email when the PQ is available for download.  Once downloaded, then follow the steps mentioned by Gill & Tony above.

Another option you could try is a new feature called "Send to Garmin".  You'll need to have Garmin Express on your computer, see HERE for more info.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, DouglassSF said:

Hi! I am new to geocaching . We have a Garmin etrex 35 touch. I made a few lists on the computer for a future camping trip that I want to download to the Garmin unit. I am not sure if the download worked - is there a way to see the lists by name on the Garmin? Or I do I need to create a pocket query? I am not clear on what to do here. Thanks.

I'd suggest trying out Pocket Queries.  They're ideal for handheld GPSrs.  Besides making PQs directly, you can use Lists in PQs, as mentioned.  For one thing, PQs don't rely on a third-party "plug-in", so if there's ever an issue with "Send To Garmin", there's a manual way to load caches that could work.  A backup plan is good. :cute:

But since you already have a List to load, and if you're OK with installing Garmin Express, you could first try "Send To Garmin".  That will probably work with a couple of clicks, and the List is loaded.  See noncentric's reply above for links.

Garmin Express is useful anyway, since that's a good way to get firmware updates.

Edited by kunarion
Expanded point #1