Communicator Plugin not detected

WhitewolfLadyhawke

I'm using a Mac and a Garmin.  I've used this combo before without problems.  Now when I want to send the data of a Cache to the Garmin I get this.  "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected".  I've installed the plugin and know it's there but still get the message.  Any ideas?  I should add that when I click on the link to 'Download and Install' it's already there and recognizes my HCX.

Edited by Greywolfy-Ladyhawke

The communicator hasn't worked (well) for some time.  Web browser & security issues IIRC...

There is a new option by an agreement with Garmin and Groundspeak called Send to Garmin .   :)

I haven't tried it, still loading caches manually since starting.  Any extra info I just put in a pocket notebook.

Curious, since you only have nine finds since '10, wouldn't loading caches manually be an easier, stress-free solution?

Do a forum search for "communicator plugin" and you'll have (at least) a weekend's worth of reading material. In short, forget the communicator, it's gone, done with....forever. It's surprising you were able to have it working for so long as for most it stopped working more than a year ago (if you keep your system up-to-date that is).

Thanks for the quick replies you two. :)

We've been Geocaching for years but don't record the finds very much.  As you can see. :D  I'm still working and we do this only when we go camping.  Thru a series of events we haven't been able to search for caches for a couple of years.

So it makes sense that the old Communicator is gone and I didn't know about it.  I have Garmin Express already installed for a road GPS I have and it doesn't support the HCX.  I believe you are correct that the HCX is too old.

I'll keep the HCX as it works great for my needs while hunting, but it looks like I'll be looking for something to geocache with.  :(

Not dead in the water for this weekend.  Where we're camping is near a town that has several caches.  I installed the Groundspeak ap on my phone and since there's cell service we'll use that.  

By the way, after looking at GPS's I may be retiring my trusty HCX.  Only problem is, THERE'S SO MANY CHOICES!  I need to find one not only for caching, but I have to be able to load topo maps for the U.S and Canada.

Edited by Greywolfy-Ladyhawke
On 7/29/2017 at 7:34 AM, Greywolfy-Ladyhawke said:

Not dead in the water for this weekend.  Where we're camping is near a town that has several caches.  I installed the Groundspeak ap on my phone and since there's cell service we'll use that. 

FYI - The Groundspeak app should work while outside of cell service.  You can create a list of caches on the phone or website, or run a Pocket Query on the website, and then those will show up on your phone. You can then "Download Offline Data" for that list/pq and the info will be stored on your phone.  If you're outside of cell service, then your phone's GPS chip should still work (check your phone's Location Services to make sure GPS sensors are in use) and you can open that downloaded list on the app to find those caches. Your success rate may vary depending on what type of phone you have. My LG phone's GPS accuracy has been awful. Maybe it's been dropped one too many times, but even Google Maps driving directions got so bad that it would tell me to take a freeway exit after I had already passed it. Ugh!

On 7/29/2017 at 7:34 AM, Greywolfy-Ladyhawke said:

By the way, after looking at GPS's I may be retiring my trusty HCX.  Only problem is, THERE'S SO MANY CHOICES!  I need to find one not only for caching, but I have to be able to load topo maps for the U.S and Canada.

There are a lot of threads in the forum about various GPSr's.  I bought the eTrex 20 (now replaced with the 20x for buttons or 25t for touchscreen) and haven't had any issues with it. It's one of the more economically priced models and I like the small size. The 62 and 64 series seems interesting, but don't fit in my pockets as well as the eTrex. A lot of the choice in GPSr units comes down to personal preference.  Whatever model you choose, I would certainly recommend sticking with the Garmin brand.

17 minutes ago, Greywolfy-Ladyhawke said:

I did stick with the Garmin brand and still have the same problem.  I ended up getting the Oregon 650t.  I click on the link to install and it's there and the Oregon is detected. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 6.09.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 6.09.40 PM.png

It's probably not possible to use "Send To My GPS" anymore (with a modern updated PC), and that's because Garmin Communicator is dead.  Avoid the button and that plug-in.

Instead, install Garmin Express (which you've done already).  Next you can add caches to "Lists", either by selecting one at a time, or in search results.  From any List, click the new button called "Send To Garmin", to send the cache files.  Garmin Express pops up and does its thing like magic.

Also, remember that you can place any GPX file (including Pocket Queries of whole areas) directly into the Garmin/GPX folder of your Oregon, without any "plug-in".  If you need details, this is all well covered in the Forums.

Edited by kunarion