Paper Logs

macornley

Read the basics in  Geocaching 101  ?   :)

In "How is the game played" it says ...

At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.
  2. Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
  3. Enter your postal code and click "search."
  4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
  5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
  6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
  7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
  8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

So, after reading this post, I got to thinking. (I know, that is a dangerous thing.)

I guess my question is, how did we as a group and Geocaching as a site go so wrong?   I know there have been many posts on not allowing new cachers to hide, but then I wonder how does a new cacher not understand that you must sign a log for it to be a geocache.  That is the definition of a geocache.  

I am not intending to blame the OP, just wondering if there is something we can do better...

Since nobody else has, I might as well quote the relevant guideline:

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit.

and:

A traditional cache consists of at least a container and logbook and is located at the posted coordinates.

Edited by barefootjeff
8 hours ago, no100066 said:

So, after reading this post, I got to thinking. (I know, that is a dangerous thing.)

I guess my question is, how did we as a group and Geocaching as a site go so wrong?   I know there have been many posts on not allowing new cachers to hide, but then I wonder how does a new cacher not understand that you must sign a log for it to be a geocache.  That is the definition of a geocache.  

I am not intending to blame the OP, just wondering if there is something we can do better...

I believe it's simply the times.   :)

How many times have you clicked the, "I have read and agree to the terms..." button, and actually read the pages of legal gibberish?

Same thing here.  There's (really) nothing that requires one to read Geocaching 101 or the Help Center before playing. 

We notice a big difference in new folk's knowledge of this odd hobby, which I feel is simply do to an app one can load and go.

- Compare it  to years ago, when you wanted to be sure you got your money's worth after buying that new handheld GPSr just to play.

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

How many times have you clicked the, "I have read and agree to the terms..." button, and actually read the pages of legal gibberish?

I'm prolly one of the 1% that always has/does (even before the relevant SP episode, [title/link omitted due to family-friendly nature of this site]).  In some instances, checking the box and clicking the acceptance has been construed the same as signing a legal document.  Would you sign without reading it?  Astoundingly, many people do that too, but I digress...

I have a real problem with the POV that there should be a minimum # of caches found before hiding one, or some other "Literacy Test".  OTOH, I know why some feel that way.

That said, the OP makes me wonder what else s/he doesn't know about this "game" that s/he should.  My suggestion is that s/he go back and actually watch/read ALL of what's available on this site about this subject.

Geocaching—Hide a Geocache

15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

I would say the the word "logbook" can be loosely interpreted as anything a player can record their name and the date found on it. There are caches out there where the log is a wooden plank, the back of a magnet, or even a car (a recent mega event comes to mind). I think the intent is there should be a way for the CO to verify the user found the intended cache by writing on something.

To the OP:  Yes, it is necessary to include a physical logsheet when you place a cache.  A core guideline is "Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed."  So, cache owners should provide a physical log.

If a cacher doesn't sign the physical logsheet, then their "Found It" log can be deleted by the cache owner. Such deletions are at the cache owner's discretion and often a cache owner won't delete if the logsheet was too wet to sign or similar circumstance beyond the cache finder's control.

Logging finds online, via the website or the app, is done after signing the physical logsheet inside the cache container. Online logs are not a substitute for signing the logsheet that's inside the cache container. I hope you've been signing the log sheets for the caches you've found.