Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Greetings from the UK. Am new to the forums, but have been caching for a good few months now. Do a lot of Hill walking and cycling and got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx to help with those fog bound days in North Wales. Then discovered the world of Geocaching and have been pleasantly hooked since.

my username is 64zoolane which is after a childrens program here in the UK on the BBC which my young daughter loves (her name is Lucy just like the character in the program). She loves the fun of finding caches too and will hopefully keep an interest.

Cheers,

Brian

Lol... I had no idea what a "luker" meant until I opened this post, which by the way - the only reason I opened it was because "Introduce yourself" was in the subject. Seeing as I am new to geocaching, the website, and as of yesterday, this forum - I figured a solid introduction was a great way to kick off the geocaching experience! <_< I did however discover what lurking meant and I guess that is what I have been doing tonight. I do plan on being more active as I have questions or just want to learn more about geocaching. I am noticing that I have ALOT to learn, but I also have been a very fast learner, doing the majority of my cache finds just this month and placed 2 already (a third is pending approval).

Now for the introduction... I will spare any boring details and what you can read for yourself on my profile. Hahaha, actually there is nothing I can add here that isn't already on my profile. Is it bad I just send you there if you are really interested? <_<

Well, I am looking forward to meeting some NICE and FRIENDLY geocachers through these forums... I did come across some of those hostile threads some people have referenced... I had to leave those because I didn't want to read all that negativity and rudeness!

Until later! Let's go geocaching.

<_< Hello, I am brand new to Geocaching. Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, and am moving to Pasco County Florida on June 1st. Will most likely wait to start hiding until I get there. I really enjoy the forum here. Anybody out there collect Geocoins? I am looking for a good site to buy award coins for certain amounts of finds and hides. Happy Caching!

Hi all I am very new to Geocaching and this forum. I have only been here for about 4 days and am loving it so far. I am 3 for 6 in finds. No not a great average but hey it is a start. The first find was to simple the next two a little difficult. The three DNFs are driving me nuts but I will not give up, they will be mine. Fortunetly they are within a mile and a half of my house so not a long trip to go look again.

Well just wanted to pop in and say hello, thanks for all the info I am getting from this forum.

find

hide

have fun

I just received a Garvin Nuvi 200 as a birthday gift. Getting started in geocaching has been a wish of mine for several years, so I'm here to learn the lingo and the etiquette.

I have over 80 caches mapped in a radius of maybe 20 miles from my home (Hermiston, Oregon), but I haven't actually searched for one yet. Well, I drove around one two days ago, just to see how the GPS reacted. :D By this weekend, I will be getting my feet wet.

Hi folks, new member here. I am just getting started with Geocaching and am already enjoying it. Sometimes I take my stepson (Buggybubba) with me and sometimes it is just Boo (the dog in my avatar).

Been having lots of fun and have already submitted my first cache. Just waiting for the review.

Well, thats my story................

Howdy! I am just starting out. Got my Garmin Venture HC today and found my first cache today right by where I live! Looking forward to getting out there and finding more. In the route I take to work every day, there are 100 caches! So I should be trying to get those soon. See you out caching!

VG19

Hi there. I'm pretty new to caching, been at it for a little over a month. I just moved from Ohio to Texas and I was pretty bored when i first got here. My mother geocaches and she suggested my husband and I try it. We ended up loving it and currently have about 80 finds. I guess you'd say I'm a lurker here on the forums since this is my first post. :)

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :huh:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

"Hi!" we are likestocanoe 1 & 2 and have just started trying to find some answers to our questions here on the forum pages. No hostility here. :huh:)

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :laughing:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

:laughing: hi we are dillonsdaddy, we are from columbia, tn. we have

just started geocaching at the end of april 2008. having a ball!!!!! looking forward to joining

mtgc organization as soon as we find someone locally who is part of it. in three weeks we have

good hunting, bought us a GARMIN MAP60CX. love it. we are active in the cub/boys scouts of

middle tennessee. the scouts done some geocaching last spring at our family campout that is

how we got started and thinking about it.

Been lurking since Friday, May 16th. Met a guy Geocaching back in 2001 - Thought he was nuts. Went camping a couple weeks ago with some friends and one of them was into it. It was pretty cool to hike along on the search, so this weekend we're spending it as a family Geocaching.

We intend to make the original cach site our first, homage I guess. It's about an hour away so we'll hit plenty more on the route back.

Lurking lets me watch the interactions, most are pretty good and positive, others are painful to watch. You just have to be carefull what you say and think before you write.

Not much to tell, my sister reported me to hair club for men in the mid 90's and it took me three years to get off their list.

2 kids, both of whom are looking forward to geocaching-starting this weekend.

I have a wife, she's on the fence about this being a good idea. One day she will learn that all my ideas are good. Maybe not well thought through or tested, but still good.

I might be looking for a job soon, but that's a different thread.

Edited by Unkle Fester

Well, I don't know if I would call myself a lurker. I come one here maybe once a day. I do try to post now and then though. I mean, what's the point of looking at the forums if you are not going to do anything.

I just started geocaching. My mom had wanted to geocache when it fist started but never was able to buy a GPSr. Now we finally have so I have been doing most of the caching. As you can see, I have only found 7. Summer is coming though, so I am hoping to boost that up.

Call me a lurker if you want, but I don't really see the harm in doing so. :unsure:

Hello all.

New to the boards. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Hockeychik.com from Georgia, about 20 miles west of Atlanta.

Tina-JapGarden-Thumb.jpg

Hey Hockeychik!!! I don't normally hang out in these parts, but saw you were the last post on here and thought i would say hello and glad to see you are out and about... it was great to meet you at GW6 even if you did bring that weirdo you hang out with :huh:

a word of warning for the forums - some of the admins here are rough characters... be careful what you say!!

:lol::lol::huh:

We're about 70 miles east of San Francisco on the very edge of the Bay Area, and I am seriously considering renaming us "Can'tFindAnything" - we're 1 for 6 over the past two days. "We" are a nine-year-old, an eleven-year-old, and a frustrated 36-year-old who feels like her main role so far is to stand around and watch for Muggles.

I lurk because it's intimidating to not be able to find anything, then read dozens of posts and logs from cachers that say "Drove up. Quick find."

Hello all!

This is our 1st post in the forums. We have been lurking around & gathering up information about anything and everything.

We accidently happened upon a cache a couple months back and it instantly sparked our interest. After buying a gps and getting all set up... we are now approaching our 200th find in 5 weeks time and have hidden 5 of our own caches so far.

We are in the Mercer County area of Illinois and loving geocaching!

I've known about Geocaching from way, way back. But I just got a GPS and started hunting for caches with my family a couple weeks ago. WE LOVE IT! Been using these boards as a good "eduction" on the finer details of the game, and getting tips/software to better use our Garmin Legend C. Thanks for all the great info. Maybe I'll find some of you geocaching in Minnesota some day.

Hi, my name is Captain Cooder, and I am a lurker. I'm a member of other fora, where I sometimes post, but mostly I just lurk. It's just like any conversation. Sometimes you feel like what you say makes no difference, sometimes you feel like you'll get shot down. I tend to want to use a forum for one of two things: (1) to solve a problem/learn something specific, or (2) to gripe about something. The problem is that there is little free speech on most fora, that is, they are politically correct. Say something unpopular, like "this cache is crap and ought to be banned; who the heck approves this junk?" and you get tarred and feathered and run out of town. Or, worse, you offend the god of the forum, who arbitrarily banishes you. Furthermore, most fora are have cliques, and if you don't fit in, well...And not like I want to anyway, I mean, seriously, what kind of loser has 4000 posts? Posts should be significant, not a waste of space, spent on nonsense.

To introduce myself. Im not very much of a lurker, since I haven't been on too much as it is. I started geocaching about 6wks ago and absolutely love it.

I live in CT, Oakville/Watertown.

I use the tag Astar and my spouse uses the tag PJeepers, "AstarandPJeepers".

We use a road GPS and have already discovered it would probably be easy to get a handheld and water resistant model, and more rugged as mine is all scrathed up now from the woods!

I hope to learn from others and hopefully meet cachers in my area!

by the way, where can I find out what all the lingo means??

I am new to this as well. Slopitch is my member name and I live in N.Idaho and work in S.W.Washington.

Long story (and drive). I have found several caches here in WA in the past couple of days and I have also NOT found a couple. I have a question, what is a magneto cache?

Not much to tell, my sister reported me to hair club for men in the mid 90's and it took me three years to get off their list.

2 kids, both of whom are looking forward to geocaching-starting this weekend.

I have a wife, she's on the fence about this being a good idea. One day she will learn that all my ideas are good. Maybe not well thought through or tested, but still good.

I might be looking for a job soon, but that's a different thread.

Your funny

HI i am sally from moses lake washington... i honestly thought my aunts where carzy when they told me that they were hunting for others trash lol then i realized that one mas trash is another mans GEOCACH! its great now i have a geo-group on myspace (look it up by zip code if you are in my area 98837) and i am a full believer

well i am 22 years old i just got in to this wonderful activity about 3 weeks ago i LOVE it its a great way of exersize!

i am a bartender and a makeup artist and the neice of METZI and SHERYL1LYN here on the site so yeah thats pretty much it.... so so so nice to meet you all and i hope to hear from you and dont be afraid to add me on myspace or MSN~ laters

Hi All! I am payo72 & i'm a Lurker/Newbie from Bishop, CA! :) We found our 1st cache by the volcanic tablelands last night. We had a great time finding it! We are new to using a gps & its hard to figure it out while being constantly interupted at work. go figure! But we were able to find this cache quickly. Thank you for the Game!! :D:D

Completely forgot to introduce myself before posting, sorry...

I've been a lurker for some months now, and a very methodic one - geocaching is one of my research interests. I'm a PhD student and I wanted to find something really nice to study. Something that I could get involved into and that would keep me motivated to work hard for years untill my thesis is ready. I posted some questions on the forum before, but since I got my GPS and scored my first found today I now fell more like a real member :D

BTW, if anyone would like to talk about your experiences with geocaching (face-to-face, by IM, Skype or email) or want to discuss some of my early impressions about the activity, just let me know!

Edited by Daiane

I don't know if I am considered a lurker, but I hit the forums kind of a lot I guess. I go geocaching about every 2 or 3 days. At least I try too. I'm hoping to go to an event soon, and meet some other geocachers who I've seen on the internet and their logs. So yeah, that's me!

Hi There,

We started G-Caching as a family in May using a Automotive GPSr and actually found a couple of caches on Vancouver Island. HOOKED.

I bought a Garmin 76CSx last month and we've been having a great time since.

I lurk around the forums picking up some great tips.

Thanks for the help with my new addiction.

OK! Been caching for 3.5 yr. This is the 3rd time on the forum. I don't consider myself a lurker but I also don't have much time for lurking. Biotop and I have enjoyed caching in a number of locations and find the challenge rewarding. Even more so when you run across a fellow cacher. We like to bring Owl Bait and Sphlat (Winston's Cache), our dogs, along. Geocaching has been an activity that has brought us to new locations, new adventures and new people that we would have never experienced. Thanks guys!

The wife and I go as Aussie and Birdaholic. I bred parrots in Australia for many years and the wife bred Macaws here in the states. We met on the internet and after a while decided to amalgamate. So here I am in Florida doing the "happy ever after" bit. After nine years we have now sold the breeder birds and go geocaching instead. Bought a magellan about two years ago which lasted a total of three months. Sent it in for repairs and they sent the money back so we bought a garmin streetpilot 2620. About four months ago we (I) bought a 76csx and have been caching on the weekends ever since. We don't spend a lot of time as it gets too hot in the afternoons. It is a great hobby.

Greetings All!

I would have to say that I have experienced and seen both sides. I think the most intense (nicely put) discussion, and I see this repeatedly since it is a common question, is if someone new asks about what they should buy. Rather than offering experiences, such as this worked for me and I use mine for this purpuse, or this was easy to use (and why), folks debate one ANOTHER about their preferences, and completely forget about hte newbie that asked the question. Hey I had no idea what they were all talking about when I posed the question. The ONLY good advice I caught was to go to REI because of their great return policy (which came in handy after my first weekend out & I decided to upgrade)

That being said I have also made more than my share of boo-boos, and someone has ALWAYS stepped up with helpful or encouraging advice. Even going so far as to email me an extra hint since I inadvertantly went looking for a micro (not knowing the differences) and like all of us was totally obsessed. Ultimately it was found, lesson learned, no micros B) ... for now .... & try to steer clear of the smalls, unless the logs sound encouraging.

So Addicted and Loving it! ;)

Hey All, I'm the 1Percenter and have been a premium member since September 07 but this is my first post. I work full time and up until last month, went to school full time, so not a lot of time to cache or post. I'm here now though and will be watching the forums for some good caching tips. I'll try not to be too much of a lurker...

1Percenter :)

Edited by 1Percenter

I used to geocache a few years ago under a different name. Stopped for a couple of years (I was caching with a partner before we parted ways). Just got around to getting a new GPS and picking it back up again to explore my new neighborhood, give me a another excuse to ride my bike and have some fun! :angry:

Hi Everyone!

I am so green to this geocashing that I havent even stepped foot out of my house to try it yet! I was at work the other day when one of the nurses mentioned she was going to the Carolinas to geocash. After her explaining it to me and showing me the website I wanted to leave work right then and there to get started on it. I think this is going to be awesome fun for me and two of my grandsons. I'm looking forward to learning and reading and doing! Our first attempt will be Tuesday. I think the boys are going to love it!

Haybranmaw!

Haydn, Brandon and Grammaw

New to this game myself, but enjoying it very much. I'm DNF'ing quite a bit, but I'm not losing patience. My GPSMap 60 is probably stacking the cards against me a bit (doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver), but that's ok...I'll just develop my hunting skills.

Glad to see that there's a place to get answers to questions and such. :P

I just heard of geocaching a few days ago and bassically havent left the site yet. i can tell im going to get stuck on this really bad. Im going out tonight for my first time , ive got a list of about 5 to cheack out because i figured there will be some failed attempts. Was very suprised to see that there were so many around my area, some just minutes from my house.

Cant wait to get out here tonight

I'm relatively new here. As you can see, I've already found 50 caches, so this is now my favorite pasttime. I can blame this all on a local family team that introduced me to this game. I've now got a few others going - I guess that's how it grows, eh?

Just lurking a bit right now, but will be chiming in as soon as I can find a place to do so.

Jeff

David here, live in Olathe which is a Kansas City burb. My friend at work got me started. This has gotten me out of the house this summer since I am recovering from some pretty harsh medical treatments. Still don't have the get up and go but when I go I go caching. :rolleyes: