Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I'm mostly a lurker.  I'm here almost daily, and I post a little... but most of the time I just read.  It seems like others have much more intense feelings about most of the issues here than I do.  And there is the tendency to jump on people.  Example:  I had a question about caches and the environment the other day and I got pounded for asking.  (Actually, some of it was funny... I got told I put the "mental" in environmental.)  Anyway, it was just a question... sort-of off-the-cuff, just wondering.  I was amazed at the STRONGLY negative responses... it didn't really seem like it fit with the question.

So... I'm just saving up most of my time and energy for topics that are worth the onslaught.  So far I haven't found any.... but I do learn a lot from reading.

Jaime

edit: "a question," not "an question"

I recall making that statement. (The mental one) I apologize if it came across as bashing you! I never meant any malice in my post at all. It's hard to express tongue-in-cheek comments in a written forum, even the new winky :) doesn't do it well.

Again, I'm deeply sorry if my post insulted you in any way.

Ah Criminal,

That reminds me of the "old days" when you used to expound your anti-tree-huggers philosophy at every turn, and I would egg them on and on...

Alas, where have all the flowers gone?

I guess you could call me a lurker but I still know everything that goes on in here whether or not I want to. Sax man tell me everything new when he calls from work or when he gets home or even sometimes when I'm trying to sleep and he thinks that something is sooooo funny!

Come on, tell us the truth....you only lurk because the sax-totin' smurf-boy won't let you on the computer, right?

</lurk>

I've found many posts very informative, they guided me in making a decision on what GPSr to buy, they type of batteries to use, the extra gear that makes the hike worthwhile and enjoyable.

The raging battles take the shine off the site but this forum is better than usenet for the S/N ratio.

I mostly post in the .au site, and occasionally read the posts here, after selecting which threads to read based on the subject line.

Nowhere is going to have 100% signal, 0%noise.

Baseline Benny.

<lurk>

I guess you could call me a lurker but I still know everything that goes on in here whether or not I want to.  Sax man tell me everything new when he calls from work or when he gets home or even sometimes when I'm trying to sleep and he thinks that something is sooooo funny!

Come on, tell us the truth....you only lurk because the sax-totin' smurf-boy won't let you on the computer, right?

She gets plenty of updates about the forums from me, let her lurk in peace :)

I guess you could call me a lurker but I still know everything that goes on in here whether or not I want to.  Sax man tell me everything new when he calls from work or when he gets home or even sometimes when I'm trying to sleep and he thinks that something is sooooo funny!

She gets plenty of updates about the forums from me, let her lurk in peace :)

Yeah, but you can put any slant on something if you don't have the full story! :)

Hello, Lurkers. I have been informed that my comments are no longer welcome in this thread. I apologize if I have frightened any of you, or made you feel unwelcome in any way. With nearly 800 posts in just over a month, I guess I'm not qualified as a lurker anymore, though I still lurk in many forums here. Please continue with your lurking as if I had never been here, and have a Merry Christmas!

EDIT: I want to clarify that I was not told my comments were unwelcome, just that I have been asked not to ever post here again. My apologies for misunderstanding the difference.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

how'd you guess sparky

how'd you guess sparky

Just a lucky guess! (From experience).

Oh, and I've been politely asked to refrain from posting here anymore. :mad:

EDIT: And now I've been officially warned for this reply.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Greetings one and all! I just received my Magellan Sportrack for X-mas and I've been researching geocaching to add more adventures to my Urban Treking Blog, located here:

Baytown Bert's Urban Treking!

I run a historic Texas web site on the city of Baytown, located on the Gulf Coast also and thought I might use geocaching as a tool to find and draw folks to our historic resources.

Our Baytown!

I'm also an old time Jeeper and run:

Jeep Madness!

My real passion is my para-military/political web site located here:

Orbiting Command Ship Central!

I'll post more as I develop some experience.

Baytown Bert :unsure:

I'm a lurker!! I've visited the forums many times this week, (probably over 100 log ins) and have spent many hours reading the posts, silently (4 hours a day this week). I made less than 10 posts. I find most of the forums very funny. The battles between a certain few members and the admins are quite ammusing, although I agree with the admins for the most part. mtn-man continuously says it right about the intent of these forums and the job of the admins. I don't however mind a little off topic stuff from time to time (assuming it is good natured). As for the accusations that the forums are getting more hostile lately, I don't have anything to compare them to. I'm trying to quit lurking and post more but for now, back to the shadows!!

Edited by wildearth2001

***steps out of the shadows***

Well, uhhhh, yeah -- HI! Been lurking on the forums intensely for about 3 months now. I'll generally come in for info or to check a topic and then end up lmao over some lovely verbal battle. :unsure: Don't know why I find so much humor in the posts, but hey! maybe I'm easily amused.

**dons a black trenchcoat and a pair of sunglasses***

Catch y'all later, and I'll be enjoying your posts! :D

:unsure: Hey there,

I just archived a couple of locationless caches since the pages were difficult to edit and/or search for dupe entries, since they went to, oh about 150 pages in Word. Does anyone know of an easy way to baby sit the listings and keep on top of it other than a database or excel type program? thanks,

bsteeboy

Obviously I/We are lurkers.. Thinking of creating a group called LurkersRUs... ;) LOVE geocaching.. just don't post much, read a lot though. I don't feel very authoritative on the subject of geocaching yet. I think those individuals who feel that they know it all on the subject are the ones who still have things to learn yet.

We have only begun geocaching since we pooled all of our gift money into one big kitty and purchased a Rino 110.

*going back into the lurk box now*

;) Been lurking for a while here, so now I will come into the light.

Caching since October, totally hooked.

Also don't speak in complete sentences anymore!

I am enjoying all the posts -- especially the ones from the 'troublemakers'. Just makes life interesting!

JegMag

Well?? My wife and I are new to this game. We found our first cache 11/ 24/03. We are going out today, 01/02/04 to a cache near us that requires 4x4.

One thing that I am having trouble with is finding the listings of "Locationless" caches. I stumbled into them with I downloaded a file, I forgot where I got it, that will up load waypoints to my Garmin 12. I found that a sort of the listings gave me some "Locationless" caches and I find them very interesting. I can not find them on the Groundspeak web site, or at least I don't know where or how to look for them.

Thanks in advance, RRSmith of Petite Elite, Prescott, AZ

I've been reading this forum with interest for about a month, and just found my first cache a few days ago, so I decided to wade in and get to know you folks.

I go caching with my kids, and they love it. They take turns zeroing in on the target.

I've been a frequent participant in other forums (woodworking, Sony Clie Users, Reef Aquariums, rocketry...) and it seems they all have their share of trolls, but they are easy to ignore and it's great to meet all these other great people!

Add another 'lurker' to the ever growing list - have just recently discovered the various threads - and haven't lurked enough to be put off by the harsh ones. We've been caching since mid-summer and are putting together 'stuff' for our first cache - Am I right is assuming (I know, I know) that you send in your plan and description to a 'checker' and wait for their reply to actually put the cache out?? Also, will they, if asked, make suggestions and comments? Shall continue to lurk and see if I get any answers!!

i read more than i post, so i guess i'm mostly a lurker. i only post when i feel i can add something to the thread. additionally, i avoid becoming involved in the negative threads. i think this is a fabulous site and enjoy the wide range of personality, wit, viewpoint, and experience exhibited in the forums. geocaching is one of the most democratic activities i've found in that just about anyone can participate in the game or in the forums. glad to be a part of the community. -harry

What exactly is a lurker? If it's someone who reads more than posts, than I would qualify. However, I only enter these realms about twice a year or so, and then mostly just to see what folks are using for their avatars. Today happens to be one of those days.

As for playing the game, I've been at it for almost 3 years now between San Diego, CA and Tempe AZ. I enjoy getting outside and geocaching is just something else to do while I'm out there.

Mark A. Pedersen

Well, this is my sixth post in this forum, so I guess I qualify as a lurker. I do like to post as frequently as I feel appropriate as I feel welcome in a forum. I've been posting in one discussion group or another since about 1991. I've had my posts both ignored (oh well) or massively flamed (ouch), so I'm used to both. Been Geocaching since September 2002, although my first official find wasn't until March of 2003. The family enjoys it and we hope to expand our finds into more of the world.

I guess I'm a lurker. I would be a more active poster but honestly I'm on a bit of information overload (that is a good thing :huh: ). When I visit the forums I feel like I'm in the Home Depot of Geocaching. As soon as I find the "Obsessed with Geocaching personal adds section" I'll likely start posting more...

Divorced WM, Father of 2 seeks female willing to climb obscure hills and mountains in seek of near worthless nic nac. Must be willing to endure cold, mud, rain, wind and insane heat. Bonus points if you have your own GPS, map software or can carry a 5 year old on your back while scrambling on scree.

Divorced WM, Father of 2 seeks female willing to climb obscure hills and mountains in seek of near worthless nic nac.  Must be willing to endure cold, mud, rain, wind and insane heat.  Bonus points if you have your own GPS, map software or can carry a 5 year old on your back while scrambling on scree.

New hobby eh? Good Luck with your search!! - MH

Yes, Hello, Um, yes, I mean, no, wait, um, I'm kinda shy, Um, No, well, OOOOOOOO I get so flustered, well, not really, but then again, um, yes. So, Uh, How you doin', Yes, well, uh, umm, What do you want me to say? I'm soo confused, um well, yes, uh are you talking to me?

Gotta Go!

Uh Bye

And of course I always end my posts with an offer of......

Peace!

Divorced WM, Father of 2 seeks female willing to climb obscure hills and mountains in seek of near worthless nic nac.  Must be willing to endure cold, mud, rain, wind and insane heat.  Bonus points if you have your own GPS, map software or can carry a 5 year old on your back while scrambling on scree.

Heck, climb a hill/mountain in the cold, mud and rain, while packing a 5 year old? Piece of cake! Mother of two ages 4 & 5 able to do all that while taking photo's and making sure the PB&J doesn't fall in the dirt! (P.S. I'm I'm not afraid to ask for directions either!)

I am new to Geocaching and found my way here through mapping bicycle routes for multiday tours. I had ordered a unit, still waiting on the package, when I was searching for maps to use in my route project. I pulled up geocaching as one of my search results and now I am hooked.

In fact I will be geocaching by bicycle this summer....I have but a few posts but found that a wide range of information is available based on searching the forums.

I also moderate a chat board related to cycling and you can get strong opinons from folks...most times these are iggyed.

My other goal is I also want to meet a cute lawyer from Nebraska that likes to geocach - I bet this is one in a million...*Grin*

nuff said...enjoy the sport

CG

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if I am repeating some peoples thoughts or am off topic (which I think BC said you couldn't be on this post).

I think I am somewhere below 100 posts still. I definitely got into a few heated "debates" on here concerning one or two topics. It just got really frustrating and I stayed away from the forums for a while (the ONE good thing about work).

Now I try to read only the things that I have an interest in. I even posted a positive thread about some great customer service from Groundspeak. The fact of the matter is - I didn't feel like dealing with people who were going to call me a "newbie" (in a derogatory tone) or something else because I cached for a shorter time period than they did. As a matter of fact - I had more finds than most of the people I was arguing with.

It is all rather stupid. I think the forums were designed to be a place for people to get together to talk about and find out more about Geocaching - a place to exchange ideas. I don't think they were ever intended to be a place for people to argue over things. You don't have to agree with everyone - but you shouldn't put them down for their opinion. I would like to see the forums stay away from the personal attack crap. Honestly - there are some serious psychos out there who could probably track you down - you don't know who you are f'ing with. Me personally, I don't care, anyone who knows me well will tell you that.

I for one am staying away from getting involved in any personal BS attacks on here. It is not worth the time or effort and takes me away from what I am really doing on the site - looking up caches to find. From here on in I am going to do more lurking and less posting. I don't want my posts to exceed my finds because if I am sitting here, I am not out there.

Happy Hunting!

This is my first post. I sometimes lurk, but mostly because I don't have time to really get involved in the discussions... mostly I search the topics and discussions looking for information.... for instance, today I was trying to find out how to include a file other than a photo in a cache description. I am planning a puzzle cache and would like the answer to be a password for a password protected file as opposed to coordinates. The puzzle does not lend itself to numbers and I figured the file could have the real coordinates. This would also be a "self check" of the solution since the solution of the puzzle would unlock the coordinates of the file. Oh well, see, I'm already out of time!

-Sgt Stitches

Welcome, CycleGuy. 

I have done more than 50% of my caches by bicycle.

...My other goal is I also want to meet a cute lawyer from Nebraska that likes to geocach...

I know her address! :):tongue:

Thanks Septic....I am planning a self-contained trip on skyline drive this summer and I have already located a couple of caches that may be within reach.

I was only joking about the the Neb. Legal Gal...I just liked her Avitar and kept seeing it all over the forums. :)

CG

Edited by CycleGuy